ThomasDankEngin
Level 1: Cadet

Add a Pre Paid Number to an EXISTING Telstra 'My Account'

So, I would like to know how to add a prepaid number to an existing 'My Account'. The account ALREADY has a prepaid number attached to it, fyi. When I go to account settings and select add an account, it asks me for a Telstra mobile number, home number, Telstra Account number (the 13 digit one), or a bigbond account. I tried adding my prepaid phone number, didn't work. Tried adding my 13 digit account number, didn't work. Please answer my question, do not refer to another post, as they all seem to say to re register but use your existing 'My Account' details, which simply results in 'error, you seem to already be using this email for an account, blah blah'. So, how do I add a pre paid number to my existing 'My Account'.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Steve_n
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Add a Pre Paid Number to an EXISTING Telstra 'My Account'

Hi - I feel your pain !!!  Telstar is a serial offender on this issue. I have a number of services I need to manage. Because their IT system chokes on small discrepancies (my sin is to have Steven on my driver's licence - but buy things under the name of Steve).  I have tried to add and/or consolidate my services onto one MyAccount (sounds a simple thing doesn't it), but have been confronted with the same error message you get.  Hours on the phone resulted in some clueless operator adding multiple acoount sign-ins before I decided to go into damage limitation and terminate the call.  At that point I had 4 logins...  Later when I tried to add a mobile boroadband service I was forced to generate yet another login.  That makes 5.   When I tried to get that broadband service moved over to the account which already had a mobile phone in it (after several hours on the phone and passed around various 'experts') I was finally told they could do by creating yet another account and move both to it - but I would lose all my credit off those phones !!!  At that point I said touch nothing and terminated the discussion.   Two days ago I bought another prepaid (for my 96 year old mother-in-law for personal security) and tried to add it to the last account.   I got the same error message (details don't match).    After spending an hour on 24/7 chat I was assured the new prepaid would appear on the account.   Unfortunately, 24 hours later it still hasn't despite being assured it will appear - "Your Telstra My Account Online will be updated as well any moment now" (I have the 24/7 chat printout).

It seems no one in Telstra has a clue how to do this simple task.

Please if you manage to get them to do this simple task please post here as I am at wits end...

Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi guys, 

This would be something we need to look into each account to see what's preventing the pre paid number being added. Please chat to us here  http://tel.st/8qpr and we can get the number added to your account. These may be on different billing accounts and will cause trouble linking the services. But this is something we can arrange for you. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Steve_n

Hi Iain,

Tried that (BTW - the clink on link is wrong - you've tacked on " and" at the end - I had to edit it in the address bar for it to work - should be just 'tel.st/8qpr' not 'tel.st/8qpr and') and went for another round with 24/7 chat.

Promised he could help and do it (add a new prepaid to an existing account), but then "Oops -we are updating MyAccount" at the moment.   He promised he would add it before midday.   A bit late for Mother's Day (the phone is for my 96 year old Mum-in-Law), but fingers crossed.

I have printed out and added the 24/7 transcript to the one from two days ago when I tried to have exactly the same thing done.   Hopefully this is the last in the collection.

Steve_n

Hi Iain,

Just got an email for what appears to give instructions for adding a NEW account.   This was quickly followed by 4 identical emails informing me I am already registered and can add other accounts to it.   Your IT system is out of control and has gone completely berserk (they are all automated emails).

I am going to wait until midday (when I was promised this would all be fixed) before doing anything.

Who would have thought that trying to buy a prepaid and then simply getting it added to an EXISTING account would be so hard.

Steve_n

Make that 6 identical emails...

Steve_n

Now it is 11 identical emails AND now they have reset my password to my account.  I didn't ask for that.

What the heck is going on...

Steve_n

OK - I noticed the last MyAccount I created (the one to which I wanted to add the new prepaid and the one which had it password reset without me asking) had changed my first name from Steven to Steve.    Ah ha - I thought - maybe now I can add the new prepaid.   Nope - still details don't match.  On a whim I tried to add a previous mobile from another MyAccount to this latest MyAccount (I was told it couldn't be done without losing credit).   Error message saying it was already added !!!    Logged out and logged back in, and lo and behold all the accounts from the other MyAccount are suddenly in the latest MyAccount.    However, the NEW prepaid is still missing despite repeated assurances that it would be there by 10:00am to 11:00am today (8/5/2016).

If this wasn't such a monumental waste of my time it would a comedy.  Telstra have made multiple un-asked for changes to my MyAccount - except the one I asked for - i.e., add a new prepaid phone to an existing account.

The saga continues...

Steve_n

OK - so looks like the promise to add the new prepaid to my account is garbage.  That has not been done.  And no matter what I do I cannot add it to any account myself either.

In frustration I thought at least if I can create yet ANOTHER MyAccount I can add the new prepaid there.   To do this I followed the link in the email which suggests creating a new MyAccount.   Guess what ?....

We apologise for the inconvenience but due to technical issues we cannot complete your request. Please try again later."

...and so the saga goes on...

ThomasDankEngin
Level 1: Cadet

How about this, Lain,:
You guys fix your automated system, so we DON'T HAVE TO ACTUALLY CALL YOU OR CHAT WITH YOU SO WE CAN JUST ADD THE NUMBER OURSELVES?
Seriously, it seems many people are having this problem. I shouldn't have to call support just to do a simple task such as this. I don't think the add an account feature works at all, or at least very rarely.
Instead, I wish to delete my 'My Account', as the prepaid number attached to it is not really being used that much. This way I can use my email for my current prepaid number in a 'My Account'.
Is there a 'delete account' button in 'My Account'?

Also, can your marketing department come up with a new name for 'My Account'? Because you have something called a 'Telstra Account' (the 13 digit number), and then you have 'My Account'. That's really retarded. Someone should be fired over that.
Steve_n

Hi TDE,

Unfortunately AFAIK you cannot delete an account.   Also, I believe, unless you set it up with the EXACT details recorded when you purchased the phone you will end up in the same boat.  I believe it depends on what details are entered at the time of purchase.  If, for example, you verbally say your name is Steve xxxx at the time of purchase this will be recorded on the system, but at the time of setting up the account you are forced to give exactly what is on your ID (e.g. driver's licence), which in my case is Steven xxx, the IT system will choke.  The only time things have gone smoothly is when I bought a phone from Big-W where the guy asked for my driver's licence straight away and I didn't have to verbally give my name.   The Telstra store guys should know this and thus avoid this problem.   They should be aware of this basic issue.

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi guys, 

If there is an issue in adding another account number (13 digit number) for your My Account, then there is a chance that the Pre-Paid service is in the system under a different Customer ID. 

Our My Account team via Live Chat here:  http://tel.st/cpyn can check on this, and consolidate Post and Pre-Paid accounts to the one Customer ID if that is causing the issue.

Once all 13 digit account numbers are under the one Customer ID, there should be no issue in the My Account identifying this. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Steve_n

Hi Ivan,

Firstly - can you guys check the link you supply - you keep adding the word following into the link (in this case " can").  Iain did the same thing (in that case "and").  There is enough confusion and frustration at this end without being added to.

Secondly - I notice now the new prepaid has been added to the requested MyAccount - FINALLY.  Only taken 3 days of constant trying this end.

HOWEVER, you have taken the $30 credit I had on it.  It now has $0.00 credit.   Can you explain how it is legal to take that for just adding a new prepaid to an existing account ?

Can you please arrange for the stolen credit to be reinstated please ?

Steve_n

Hi Ivan,

That link ('tel.st/cpyn') just takes me to the MyAccount page - not Live Chat ??????

Please arrange for the return of my stolen credit.  It was paid via PayPal and they may be interested in the non-delivery of goods (my credit).

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Steve_n, 

Sorry about the link issue, the system we use seems to be grabbing the next word even though there is a space. 

The link for My Account team is should be this one:   http://tel.st/8qpr

Link for Pre-Paid team is here:  http://tel.st/nxzt

The issue with the Pre-Paid credit being lost when the account transferred over, Pre-Paid team will be able to fix for you. 

Steve_n

Woohoo cartwheel cartwheel... !!!!!!

After following Iain's link I spent yet ANOTHER session on 24/7 chat.   When I asked for my prepaid $30 credit to be restored I was told that there was only $10 on it and that gets lost when *I* changed ownership.   After much arguing back and forth pointing out that NO ownership was changed I also pointed out that any changes were done by Telstra.   After conceding this he added $10 back in as he said that was all that was on there.   What followed was yet another exchange with me supplying PayPal receipts and invoice numbers for the $30 recharge I had done 2 days ago.  I did mention that PayPal might be interested in non-delivery of goods (my $30 credit).  Finally that $30 was added back.  So the credit is back to what it should be.

Only taken 3 days to simply add a new prepaid to an EXISTING account and add some credit.  I have spoken to 5 different 24/7 operators to get this done.

Really Telstra - is this the best you can do ?  I love your coverage and phone service, but your account system is total rubbish.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit