Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TV doesn't work after connecting to wireless

Hi, I'm having trouble with my Telstra TV3. On setup it finds my wireless network and indicates that it is connected via wireless with excellent signal strength. It indicates the correct network name, wireless channel, and IP and MAC wireless addresses. And then it just sits there. I can't get it to do anything else. The Telstra message support has been useless. I explained the issue to the Telstra techo at my local Telstra shop. They did the usual try restart/reset for the device, my modem, etc. Finally they suggested come in and replace the unit - which i did. Same issue. I haven't had any issues with my NBN (apart from the 6 weeks of run around in getting it finally working!). The TV3 is hooked into a Sony Bravia (8 years old) that has been faultless thus far. I'm at the point I'm ready to bin the unit and get a refund after this latest bout of run around. Can anyone suggest what I should do from here? Have I missed something?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Re: Telstra TV doesn't work after connecting to wireless

Hi @Maznet 

All I can suggest is trying the Telstra tv  support numbers I will list below.

1800 882 389 
1800 087 688

Or the app

Send a message (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen) and if Codi sends you somewhere else, type "Speak to a consultant" and it should transfer you to the queue to chat to a human.

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Highlighted

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

Highlighted

I would recommend trying in normal business  hours for best results.

So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Rohan
Highlighted

What a run around today trying to get someone from tech support to assist. The first number 1800 882 389 went to "billing". They did the whole check my account thing then tried to get someone from tech to assist. No luck. Phone call dropped out 3 or 4 times so this went on for ages. Finally they gave me a 1800 502 502 number. This number is to tech support says "the support centre is closed" and "call back in business hours" - Seriously!!!! The 1800 087 688 doesn't go anywhere. Tried again through billing and got someone in Adelaide who genuinely tried to assist me with some technical support even though it's not her job. She spoke to her supervisors,etc. None of them could get anyone from tech support at all. She refunded my Telstra TV oulay so far and said "I'm not sure what else you can do from here".

So, I'm going to just have to work this out myself I guess. So firstly,

• Can anyone tell me if the "old TV" might be the issue?
  • Can I hook up the TV3 to a PC monitor or my laptop?

1800 087 688

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

• Have you tried to factory reset the TV3?
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

A factory reset will update your software and apps to the latest version.
  1. In the Telstra TV menu select Settings.
  2. Select System.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Factory reset.
  5. Enter the 4-digit code shown on your TV screen.
  6. Press OK
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted

Yes. With both units.

Highlighted

I can't physically navigate to the menu. It won't allow me.

Highlighted

Update... I grabbed a monitor and ethernet connection and tried setting up the Telstra TV3. To my surprise, it worked a charm. Was able to activate my Telstra TV3 and test it out briefly, albeit without sound. So that's a win! Only issue now is that my Telstra TV3 will not connect wirelessly anymore. I've tried restarting the modem and Telstra TV3. Has anyone got any tips or tricks i could try?

Highlighted

Hi again @Maznet 

Sorry to hear your issue hasn't been resolved.

On the up side you actually got to speak to someone from Telstra which isn't easy these days.

I believe the person you spoke to in Adelaide was from the saves team hence why they couldn't offer tech support but could credit you for the months it hasn't been working.

The numbers I gave you were for Telstra tv support.

Just the whole covid19 thing has thrown all the call centers in to disarray.

This next suggestion sounds bonkers, Ask for a Telstra tv2 not 3. I have read about lots of issues with the tv3 but I have a tv2 and never had any issues that couldn't be fixed with all you have tried previously. I'm assuming you are trying to connect it to a to a Telstra wifi connection? (forgive me if that question sounds dumb)

Other suggestions.

Keep it connected via  ethernet connection.

For trouble shooting, try hot spotting off your mobile to see if it will connect to any wireless devices or if it's just a problem connecting to your home wifi.

Only other number I have,  Telstra Tech Support 1800 007 391

Contact Telstra on there twitter page https://twitter.com/Telstra

Contact Telstra on there Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Telstra
As Telstra is still monitoring social media pages.

Rohan
Highlighted

Thanks so much to everyone who's taken the time to respond. I finally got it all working at 2:30am! With the ethernet and monitor connected I tried everything I could think of - powering down monitor, modem, Telstra TV3, etc., Factory reset, multiple attempts at linking to wifi, etc. Was getting too late, so I connected the Telstra TV3 back to the tv and checked the activation/setup had still held. I tried a couple times to hook up the WiFi. On the the 3rd attempt I got ticks instead of crosses and the channel had changed to 1 (something I was going to look at next if it all didn't work). So upon checking it it seems to all work. Just need to sort out the tv remote, resolution, and look at what to watch. Thanks again to all your suggestions - much appreciated!

Happy for you, if I have helped in anyway Smiley Happy

Rohan
Highlighted

And now I have the black screen of death! Aaahhhh! I've tried all the usual powering down, unplugging cables, etc. No go! Tried a reset and now the wireless won't connect. Back to square one again. How f'ing frustrating!!! I'll try again later this evening...

Highlighted

Hi @Maznet 

well you have tried all that you can and have been quite patient.

you need to raise a complaint with Telstra.

Ill give you a few ways to go about this.

1. call  Telstra billing 1800 461 799 explain the situation, if your still unsatisfied, ask to raise an SR (service request) Telstra will have to fix this in a limited number of days.

2. raise a complaint here.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

3. contact the TIO.

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Rohan
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

If you have the Smart Modem Gen 1 or Gen 2 try disabling Protected Management Frames (WiFi-PMF) in the advanced WiFi settings of both the 2 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi bands.

Highlighted

Well I got it all working again fairly quickly last night with the old...

• hook up via the ethernet and monitor
  • do a system restart
  • activate the device (again!!!) and finalize setup
  • hook up via the tv
  • connect via the wireless (which always fails) and then select restart
  • cross my fingers that it works

I think the best thig for me to do now is to count my ucky stars that it working and go buy a 10m ethernet cable (that way I can just plug the Telstra TV straight to the internet and not move anything).

I'l keep those numbers and links handy though as I'm sure this will happen again, and again, and again...

Highlighted

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Its a gen 2 smart modem. I'll look into doing that if the issues persist. I've got it working again.

Highlighted

Hi @Maznet 

I would buy the cable Smiley Happy

Never trusted wireless to work all the time.

pluging in a cable seams to fix most things.

Even with a keyboard.

Rohan

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more