Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra TV acts as a WiFi Hotspot

Just a comment really because I cannot find anywhere on the internet to turn it off.

I was running a WiFi scanner and noticed a new hotspot with a blank SSID. The MAC address indicated it was the Telstra TV and a search of the internet reveals that this is a known characteristic of the Roku.

From what I gather it is for the WiFi remote which of course Telstra do not provide.

So it seems that Telstra took the easy option of just hiding the SSID instead of disabling it.

No big problem you say!

Well I have a number of WiFi hotspots because of poor reception

in various sections of the house and the Telstra TV Hotspot channel jumps around sometimes

so could be affecting my performance.

The real issue is that I have no idea of the security of these devices. It is all very well

to say that the hotspot is isolated from my local network but anyone who is familiar with

the 32764 port access security hole in routers will understand.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra TV acts as a WiFi Hotspot

This network supports the screencasting functionality of Telstra TV. You can turn it off in SETTINGS -> SYSTEM -> ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTING -> DEVICE CONNECT.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Spot on.

Thanks!
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi we are heading off on a camping trip in our caravan and are trying to find out if our iphone 5se hotspot will act as the wifi for our telstra tv on the caravan tv?? Cant seem to find out if it will work or is poserful enough to run netflix etc!

hopefully, Deblarko

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Deblarko, 

Your Tesltra TV should be able to connect to your iPhone 5se hotspot. The factors you need to consider when doing this are:

1. Your iPhone's data allowance - Since your Telstra TV will be using your iPhone's data connection to access Netflix etc
  2. The services that you use will be 'metered' so you'll need to be aware of the amount of data it takes to watch movies and catch-up TV.

You can use the following as a guide:

Netflix can use a lot of data. According to Netflix 'Watching movies or TV shows on Netflix uses about 1 GB of data per hour for each stream of standard definition video, and up to 3 GB per hour for each stream of HD video.'

• 1GB per hour for SD,
  • Up to 3GB per hour for HD
  • 7GB per hour for Ultra HD

Netflix link.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more