ausgumbie
Level 11: Detective

Telstra TV (Roku 2) - More Questions

Hi all

This thread develops from another thread (Telstra TV (Roku 2) as a 'Hidden Network').

Rather than seeking help with a particular problem here, I'm chasing information to help me understand the Roku's behaviour and what I see of it in the Windows 10 Available Networks Scanner (which I'll shorten to "W10ANS") and the scan command, "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid" (which I'll shorten to "cmdnetsh").

1. In the earlier thread above, I identified a "Hidden Network" of about the same strength as my 5 GHz wifi with the Telstra TV (Roku 2). The "Hidden Network" had always appeared on the same channel as my 5 GHz wifi, regardless of what the channel was.

2. After some online reading, I experimented with Windows 10 Settings > System > Display > Connect to a wireless display.

This detected only one wireless display - our TTV/Roku. Even though I didnt click on it, on immediately checking the W10ANS, I found the (strong) "Hidden Network" SSID had changed to "DIRECT-roku-###-##L##L" (where "#" stands for a numeral and "L" a capital letter).

The first number accorded with the identity of the Roku in our router's GUI. I followed this with a cmdnetsh scan and confirmed strength, channel, MAC address etc.

After some time, I noted the "DIRECT-roku-###-##L##L" SSID had changed back to "Hidden Network".

OK, so the (strong) Hidden Network had definitely been my TTV.

3. From other online reading, I'd gathered this "Roku wifi" (as I'll call it for short) "tracked" your 5 GHz wifi. That is, it was always on the same channel as your 5 GHz wifi, regardless of what the channel was. And so it seemed. I kept copies of my cmdnetsh logs back a month and noted the Roku wifi was always on the same channel as our 5 GHz wifi (say, 36 or 149). However, since 24 May, it has changed to channel 6 (a 2.4 GHz channel!)

4. Also, I've long noted the Roku wifi's SSID (whether "Hidden Network" or "DIRECT-roku-###-##L##L") has never stuck around on scans like routers' SSIDs seem to, but rather, it seems to appear for a short time and disappear. When it appears and disappears is unpredictable.

So, questions:

A. Does anyone know if the Roku wifi is supposed to be tied to your 5 GHz wifi? If it should be, how do I interpret the change of channel (and frequency)?

B. The appearing - disappearing - not sticking around. Is the Roku wifi actually functioning like a network? Or is it just pinging automatically every so often to see if anyone's interested? Or ... ?

Any and all thoughts appreciated

ausgumbie

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra TV (Roku 2) - More Questions

The band used by the Telstra TV Hidden Network depends on the band used by the Telstra TV to connect to the gateway.. If the Telstra TV uses the 2,4GHz band then the hidden network uses the same band.

I don't know why it pulses. If you turn on "Project to this PC" on your PC this will also appear as a pulsing WiFi network using same WiFi channel as used for connection to gateway. Settings > System > Project to this PC

When scanning for nearby networks I find it easier use a free WiFi analyzer. There are free apps for Android, IOS and Windows. On my windows 10 PC I use the WiFi analyser app by Matt Hafner.

ausgumbie

Sorry for slow reply,

Many thanks.

@cf4 wrote:
The band used by the Telstra TV Hidden Network depends on the band used by the Telstra TV to connect to the gateway.. If the Telstra TV uses the 2,4GHz band then the hidden network uses the same band.

That's the bit that's puzzling me. The TTV had previously been using 5 GHz channels. Now, it's suddenly on a 2.4 GHz channel. I don't know why it's changed. I haven't tried mirroring it with my old laptop (a 2.4 GHz machine) or anything. But in any case, the connection would have been - as with my experiment (using a newer laptop) - via ethernet cable. I'm stumped.

@cf4 wrote:
When scanning for nearby networks I find it easier use a free WiFi analyzer. There are free apps for Android, IOS and Windows. On my windows 10 PC I use the WiFi analyser app by Matt Hafner.

I've seen that and might give it a go alongside the netsh ... command. The net view command doesn't work (error 6118). Do you use free or premium WiFi Analyzer?

Many thanks

ausgumbie

ausgumbie

Addition to last post.

I've tried WiFi Analyzer (Free). I'm amazed at how Access Points fluctuate!

The same SSIDs go up and down on dB, or SSIDs just disappear ("Out of Range") and eventually reappear. My "Hidden Network" - yes, as you say cf4 - just "pulses". I can't make head or tail of it.

It seems to have nothing to do with the behaviours of other SSIDs on the same channel.

Anyone? Any ideas?

ausgumbie

cf4

I use the free WiFi analyzer. On the PC in the Windows 10 store there are several free ones. I use Matt Halfner. In Android's play store there are several I use the one by Kevin Yuan.
ausgumbie

Thanks cf4. I'll stick to the free version of WiFi Analyzer too. I might check out the Android offerings also.

Cheers

ausgumbie

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more