HIArchie
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra TV3 freezes after Pausing Live TV

We have a Telstra TV3 that we use to watch LiveTV. The problem is after we pause a program it will sometimes freeze the device. The device beeps in response to key presses on the remote, but does nothing. The only way to get it to work again is to completely turn it off and back on (the power button on the remote is not enough)

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
30 REPLIES 30
HIArchie

Re: Telstra TV3 freezes after Pausing Live TV

Obviously a problem with the product ..

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Live-tv-pause-not-working/td-p/532982

Maybe Telstra should escate this instead of avoiding the issue!

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

They all mention the problem occurring with a USB stick inserted. Is that the same for you or don't you have a USB stick inserted into your TTV3?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
HIArchie

Ahh no. I did not see that.

The product is brand new and is installed as delivered by Telstra.

Exactly the same symptoms as described in the Roku posts though. Pause the LiveTV via the Roku remote and sometimes it will completely freeze. The remote continues to work and the unit beeps but nothing will restart the playback. Nothing fixes it except a power down/up.

Is a USB stick required?

Jupiter

No. It has inbuilt memory to take care of the pause function.

Have you tried factory resetting the TTV3 to see if that helps? It could be possible that a rogue instruction set has found its' way into memory and is causing the problem. It's not a problem that I've experienced with my TTV3.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
HIArchie

OK we have plugged in a Sandisk 150Mbs 64GB USB stick to see if it will solve/worsen the problem. Still happening randomly and Telstra has not responded to this post.

HIArchie

According to the Roku thread on Pause TV failures - (https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/Live-tv-pause-not-working/td-p/532982/page/5)

In reading through the discussion in this thread, it is apparent that some folks do not understand that USB drives wear out with use, and the Pause/Replay function, as implemented in the ROKU TV is essentially a torture test for such devices.

If that is true and the Telstra TV uses internal flash memory, then how long will these Telstra devices last?

TheCrasu

Our Telstra Roku set-top box is freezing a LOT after rewinding and fast-forwarding live TV. This never happened before; it started a few months ago. Our Telstra box is only about a year old. I am guessing some software update has broken something. It can be SOO FRUSTRATING when we've had the news paused while fixing dinner, and then we sit down to watch it and then live TV on the stupid Telstra box FREEZES AGAIN. And the only way to fix it (90% of the time) is to completely re-boot the device, meaning we've lost half an hour of the news. Arrrrgh!!!!!

But the real problem is that this bottom-of-the-line Roku product just can't handle the traffic and can't do the jobs it is supposed to do. Spend more money and upgrade to a better product, Telstra!!! This is ridiculous. For $216, we should be getting a box that actually works. Also: For your next upgrade, please sign a deal for a set-top box so that we customers can actually *record* programs, or at least have more than this measly 30-minute pause limit. And more apps please. The same Roku box overseas allows access to 4500 different apps, but here in Australia, Telstra's software blocks almost all of them! Grr! 

Sincerely,

Not a Happy Customer

Edit: And p.s., no, I do not have anything plugged into the USB. Sometimes I thought the Roku box was freezing due to overheating, but now that we are getting into the single digits in the evenings up here, I realize it's either a software conflict or just crappy hardware. 

Veezy
Support Team
Support Team

How long have you had the device for TheCrasu?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Jupiter

There are very few options left in the world that allow for recording of FTA TV. It has all shifted to streaming services.

One of the few that is still producing a model that records is Arris/Commscope. A DVR with Android TV capability.

Px5517 UHD DVRs | CommScope

TheCrasu

Well, outside of Australia, there are plenty more. Here in Aus, the Fetch box (both mini and the better Mighty version), which is available either to buy outright or to buy on a monthly discounted subscription through Optus bundles, is a thousand times better than the cheap Roku box Telstra is providing to its customers. Even Roku has better boxes than this one. 

Jupiter

The Telstra TV version is a customised version of a now obsolete Roku box. Roku no longer make boxes that have FTA TV inputs. They are dedicated to streaming devices and Roku TVs (ie Roku software running in a Smart TV). So you could get a better Roku box if you didn't want FTA ability, which ironically would solve your Fast Forwarding problem.

If you like the Fetch, then go and buy one. There's nothing stopping you. It will still work on a Telstra internet connection. I looked into it, but couldn't justify spending $450 on the Fetch Mighty. I haven't recorded anything in years, and I tend to use the catchup apps rather than the FTA (even for the Live channels - watch ABC News 24 live every morning through the iView app, pauses without a hitch if I need to).

TheCrasu

You are missing the point. Telstra's solution to it's faulty, freezing box should not be telling customers, "Go and buy a different device from another company." 

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

A few years ago I used a Zidoo box (X9S I think) which could record any HDMI input as a DVR to an attached storage device, it was quite good at that and also had an Android interface where you could install apps as well as capable of KODI emulation....  I haven't checked the recent offerings, but I feel sure they would have an updated version with the same capabilities.

Not expensive and well supported by the manufacturer and the customer base is my recollection.. 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
TheCrasu

We've had the device for almost 14 months now. 

Jupiter

Hang on, when did Telstra tell you to buy a different device from another company?

TheCrasu

/facepalm

This guy. Sheesh lol. *sigh* some people, I swear.... 

ANYWAY, going back to the OP's topic, yes, the Roku set-top box provided by Telstra does freeze when streaming live TV, usually after rewinding or fast-forwarding. More often than not, the only way to fix it is to reboot the device. That's just not good enough. Please figure out what the problem is Telstra, and fix it (if it's a software conflict), or sign a deal for a batch of better devices to provide your customers with. Thank you. 

SteveW_52

Well, @Jupiter is quite right..  most people here in CrowdSupport are not associated with Telstra, other than being a customer just like you..  so any comments are personal and not Telstra idioms..  so 'Telstra' has not suggested that you buy another device..  just suggestions around the failings some people find (me included) in what Telstra foist onto their customers...  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Jupiter

Have you contacted Telstra to report the problems that you are having with the Telstra TV (can't be done via Crowdsupport - which is pretty much just a customer2customer forum)?

The best way to contact Telstra about Telstra TV issues is by filling out the form at Telstra TV Box Office

TheCrasu

If you take a moment to read my wording, you will see that I was not actually saying that Telstra was asking me to buy a different device. I said (by way of a rhetorical question) that their doing that would not be a solution to the problem. 

Perhaps rather than picking at semantics or starting arguments, you might contribute in more constructive ways. Just an idea. 

SteveW_52

Just an idea for you to consider..  take peoples comments to your issues as constructive...

Hard to take your comment " You are missing the point. Telstra's solution to it's faulty, freezing box should not be telling customers, "Go and buy a different device from another company." " in any other way???

Stevo 52
Jupiter

I took it that you assumed that I was a Telstra representative and that I had told you to buy a different product (and yes, there are far better products out there, but the TTV suits a lot of people as it is relatively simple to operate and on the cheaper side).

For it to be a rhetorical question, you actually need to ask it as a question. You wrote it as a statement of fact, not a question. My Year 10 English teacher would have thrown the blackboard duster at me if I'd made a mistake like that (yes, showing my age there).

TheCrasu

Are you here to criticize other Telstra customers or to find solutions to problems? Because by your comments, I'd not guess the latter. 

My advice is to re-read the OP's post and take all comments in context. The issue at hand is that the Roku device offered to customers by Telstra appears either to be faulty or to have been given a faulty software update. It needs to be fixed or, if it's a hardware problem, replaced. 

SteveW_52

I have 4 TTV device - 1 x TTV 2 and 3 x TTV3..  none of them are showing the issue you have described.

While setting them up, like a lot of others who have commented here, there were issues registering them over a wi-fi connection, so I chose to use ethernet connections instead. They have stayed that way and I have no problems with them - luckily I have good reliable HFC internet and all IT devices here run off UPS, so maybe that helps as far as reliability goes.  I am a bit old school and tend to use copper connections where I can, mainly because there is a lot of competing Wi-Fi in the area. Don't know if the ethernet connections make a great deal of difference to the problem, but it might be worth a try just in case it helps resolve your problem. A full reset might be a good idea in your case, go back to scratch and re-register/setup using ethernet and see if that fixes things, including firmware updates?

Stevo 52
Jupiter

I did offer a solution to the problem (you seem to have overlooked or ignored that part) - contact Telstra support

The best way to contact Telstra about Telstra TV issues is by filling out the form at Telstra TV Box Office

Nobody at Crowdsupport can do anything about fixing or replacing a faulty unit or firmware. You need to go through the proper customer support channels (of which Crowdsupport isn't one).

It does seem to be an issue that is only affecting some TTV boxes. I have 2 TTV1 and a TTV3 and I can't replicate the problem either. Mine are connected by ethernet cable on a 100/100Mbps internet (non-NBN) connection, with no USB drive or Transflash card and a power amplified indoor antenna.

As far as the OPs query, yes, you will see that I was offering practical suggestions. Didn't hear back from the OP since the 1st April and then you chimed in on the thread. And since you must have already tried the suggestions from earlier on, I just added to the discussion about the merits of the TTV hardware and other devices that are available. You professed a desire to get a Fetch as it was a thousand times better than the TTV device, then you took offence when I suggested that you should get one and I pointed out why I wouldn't.

now for the sarcasm:

Plus, it's Tuesday and I didn't get any Tacos. Disappointing, I know. Got a delicious Burrito Bowl instead.

Roll-on Windup Wednesday.

HIArchie

Hi Steve,

we also have multiple TTv devices. The reason we bought a TTV3 was the result of problems with the other TTV2. Unfortunately it has the same problem. I feel the devices are not fit for purpose if it does not work. Telstra have not answered my question on the TelstraTV forum.

These are not cheap devices and I feel that Telstra should at least take the problem seriously.

HIArchie
SteveW_52

I understand..  did you try the ethernet connection to see if it helped? it might not of course, but from my experience with the devices a cable connection does resolve a few of the issues that users do encounter.

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

That link relates to Roku TV's, rather than the Roku devices such as Telstra TTV..  the Telstra TTV's use a customised (crippled?) version of the firmware. I don't know if anyone has tried using the 'real' Roku firmware in a TTV though.

Stevo 52
Jupiter

You can't sideload the full Roku firmware unfortunately.

SteveW_52

@Jupiter   I have not had any reason to even consider it..  

Stevo 52

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more