JMS48
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra TV not connecting to wifi all of a sudden

Hey there , hoping someone can help me, I turned on my Telstra TV today and it told me it wasn’t connected to the wifi , so when I searched for it ours is not coming up in the list of 5 or 6 which are obviously belonged to our neighbours, we have tried all the usual things , power off everything, reset to factory settings, turned off modem , plugged out actual nbn box and still nothing, every other device had no issues connecting.. I’m at a loss, would love if someone could offer an explanation.. PS we have tried to put in our code manually and that’s not working 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra TV not connecting to wifi all of a sudden

Try using an ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi and see if that works..

My guess is that your modem has had a firmware updatre, so testing with a cable will help prove that..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

Can you tell us what modem you have (label on the bottom usually)?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
JMS48

Hi Steve, it’s a Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 with voice backup , everything was working up to Christmas Eve and then the Telstra TV cannot find the connection, nothing has moved, nothing has been added, all other devices are recognising the wifi and I’ve managed to connect it using my mobile hotspot but it is still not showing out wifi 

SteveW_52

If there is an issue with Wi-Fi, connecting by an ethernet cable temporarily will prove that. Then we can try to resolve the Wi-Fi issue if it is there..

On the bottom of the modem there should be a make and model number - can you provide that? There are two versions of the SM2, on is susceptible to 2.4 GHz wi-fi failure..  the other type might just need some setting changes. So the more troubleshooting you can do, the better we can help you..

Stevo 52
JMS48

Hi Steve , I only have this modem about 2 weeks , model DJA0231, it doesn’t say the make , does technicolor help?

SteveW_52

Yes, its a Telstra Smart Modem 2 (Technicolor DJA0231). Have you only had trouble since shortly after getting the modem?

That is the model that has been reported often here, as the 2.4GHZ Wi-Fi failing for no reason.. so again, an ethernet cable connection will prove that..

Do you have a device (PC, Laptop) that can connect to the modem by wi-fi or ethernet? Log into the modem at 192.168.0.1 using the Username: admin  and Password: Telstra..

Click on Advanced bottom left option should show the Wi-Fi details..  are there one or two networks showing? what are the names?

If there is only one name then Band Steering might be enabled - go to the Wi-Fi page and look for the Band Steering Enabled switch and turn it off. Save the setting and note that you will now see two networks being broadcast (hopefully, if the 2.4 hasn't failed). The 5G network will be identified now with -5G added to the network name. You should be able to see that when a device needs to connect by Wi-Fi.

While you are there also check to see if Protected Management Frames is enabled, I have known this to upset the Telstra TV boxes, so turn that off for both 2.4 and 5Ghz radio (Wi-Fi) and save the settings..  now try the Telstra TV and see if it will connect as it did previously. Make sure everything is saved and then log out of the modem GUI.

If those changes don't fix the Telstra TV connection problem, then use an ethernet cable temporarily.

Report the faulty modem via the My Telstra app, Get Help, chat window. When you get to Codi you can type 'speak to a consultant' or just 'consultant' to bypass Codi and get added to a queue...  someone will contact you back by a message, which could take hours..  you don't need to wait, stay logged in to the app, with notifications enabled and you can close the app - the message will notify you even if the app is closed and you can continue with the chat straight away..

Stevo 52

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more