ausgumbie
Level 11: Detective

Telstra TV (Roku 2) as a 'Hidden Network'

Answered

A query under network security. This might be more appropriate elsewhere, but I'll leave it to mods if I'm in the wrong forum.

Our NBN network is the NBN connection box (ARRIS Touchstone CM8200B), then a F@st 5355 router, and by cables from the router, a VoIP phone and Telstra TV box (Roku 2). Computers and devices are attached periodically by Etnernet cable or WiFi.

Where we live, we're more-or-less cheek-to-cheek with our neighbours. Spurred along by one scare (real or imagined) I've been teaching myself (starting from a low! non-network-savvy base) about network security and this question is part of an ongoing self-teaching process.

I had noted "a" Hidden Network – sometimes with full bars, sometimes not, appearing on the Windows 10 scanner. Later, I discovered Command Prompt and the command "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid". This showed me two "Hidden Networks", one with a weak signal and WEP security and another, with almost the same signal strength as my 5GHz wifi, and almost the same MAC address as our Telstra TV, and on the same broadcast channel as our 5GHz. Only the Radio Type differs, the 5GHz being 802.11ac, with the Hidden Network 802.11n.

It's the "almost the same MAC address" that has me a bit worried. Our Telstra TV has appeared as follows (Where L = Upper-case Letter, l = lower-case letter, # = numeral, and the two digits in the last octet – perhaps unnecessarily – aren't the real ones):

l#:ll:#l:##:l#:45 and
L#:LL:#L:##:L#:46.

The "45" MAC address is the one I see in the management GUI (and on one "arp -a" command report), while the "46" (i.e., one numeral higher ) is what is on the bottom of the Roku's case.

The MAC address of the Hidden Network of interest is like: l#:ll:#l:##:l#:4b. That is, instead of either a 5 or a 6 as above, the last digit (actually) is "b".

One thought I had is a spoofed mac address – not pleasant. The other is this. The Roku 2, I understand, offers WiFi Direct (which I also understand can be turned off). The thing is, I'd imagined, there being only two components – the box and the handset – and already two MAC addresses, why a third?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

ausgumbie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TV (Roku 2) as a 'Hidden Network'

There are three MAC addresses on the Telstra TV2.

1. LAN Port
  2. WiFi connection to router
  3. Mira cast WiFi

I don't think the Telstra TV supports WiFi Direct.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Accepted Solution

There are three MAC addresses on the Telstra TV2.

1. LAN Port
  2. WiFi connection to router
  3. Mira cast WiFi

I don't think the Telstra TV supports WiFi Direct.

View solution in original post

ausgumbie
Level 11: Detective

Hi cf4

Sorry to be tardy replying - odd time at moment.

That explains the three! Many thanks

ausgumbie

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more