Level 1: Cadet

Telstra TV and google Home

Hi, I have just purchased a Telstra TV2 and a Google Home Mini. Does anyone know how I can sync these so I can control my TTV2 via my google home? I mainly just want to be able to get netflix and stan to play on command.
TIA.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Telstra TV and google Home

To the best of my knowledge, at least at this stage, Google Home is not able to control Telstra TV, there is a Telstra TV app that you can use to control it but, again at least at this stage, it isn't voice controllable that I have come across.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Hi DrQ, thank you for that. So is the only way to be able to get my google home to play netflix is through a chromecast or something similar?

Yeah. That would be right at the moment I believe chromecast support is required for google home. At least without third party apps. There is some third party app that help teach your google home a “skill” to be able to control Roku devices but as the Telstra TV is a adapted version of the Roku I am not sure if it will work perfectly. I just tested the appestry quick remote skill and it recognised the Telstra TV for basics like pause and play but I haven’t gone and tested it thoroughly. I suspect issues will likely arise on less basic things or where Telstra’s firmware differs but might give you basics.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 2: Rookie

It's not a great solution but that appestry app does work via voice control.

It's called Quick Remote for Google Home
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appestry.clicker

You can say things like
"Ok Google. Tell quick remote to start netflix"

"The tell quick remote to ... " is a bit awkward and I've found you sometimes have to issue channel commands twice but it works

Full list of commands here.
http://www.appestry.biz/qr

The free version shows ads. They come at inopportune times. I'd probably just fork out for a Chromecast instead instead of subscribing

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking the same thing, I'll just get a chrome cast for convenience. Thanks again!

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more