Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Account fraud

A few weeks ago I received 3 random text messages one after the other saying “thanks for visiting Melton Telstra store etc etc” I deleted them thinking it must’ve been an error, well was I right..
Turns out some asshat has added THREE phone plans to my account which I had not noticed until yesterday when I went to pay my phone bill. Called Telstra immediately and the lady on the line advised me she could not block the service or remove it but I HAVE TO GO TO THE STORE TO DISPUTE IT?!? 35km FROM MY HOUSE EACH WAY. Yeah right.
Filed a complaint SR 1-2072242860974
And with the ombudsman. I have a serious illness that’s related to stress and anxiety and let’s say all day yesterday I was very unwell. This fraudulent activity was done in store. Not online I was told. There’s absolutely no reason why I should have to fix this yet somehow I feel I’m in for a long ride.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Account fraud

You should lodge a report with your local police station as well so that they have a record. If the services were signed up in store, then it could be that someone has obtained enough ID to pass themselves off as you.

Gather your identification documents as well and get certified copies signed at the police station at the same time as you will need to submit them as part of Telstra's investigation.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Robh613, 

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been a victim of fraud and I can appreciate the frustration involved.

I've raised your complaint number with our Fraud Customer Care team requesting contact urgently.

I'm unable to see their schedule but I'm confident they will look into this as soon as possible.

Please keep us in the loop on how you go.

- Matty

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hey, yes I’m doing that today. The customer service agent from Telstra said on the phone the most common way for criminals to to do this is in store as you’re not actually required to provide photo id. It’s as simple as using a Medicare card and memorising details. Well wtf!?!?
Highlighted

Hi Matty,
Yes I will,
So far spoken to 5 customer service operators and the police. Telstra store where items were obtained will not answer their phone. I’m going to the police today to file a report then I have to go into a Telstra store and send through documents.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Please let us know how you get on. I'd like to be sure this has been appropriately addressed. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Went to the police station today, filed a report. Filled out a stat dec and went into Telstra store highpoint shopping centre. The manager there is extremely rude and unprofessional. I said I need to send these documents off because my accounts been accessed illegally and I need to verify my id and she said “we don’t do that here I don’t know what you’re talking about” and continued to argue with me until a sales agent came over and offered to look up the notes on my account, which low and behold showed I needed to go into store an upload documents to verify my id.
So I’ve upload my documents to verify I’m me and the police report.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update Dobh613, sorry to learn of the disappointing experience in the Highpoint Store. If you can confirm that this is the address of the shop in question:

Level 3, Shop 3052 Highpoint Shopping Centre 200 Rosamond Rd 
Maribyrnong VIC 3032

I'll happily pass your feedback along.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit