Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TV wireless connection

Hi, 

I received the smart modem which supports dual band wifi frequencies (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz). The smart modem solved the dead zone problem and I found that 5 GHz gave faster speed than 2.4 GHz and I also found that the modem automatically switched between two frequencies. So I disabled 2.4 GHz and the performance is always good now. However, I found some side effect that telstra tv, which was no problem in wireless connection before, had now internet connection problem after I only supported 5GHz wifi. So I think telstra tv only supports 2.4 GHz. Is there any solution to this? Any firmware upgrade for telstra tv to support 5GHz wifi or should I enable 2.4 GHz wifi in the smart modem, sacrificing some speed downgrade?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Telstra TV wireless connection

Hi yuby8118, 

If you're noticing an issue with your Telstra TV after disabling the 2.4 GHz WI-Fi then I'd certainly advise that you re-enable it.

The beauty of the 5G Wi-Fi channel is that it will be less likely to be congested like the 2.4GHz channel which will be competing with things like your neighbour’s Wi-Fi and other wireless devices using it. 

5GHz and 2.4GHz each have their advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of both worlds, I'd recommend having them both enabled.  

5GHz offers higher throughput at a shorter distance, while 2.4GHz offers increased coverage and higher solid object penetration.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more