graygran
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra TV3

Answered

In regard to a new Telstra TV3, is anyone able to say if it can be connected to both the TV and a DVD?  We have a Telstra TV2 connected to both with no problems over a number of years.  Now we decided on having two Telstra TV boxes (so we can watch our preferred interests).  BUT, the connection isn’t as we expected, simply unfriendly.  If anyone out there can tell me if this is NOT POSSIBLE or if it is possible, the cables to be connected in precise order to make this thing function.  Much appreciated any help, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
graygran
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra TV3

Agree with you both, my explanation would be confusing but I now have set up both TVs identically and he is happily viewing the cricket right now.  Both TVs have 3 HDMI cable ability and he is gradually becoming familiar with the process to reach the desired endpoint and viewing preference.  I am most grateful for the thorough distribution of cables and their purpose.

Peace reigns again.

@Jupiter wrote:

They've got it set up correctly. It just seems to be a misunderstanding around functionality of the power button on the remote.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

The Telstra TV only has one output, so it gets connected to the TV or to an AV receiver.

You can't connect a Telstra TV to a DVD player unless the DVD player has an HDMI passthrough port.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
graygran

Our Telstra 2 connections are:

TTV HDMI to TV, TTV antenna to DVD out

TV HDMI to TTV and the other TV HDMI to DVD
DVD in antenna from main antenna in wall, DVD out antenna to TTV, DVD HDMI to TV

This configuration of cables does not function as smoothly as with Telstra TV3.  Am I pushing the proverbial uphill?  

Jupiter

There shouldn't really be any difference between the Telstra TV2 and the Telstra TV3. The connections are identical.

What isn't functioning as smoothly?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
graygran

On my TTV2, it’s a simple process to go between TTV and TV but on his new TTV3 (I bought it), when changing back to only TV, everything turns off.  Frustrating and I cannot explain any better, sorry.

Grateful for you prompt replies, I will persevere and notify if success is forthcoming.  Thanks.

Jupiter

Do you mean that the TTV3 turns off? The TTV3 goes to sleep if the device is deselected by the TV and pressing any key on the remote will wake it up again. That is normal functionality.

I don't know if the TTV2 does that. The TTV1 didn't, it stayed active even if the TV was turned off.

graygran

TTV3 differences from TTV2:

it has button to it turn on/off

volume control including mute (he will find that an advantage)

yes, if TTV button is turned off, everything turns off and thus the need to start over.
I have not experienced TTV2 causing both TV and DVD to turn off but still persevering.  
Panasonic TVs although mine is older, his DVD is older but has similar cable sites/connection points.  There must be a way around all this but age and stubbornness play a role in this household.
Am I confusing the issue?  Again my thanks.

Jupiter

The TTV3 power button does not turn the TTV3 off, it's for controlling the power on your other devices (eg the TV and DVD). So it is functioning normally. The solution is not to touch the power button on the TTV3 remote unless you want to turn the TV/DVD off.

The TTV3 will go into sleep mode (it doesn't have an "off" mode), when it no longer sees the TV (ie the TV is either off or using a different input).

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

I think you are mixing up the different signal sources..

The devices have two signal inputs:

TV antenna (Off Air or Free to Air Broadcast TV):

• The TV antenna signal can be shared - antenna can 'pass through' some devices via In/Out coaxial sockets. Most DVD's and VCR's can do this, so you can 'daisy chain' such devices in series such as : TV antenna wall connection -> 'device 1' Ant IN -> 'device 1' Ant OUT -> 'device 2' Ant IN -> 'device 2' Ant OUT -> 'device 3' Ant IN etc.
  • Some device can output the selected program via the ANT OUT as well but that is less common
  • TTV only have Ant IN, no Ant OUT, so have to be last device in the TV antenna chain
  • The TV antenna signal can deteriorate if multiple devices are connected

HDMI:

• The majority of devices including TTV, only have a single HDMI output so the output cannot be shared to multiple devices unless an external switch or splitter device is used.
  • Some devices such as TV's of Home Theatre systems have multiple HDMI inputs to allow several devices to be connected, then selection for viewing of an input is by the remote for that device
  • Some multi input devices have an HDM output connection as well (the selected input is passed to the output).

They are seperate types of signal and shouldn't be confused with each other.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

They've got it set up correctly. It just seems to be a misunderstanding around functionality of the power button on the remote.

SteveW_52

With my TTV3's (early models) the power button on the remote only switches of/on the attached devices, not the TTV3 itself - the TTV3 goes to sleep when not in use, as you have said, but wakes up with any remote button press.

I explained the different signal cabling arrangements because the OP asked if they were confusing the issue..  and I thought that was exactly what they were doing..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
graygran

Agree with you both, my explanation would be confusing but I now have set up both TVs identically and he is happily viewing the cricket right now.  Both TVs have 3 HDMI cable ability and he is gradually becoming familiar with the process to reach the desired endpoint and viewing preference.  I am most grateful for the thorough distribution of cables and their purpose.

Peace reigns again.

@SteveW_52 wrote:

With my TTV3's (early models) the power button on the remote only switches of/on the attached devices, not the TTV3 itself - the TTV3 goes to sleep when not in use, as you have said, but wakes up with any remote button press.

I explained the different signal cabling arrangements because the OP asked if they were confusing the issue..  and I thought that was exactly what they were doing..

@SteveW_52 wrote:

graygran
Accepted Solution

Peace reigns again.

@Jupiter wrote:

View solution in original post

Telstra TV

Telstra TV helps you find and discover more of what you love.

Find out more