Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Users on home Optus internet, cannot make/receive calls on Business Connect

We have our TIPT/Business Connect set to Internet, so that staff can use TBC from anywhere. Most staff are all fine, but we have found that any staff that use Optus as their home Internet, cannot make or receive calls through TBC. When they log in, they get the Calls Unavailable banner at the top of the app. Has anyone else experienced this, and have a workaround?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Telstra Products & Services Team
Telstra Products & Services Team

Re: Users on home Optus internet, cannot make/receive calls on Business Connect

Hi @SunnyCare,

I've vaguely heard unconfirmed rumours that Optus 4G blocks *all* VoIP services. If your staff home services aren't 4G, then there's no particular issue I've heard of.

In the Business Connect client, you can enable logs, you could check that the DNS lookup is successful, and if it's trying to REGISTER to similar IP's as that of working services.

If DNS is failing, maybe try specifying a different DNS IP on the PC (like OpenDNS, or the Telstra public DNS servers) if that's where the issue is occurring.

If the DNS looks OK, the IP it's trying to register to looks OK, check a traceroute to see if the traffic seems to be routing into Telstra.

Especially if their Business Connect works from other Internet services, it may be worth them logging a fault with Optus to investigate why "Optus are preventing them from working from home", it may be an unintentional network fault.

The only other ways around it off hand, would be to use a VPN, probably into your corporate network, or provide those staff a Telstra (or other 4G provider that supports VoIP) hotspot...

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time my opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Users on home Optus internet, cannot make/receive calls on Business Connect

Hi, Did you manage to resolve this issue.?

I am also having exactly the same problem