Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

Re: Telstra TV is it any good

I did not know that these type of people had a name , "Millenials" , even the name is spin , they are "Liars" or "Dishonest" , not to be believed or trusted

What is the world coming to when you have to call a spade a digging implement not a spade

Let the TRUTH rule

runaround

p.s. this is the 50th post in this thread still without a complete resolution , it also must be the biggest thread in the Telstra TV section

"Just someone trying to get my TelstraTV to work like in the advertisements"
Highlighted

I continue to read thread after thread with problems , it seriously looks like someone thought TelstraTV was a good idea and rushed it to market without a thorough and concise test albeit the rush was still late (lol)

Heard the interview months ago with the woman who heads up TelstraTV and she did not once mention any of the problems fellow posters or myself have encountered

Maybe she is a protected Ivory tower species

runaround

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

@runaround wrote:

Heard the interview months ago with the woman who heads up TelstraTV and she did not once mention any of the problems fellow posters or myself have encountered

Maybe she is a protected Ivory tower species

runaround

lol, She was actually a PR/marketing rep, not in charge of anything regarding the product itself. As if she would say anything negative even if she did know. Smiley Wink

Cheers!

Highlighted

Hi Datalore777

To ad to my comment it was Charlie Brown on 2gb and his introduction was she was the CEO of the TelstraTV , now I can only go on the info at hand if that was spin/incorrect they should be ashamed of their comments

runaround

Highlighted

I was actaully going off the ACA promo/story which was spruiking the vitues of the Telstra TV. have no idea about a radio interview, so I apologise if I got the people mixed up. Do you know the date approx it was? they may have it on archive somewhere.

EDIT: found it. It was who I was thinking of. Joe Pollard is from Telstra's Media and Marketing. Will have a listen and get some context about what was spruiked.

Cheers!

Highlighted

This interview was conducted on a Saturday morning i do believe either just before the delayed release or the release date of the TelstraTV my guess would placed it in the September/October region

I was unaware that ACA also touted the benfits without a thorough investigation that is pretty much like every story they do , I heard it described a superfluos truth

runaround

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@runaround, Sorry about the delayed response - we have been running some fairly thorough tests on your old Telstra TV and so far haven't been able to find any problems. As was previously mentioned, the original issue you were experiencing with the plus 7 app has been resolved by an app update - thanks again for bringing it to our attention. How is your new device going?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Yannick

The Plus7 situation was the first of many problems encountered with first TelstraTV (as listed in this thread) , the new one has shown up one problem so far (with little usage) that being the loss of sound on Tenplay and apparently I am not alone another contributor has the same problem posted in this forum

We have gone back to recording the shows we want instead of relying on the TelstraTV and that is a shame

But we live in hope that a trouble free situation will eventually arise through firmware and software updates

But I must say the new one is 95% better than the old one

Regards

runaround

Highlighted

An hour on iView last night , ran faultlessly , also noted Fox Sports and WooMoo (I think) are also now avaiable

runaround

Also noting still a number of complaints about TelstraTV flowing through on this forum

Highlighted

New fault threads continue to pop up , interesting reading , still wonder if there is an intrinsic design fault or compatibility problem with the Bigpond system

Amazed at how many blockhead faults also occur (lol)

runaround

Highlighted

Well time and this thread continue , for those just jumping in a quick story about my TelstraTV , best way to describe the situation is i had innumerable faults , all responses blamed problems at my end or i had to contact each of the app providers to get the individual problems sorted

Eventually got a replacement box this one runs about 95% better but still has the sound fault with Tenplay

I wish it performed the tasks without fault because I think the concept is a winner , that said it must work without drama

Anyway will keep all advised when and if total satisfaction becomes available

runaround

Highlighted

Well last night was an interesting experience , we thought we would watch a Bigpond movie , logged in , chose movie , paid for it , but was then told we need to register , register what they took the money and then tell you there is some form of problem , WHAT THE

How do you register a TelstraTV with Bigpond movies (it is activated)

Gave them the flick and started watching SBSon Demand part way through the show it stopped told me I had a problem then went back to the show (error message was to ring SBS about problem)

This little black box is full of excuses and very little action

runaround

Highlighted

@runaround wrote:

How do you register a TelstraTV with Bigpond movies (it is activated)

Bigpond Movies is a separate registration from the Telstra TV unit. Log into your Telstra acount and sign-up if not already,

Cheers!

Highlighted

Did not have to do any of that datalore777 when we had the old one , managed to occasionally get it to run on Bigpond movies , the new one on Saturday and Sunday night threw up a multitude of problems on Bigpond movies i.e. Not HTTP or server error blah blah then OK ,that is really helpful

I figure the new and improved one just has more excuses as to why it does not work properly , if you go through the computer all works magically well , as Julius Sumner Miller once asked "why is it so"

runaround

Highlighted

This is what Bigpon movies said to do

Please turn off all devices at the wall including modem for five minutes and try again. If problem is not resolved please follow steps below:

Please attempt a System Restart of your Telstra TV.

1. From the Home screen scroll down to Settings and click ok
2. Select System
3. Select System Restart and click ok

Your Telstra TV should now turn itself off and back on. Please go back on to Bigpond Movies Application and locate movie on my rentals if already purchased. If you still have issue please see instructions below:

Once your Telstra TV is on the Home screen again please also check your software to find out if there are any new updates.

1. Scroll to Settings
2. Click on System
3. Select Software update
4. Click on Check Now

If issue is still not resolved on your Telstra TV, please attempt a full Factory Reset. Please be aware once completing factory reset you will need to reconnect internet and sign back in to any other applications used on Telstra TV.

1. From the Home screen scroll down to Settings and click ok
2. Select System
3. Select Advanced System Settings and click ok
4. Select Factory Reset

If you are still having problems, please do not hesitate to contact the BigPond Movies team at help@bigpondmovies.com <mailto:help@bigpondmovies.com> or call us on 1800 502 502

(Monday – Friday 9:30 am to 11:00 pm AEST, Saturday 11:00 am to 11:00 pm AEST, and Sunday 12:00 pm to 10:00 pm AEST, every day except Christmas

Highlighted

Did a System restart yesterday afternoon TelstraTV ran Ok for a while then whilst watching GoPro half the screen had a message that it failed , funny that the message was on the bottom half of the screen and picture was still running on the top half , go figure

Then it tells me my connection failed

Got the box going again

Decided to watch movie last night got the same message as previous HTTP or server is Blah blah blah

Gave it another system reboot and as Jackie Gleeson used to say "äway we go"

Movie and an hour of Plus 7 ran faultlessly

So does this mean like an old car I have to crank start it or possibly use some percussive maintenance to get a brief period of operation

I am becoming more and more convinced that the product is not of a satisfactory standard as defined and maybe a recall of all to rectify these ongoing problems being experienced

runaround

Highlighted

In just 3 days it is amazing how many complaints have popped up

Tell me with conviction there is not a problem

runaround

Highlighted

Still more complaints flow in some make interesting reading and put some peoples credibility into question but we still have a problem

runaround

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

H Runaraound,

I can confirm we are working hard on a fix for the BigPond movies and the Tenplay app issues. As you say, these issues are affecting a lot of people and are a very high-priority, but I do not have a solution for either as yet.

As always, thanks for bringing these issues to our attention.

Zeke
Highlighted

Good to know Zeke , do you know what was the outcome of my old TelstraTV

Runaround

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Runaround,

After a fair-few tests, we were unable to find any hardware faults on the device. We believe that the improvements you have seen on the new device are related to the continual software updates that we have been sending through on the apps and on the firmware for Telstra TV. 

Thanks again,

Zeke 

Highlighted

Hey Zeke

My only question to the faults with the old one is how come I appeared to be the only one experiencing continuous and ongoing problems

New one ran 90 minutes 7play faultleesly last night

runaround

Highlighted

Again had 1 hour of faultless viewing last night (Good Wife on Tenplay) however before we start watching anything i do a system restart , now I do not know if this helps but apparently it does not cause any problems ????

I still note the ongoing flow of complaints and the comments they are known issues , most are what i endured/suffered last year and early this year but was mostly informed that it was at my end

Well again it appears my end was correct and the other end (TelstraTV) was wrong

I still have not received a satisfactory answer to the problems i put up with and most of the rubbish I was told (some staff did help)

Anyway to all those interested in the results I will continue this thread

As to whether it is good value I would still suggest MK2 might be the best option for your hard earned money

runaround

Highlighted

New problem to me but others are already enjoying it , Plus7 goes back to start of show at first ad break

We supposedly put a man on the moon in the 60s but cannot get a streaming device to run a TV show properly

Still awaiting some form of definitive resolution

runaround

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hey runaround,

I have heard that this has been a problem for a few different people on a few different platforms, leading me to conclude the issue lies with the app itself, not the hardware. I haven't been definitively been able to determine whether the app can be uninstalled and reinstalled, but as you have hands on access would you give this a crack and report back?

Otherwise we are waiting for an update to the app. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hey Big Dan

Just for you I did an uninstall app reinstall app on Plus7 , system update and system restart , then watched a Plus7 show till the first break , it went to black screen for approx 2 seconds and show then continued on

No restart of show however what happened previously is the screen went to "loading" then reverted to start of show

Hope this helps in finding a resolution and the bill is in the post

runaround

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks runaround, sounds like that has it nailed - will advise this to people in the future.

As I said, I'm inclined to think it's a problem within the app itself, I'm confident an update to the app will resolve it.

Thanks again for getting hands on, and letting us know.

Highlighted

Hey Big_Dan

You got excited too early , watched Plus 7 last night (Blacklist) after doing a System restart and got 2/3rds of the way through then the voices went out of synch with the pictures , approx 3 seconds

So someone still has a bit of work to do

runaround

Highlighted

Have still not received any form of answer that would satisfy any fair minded person , we can only continue to be patient as I feel that eventually someone will resolve the situation

runaround

Highlighted

I know this is not linked to the numerous faults with the TelstraTV but was a bit miffed when last night 25/5 went to watch the Blacklist on Plus7 and it was not there , have watched it previously on Plus7 , what is the go

That is my most favourite show like really good you know

Surely someone at Telstra has the intestinal fortitude to ring the various providers and kick some butt , or do we all just sit around contemplating our navels

I mean Plus7 , 9Now and all the others include us as viewers when they give their sales spiel to the advertisers , well guess what advertisers anyone who quotes viewing figures and includes TelstraTV owners is B-llsh-tting you big time because the number of faults with the little box are numerous

runaround

Highlighted

@runaround wrote:

but was a bit miffed when last night 25/5 went to watch the Blacklist on Plus7 and it was not there

I thought the season had finished last week? I know it has in the US in any case. I thought 7 fast tracked Blacklist?

Cheers!

Highlighted

Hey datalore777

It finished on Sunday night 22/5 with a double episode , luckily i recorded it , but tried the TelstraTV first and it was not there , previous episodes have been available

If you missed those episodes I have it recorded

runaround

Highlighted

Still no responses even though I have been exceedingly helpful in performing tasks to asses the TelstraTV , it still does not enjoy my faith and the response to anyone considering a purchase would be Caveat emptor or Buyer beware

runaround

Highlighted

I shall continue to bump this thread to the top of the forum until someone can give some answers that rectify the problems that surface almost daily on the forum

Now some are posts that common sense may alleviate but others continue to have problems with little or no assistance

runaroundMan Frustrated

Highlighted

Bump to top so all and sundry can read and form an opinion about the little black box

runaround

ps Sean I am still waiting for that promised phone call

Highlighted

I think you're flogging a dead horse at this point Smiley Wink

Cheers!

Highlighted

I knew I was flogging an incopetent dead horse a few months back but if no negative feedback is posted everyone will think all is rosy in the Telstra garden

runaround

Highlighted

Understood, but I would say that there is plenty of complaining about Telstra (and the Telstra TV) both here and on whingepool Smiley Wink You're not the only one!

Cheers!

Highlighted

Bump back to top so people are aware of the numerous ongoing faults with the little black monster

In the over  2 weeks since the last post it is amazing how many problems be they self inflicted or genuine have occurred

runaround

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Some aspects work well and its great that it offers Australian content however Telstra are not taking advantage of the large amount of apps that already exist for the Roku platform effectivly making the device restritive and under developed.

Telstra needs to bring more Roku apps to this device and Presto needs to update there interface and player.

Highlighted

Thanks Tyson48 agree wholeheartedly but before they follow your fantastic suggestions they have to get it to work faultleesly and at this stage it is a long way short

If they ever bring in "Lemon Laws" the TelstraTV would certainly be amongst the winners

Highlighted

Two weeks since last post , the complaints and customer faults still flow in , the fix is still as far away as my first post

But do not give up the rebranding of Telstra is running smoothly and I guess that is very important , we can fix faults later

runaround

Highlighted

3 weeks since last posting and the only thing that has changed is the list of complaints from other contributors continues to grow

Big hint Complaint resolution means actually solving them not ignoring them

runaround

Highlighted

Another 2 weeks have flown by with still the same problems showing up in this forum , I wonder if a resolution will ever surface

runaround

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi runaround,

Can you confirm if your Telstra TV is connected to the modem via Ethernet or if it is using the 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz Wi-Fi network?  I only ask as I have had another user post that they changed the device from connecting on the 5 Ghz to the 2.4 Ghz and this resolved their streaming issues. 

- Shelly

Highlighted

Hi

It is all hard wired , all problems experienced are not related to my installation

runaround

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It is the nature of support forums that most people only come look for answers when they are having problems, so the ratio of negative posts are going to be much higher than on a forum about other subjects such as general interests like camping, TV shows etc. 

Not all issues are going to be caused by the Telstra TV hardware. In  previous comment I mentioned a customer who was having an issue with a specific app on the Telstra TV which was resolved by changing to the 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi channel. In that instance, the symptoms where experienced on the Telstra TV but the cause was the Wi-Fi signal on the modem.  I understand that this isn't relevant to your configuration, however it is an example how sometimes the fault may be something not directly related to the device.

What are the issues that you are currently experiencing? Since this post has begun, I can see that several app issues have been addressed. If you are experiencing difficulties with a specific app, can you confirm if you have the same experiencing when using their app on a tablet/smart phone or computer? 

- Shelly

Highlighted

As to your comment about support forums you are 110% correct however in the case of Telstra and the Telstra TV any other form of contact/assistance was utterly useless in most cases , yes the squeaky wheel does get the oil

However with Telstra the situation is what squeak and what the heck is oil hardly a good customer service situation

Anyway my problems are still going back to start of a show after partial viewing , voice picture alignment , failure to load app/timeout , do not use any computer or phone to compare these faults

Many have offered to assist but when the crunch came they evaporate into the Telstra maze

You will have to read the whole thread to see what ludicrous and plain dumb things that have been atributed to the problems experienced in wanting a little black box to do its job 

runaround

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Which app returns to the start of the program? Have you tried removing the app and adding it again to see if that resolves the issue? In regards to the voice and picture alignment, can you confirm if you have are using a sound system/sound bar or if the audio is coming directly through the TV itself?

I would suggest trying to download the apps on your computer or smart phone to see if the same issue is experienced across multiple devices or if it is an issue with the app itself.

- Shelly

Highlighted

& and 10 were the 2 channels that restarted , no sound directly through TV and as to trying other devices to replicate the problem , No Thank You

I have Restarted , rebooted , reinstalled this little box innumerable times and never has it operated in a manner that would satisfy the prerequisite of being of marketable quality

Seldom do we use it and as to spending time in fiddling continually with it I am pretty much over it , that said if someone comes up with the definitive answer as to what and why the little box does not function correctly and gives the answer to all and sundry I will try that

Now I see innumerable problems listed through this forum some are people based and others are actual faults so I take some consolation in the fact I am not alone , sad consolation as it is

Anyway you have a good day , I will occasionally contemplate what I could have bought for $100.00 that worked on time every time (lol)

runaround

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more