yrrag
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TV

Answered

Telstra TV keeps dropping out and returning to home page, am wired from modem to telstra TV. modem appears to be working ok. model 4700TL-Telstra TV, modem DJA0230

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TV

Is this happening when trying to use Live TV channels? or for app's? or both?

Has it just started happening and was OK previously? Which model Telstra TV?

There have been similar posts of this happening on Live TV channels, following a recent firmware update, which is being investigated.

I haven't noticed the problem on my TTV 3's

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
35 REPLIES 35
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Is this happening when trying to use Live TV channels? or for app's? or both?

Has it just started happening and was OK previously? Which model Telstra TV?

There have been similar posts of this happening on Live TV channels, following a recent firmware update, which is being investigated.

I haven't noticed the problem on my TTV 3's

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

yrrag

telstra tv keeps dropping out and returning to homepage

maybe every 2 0r 3 hours

Corey69
Level 1: Cadet

Re: telstra tv keeps dropping out and returning to homepage

Mine keeps losing internet connection, but then resumes playing after a minute or two. Any help would be appreciated 

SteveW_52

You probably should have started a new thread, or found one closer to your actual problem.

Is your TTV connected to the modem by Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable? If you are using Wi-Fi, try using a cable as a temporary fix to see if that works better.

If you are using wi-fi, it might be an issue with the modem Wi-Fi..  are any other devices having similar issues?

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

There jhave been other reports in CrowdSupport, of people experiencing the same problem..usually after a firmware update. Try to find those and see if any of the troubleshooting steps assist you. It might be necessary to powercycle the TTV.

Is your Wi-Fi connected to the modem by ethernet cable or wifi? If you are using Wi-Fi, try a cable instead to help prove where the fault might be.

Stevo 52
Geoffnut

Hi, we are experiencing this same problem, we have 3 TTV's and all of them are doing it. All are wifi connected and it stems from the latest software update on the 24/07/21 Software Ver:10.0.3 Build:6060. So if any techs are around, could you please help.  

SteveW_52

Did you try using an ethernet cable on one of those TTV's to see if that fixes the problem? If it does, then there could be an issue with the Wi-Fi from the modem - there are some setiing that can be changed to improve the Wi-Fi if that is the case. But you need to prove that is the problem first.

Stevo 52
yrrag

mainly live tv, just started happening and are hard wired

hades

Telstra TV keeps dropping out of live TV

Hi. I have had an ongoing issues over the last few weeks of the Telstra TV dropping out of live TV and going back to the menu at random times. I have rang Telstra twice and have done a hard reset as per instructions and this continues to happen. Is there a solution to this? I have noticed that others have had a similar issue before but I am unsure if it has been resolved.

TIA

SteveW_52

Re: Telstra TV keeps dropping out of live TV

If you are connecting the TTV by Wi-FI, try using a cable instead (even if only as a temporary troubleshooting option) and see if that fixes the issue?

Stevo 52
Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

Checking in hades, how are you going with this one?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

hades

Hi and thanks for the reply

I am not able to do this as I don't have a connection point in the same room as the TTV.

hades

It is still happening unfortunately. Is there anything I can try apart from connecting the TTV by cable to the internet? Thanks

SteveW_52

You need to connect the TTV to the modem, if it is in another room is it possible to move the TTV there, with and HDMI screen, just to test...

If it is a Wi-Fi issue (which comes from the modem) and you have proved that by using a cable, then it might be easier to get a replacement modem if that is required. Otherwise it will be hard to get Telstra to test either the Wi-Fi or the TTV..

Do you have other devices connected by Wi-Fi (preferably 2.4GHz) do they drop out about the same time?

Stevo 52
Graham123

Mine has been doing the same in recent weeks. I'm not surprised because it's just past the 24mnths that i was making repayments on it. Previously it was not doing that but was after a few hours asking if i was still there and a countdown timer even though i had all the settings turned off for standby or power saving. 

This is just random after 30 mins or so sometimes just freezes live TV and goes back to the menu without warning. Hope they get it sorted out.

Vyking
Level 3: Gumshoe

Yep, this has been happening to me the last few weeks.

It's fkn annoying!

Vyking

This is happening to me too, TV3

It's fkn annoying! I wish they'd leave good firmware alone.

Vyking

It's got nothing to do with cables or anything else.

It's Telstra's dodgy firmware again 😞

SteveW_52

@Vyking   Not always..  for instance I am on the latest firmware on my TTV3 and no such issues.  I have fixed a friends TTV3 device with that problem by changing from wi-fi to ethernet and doing a power recycle. Same firmware date as mine. That device has worked fine on cable ever since...  if it was just firmware, wouldn't all the TTV3's be showing that symptom?

Stevo 52
Vyking

I'm already using ethernet cables Steve.

I'll switch over to wifi and back again and see if that fixes the problem.

I'll let you know how I go.

Chucky_66

Same issue. The Telstra TV and TV3 (I have both) are a piece of crap. If the Apple TV had live TV, I'd dump both  Telstra TVs. Sound (music and remote news reports) on HD has a ticking (sound spikes) during transmission, as well as reboots to home when watching 7HD or 9HD. Have wired access points throughout the house providing 52Mbs download so Internet speed isn't issue. Yes, have done factory resets 5 times now and that makes no difference. Just a typical crap product that the seller (Telstra) don't give a toss about. As frustrating as it is, we just have to put up with it. We have been for years. Please Apple put in a tuner. Apple TV has a superior Video Card (which also produces a better image than Telstra TV's). p.s. I don't work for Apple but I do have a business that supplies/sells technology to Education/Government/Corporate, Quality technology that is, and the Telstra TV isn't one of them. Sorry folks, it's not made by Telstra (it's Roku), hence the reason why Telstra washes their hands of it. They don't make it so they don't have a clue why it screws up.

Geoffnut

Hi Steve, sorry for the late reply. I switched over to ethernet cable and there was no problem with the wired connection. Just as test I have a TTV1 and tried it and it worked fine on wifi, obviously it has different firmware, so it seems to be a TTV3 problem. 

SteveW_52

Glad that worked for you. Personally I prefer the good old copper connections. It's an odd one though, strangely there was a very similar problem with a recent firmware update for Foxtel IQ4's..  but that one stopped the ethernet port working, so the temporary was to run on Wi-Fi temporarily..  the next update fixed it and reenabled the ethernet port. 

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Curious to know if any other devices are having Wi-Fi issues? particularly 2.4GHz band (older devices).

Stevo 52
Graham123

Ah yes i also have the sound issue occasionally on 9HD and 7MATE forgot about that. Mine is connected via wifi but i don't think it makes a difference. It worked ok before and it's always been on wifi.

I would buy an Apple TV tomorrow if they had a tuner in it.

I only really use the Telstra TV because it has a better TV interface than my Smart TV. I'm thinking of ditching it and just using my TV but then there's all the money i paid Telstra for the device.

Chucky_66

The issue I think with the Telstra TV is the processor and memory capacity. The issues happen mainly when watching HD. The processor probably gets over heated and reboots, then if you pause or rewind it just freezes up and you have to reboot losing the paused info. Memory overload. The ticking sound is typical of the sound card not being able to process the information...again. So ultimately the Telstra TV is no better than watching live streaming TV shows on my Laptop. If I wanted to watch SD (that means Standard Definition Telstra Techs - I know you won't understand that), I wouldn't have purchased a UHD TV (look it up Telstra Techs). I have both Apple TV and Telstra TV 2 & 3 boxes (also had the original Telstra TV - You'd think I would have learnt by now), and when I change from TTV to Apple TV,  the image qualty is Chalk and Cheese. Maybe Telstra should have stuck to those little red things that Superman uses to get changed in.

Chucky_66

I run mine on Wi-Fi 2.4 and 5 and it make no difference. Have one in another room via Ethernet connected switch and it does the same). The speed test on that outlet is 51Mbs down/18Mbs up. My whole house runs auto lighting through Wi-Fi 2.4 and it's fine. It comes down to build quality and tech bits inside. When they were designed and ordered (not in house manufactured), the info coming in OTA (over the air), was no where near as data demanding as it is now, so if your processor and memory capacity haven't been over engineered to be future proof, it will always fail within a year or two.

SteveW_52

I can sense the frustration and agree that perhaps the TTV's are prone to overheating..  all mine sit out in the open on the cabinet top surface (open to breezes) and I don't have the reboot problems even though it can get pretty hot here. Where are your devices located? Is there anyway you can get some sort of clear air around the devices, or an airflow (even a small fan running off the USB port)?

Stevo 52
Barearmz

I have had 4 modems and 3 TTVs. Latest is only a few months old. All have had various problems. Mainly internet dropout but now in the last week live TV switching back to home screen. The Roku is crap. All Telstra tell you to do is reset both. It's a bit much every day and now doing it every couple of hours. Sh!t.

laurenyvonne
Support Team
Support Team

Have you tried checking to see if there are any software updates available?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Tio_Momo
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there, just checking in how you went here? - Elms 

TV21

Same issue here.... Watching live TV sometimes screen starts to pixelate then defaults back to home screen press live TV all good again.

Very annoying, if I were a betting person I would say dodgy software version 10.0.3.

None of my other live TV devices have any issues (Fetch TV) 

TY77

Hi there was a software update just lately and it has not fixed the problem. Live TV reverts back to Home Screen it’s doing it constantly. I have a laptop cooler underneath the Telstra TV 3 to see if it makes a difference. I called support they just said reset it which didn’t work, my tv signals are all above 95% It happens on Channels like 7 and 10. I can tell you the software update didn’t fix anything

AntoO
Support Team
Support Team

Hi TY77.

My best suggestion would be to chat with our support teams to do further troubleshooting.

Worst comes to worst, if the device is within it's warranty period we send you a new one.

- Anto

Tio_Momo
Support Team
Support Team

Hey there TY77, 

Quick check in, did you manage to speak with our Tech team about your Telstra TV? 

- Elms 

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more