hawty
Level 4: Private Eye

Telstra TV2 stretching/zooming images

Answered

In the last few days using Telstra TV2 and some videos on YouTube, Nine Now, SBS on Demand (?others not yet tried) get stretching/zooming of images (inc. people) on the screen so cannot see part of the picture. It does not happen with all scenes on the videos. The Telstra TV2 is linked via a HDMI cable to a Samsung TV LED (UA46ES7100M).Have not noticed it before.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TV2 stretching/zooming images

That's an unusual one? Can't say I have seen or heard of it before..  

Try the basics, power cycle, check settings, try for an update maybe? Try a different HDMI cable and a different port on the TV?

https://www.foxtel.com.au/customer-support.html

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict ๐Ÿ™‚ also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Scecclesia
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

I found that I could solve the problem by opening the program through a different page on the app, eg. search or categories.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

That's an unusual one? Can't say I have seen or heard of it before..  

Try the basics, power cycle, check settings, try for an update maybe? Try a different HDMI cable and a different port on the TV?

https://www.foxtel.com.au/customer-support.html

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict ๐Ÿ™‚ also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

hawty

I would be happy to have further suggestions re Telstra TV2 stretching/zooming images. It makes individuals in the foreground look huge. When I say Zooming I mean magnification - it is not growing larger as you watch (Hawty)

SteveW_52

Have you checked the TV itself to see if it has some 'zoom' setting or auto setting for display ration?

Stevo 52
Janelle10
Level 1: Cadet

Having this same issue! Keen for a fix

hawty

We still have this issue with some (but not all) videos on Telstra TV2. Does the problem still exist? Tried suggestions on this forum but  they did not work

PE91

Not a solution. None of the suggested things work. Too many identical complaints here to pretend it is a user hardware problem. Clearly it is a box software problem and needs to be fixed.

SteveW_52

Any troubleshooting requires testing to be done rather than 'assume' what other people say is correct..  so time consuming and painful as it can be, it pays to check everything in 'your' situation.. 

While the TTV is common to the problem, other devices like TV's might not be the same..  some of those 'variables' can influence the issue.

Stevo 52
PE91

Iโ€™ve checked all the TV settings including zoom and ratio. Iโ€™ve changed the HDMI port. Only thing I havenโ€™t done is change the cable. 

PE91

In passing, it only seems to happen on SBS on demand, and only on one particular program

SteveW_52

So that might be an SBS problem rather than a TTV one?

Do you have another TV that you can try it on?

Stevo 52
PE91

Donโ€™t have another TV that I can use except on FTA, but the same program works perfectly well on 2 tablets. If there is no fix Iโ€™ll just live with it anyaway

Scecclesia

Having this same issue at the moment with SBS...

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It usually happens when there is a change in the Aspect Ratio/Resolution of the video. The TV sees a certain signal (usually a low definition stream signal) and adjusts its picture setting accordingly. In the meantime, the app sends the correct signal, but that happens while the TV is adjusting to the Low Res signal so it misses it.

At the moment, the solution is to back out of the program that you are trying to watch on SBS and then select it again.

If you continue to experience the problem, contact SBS On Demand via https://help.sbs.com.au/hc/en-au/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000075215 to let them know of the problem. They have been excellent in the past in chasing down issues with their services.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
troi88

I am having the same problem.. worst affected app is 7Plus. 
I have tried everything suggested except new hdmi cable.. I will try that in the morning.

if you find a solution I would be very interested in it ๐Ÿ˜ cheers

troi88

Agreed.. although I am mainly having the problem with 7.. and only on my TV .. no prob on my iPhone.. definitely a software issue with Telstra TV

Jupiter

Contact 7Plus, they may need to update their app if it is happening regularly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
troi88

It is not an SBS app issue if others are experiencing the same problem on other apps.

If the apps are working fine on iPads, notebooks and phones.. it stands to reason the only common denominator is Telstra TV. 

troi88

Hi Jupiter 

yes I tried contacting them when it started happening.. sadly no response to date.

Jupiter

The apps are specific to the device operating system that they are running on. There may have been a change in the code within the Roku operating system that is causing an issue with some of the catchup service apps.

The apps are still the responsibility of the organisation that provides the service (7 network, SBS, ABC, etc). SBS and the ABC are very good at fixing issues that are reported to them, they value their streaming services very highly no matter which platform they are delivered on. The commercial networks, not so much.

Scecclesia
Accepted Solution

I found that I could solve the problem by opening the program through a different page on the app, eg. search or categories.

LadofthePool

Responding to Jupiter

I have the same sort of problems on SBS Demand Iview, 7Plus, Netlix also cannot rwnd or ffwd on live tv without system freezing. Basically like watching TV in the 1960's if you miss it its gone for good. You suggest its the Apps fault but feel as though its a problem with Roku.

cjm16

I sometimes have a similar issue when using the TV channel apps. I exit out of the app and then go back in. This seems to fix the problem. 

rrb1

Go to settings on your tv and make sure whichever hdmi port your Telstra tv is connected too, it is set to 4K.  Eg Your Telstra tv outputs in 4K so it will be hdmi 1,2,3 or 4 etc. Thatโ€™s why it zooms in because the Telstra tv is confusing your tv. Make sure that if you have a 4K player that you do this also otherwise your images will not be 4K. This solution worked for our Sony tv and hope it works for other brands also.

Jupiter

It doesn't work on non-4K TVs (like the one that the OP has).

The Telstra TV can output in 4K, 1080p, 576p, etc If it only did 4K, it wouldn't work with most TVs.

Jaynik

This was happening to me.....

I found that my Telstra tv wasnโ€™t auto detecting my tv resolution properly. Press home button-settings-display type and manually select your screen resolution. This worked for me. Funnily enough, I went back in and tried the auto detect again and it seemed to detect it properly this time. Hope that helps.

Reezy6

I had the same problem & tried your fix Jaynik which worked perfectly. Thank you so much

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more