Alpen
Level 1: Cadet

How to cancel an account where the account holder no longer has mental capacity?

My grandmother has recently transitioned into aged care due to significant cognitive impairments. I need to cancel her home phone account, but I am not a verified contact on her account and due to her mental state she cannot appoint me. I am her power of attorney, but cannot find any information on the Telstra website about cancelling the account on her behalf.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: How to cancel an account where the account holder no longer has mental capacity?

Hi - suggest you visit a Telstra Shop with a certified copy of the full Enduring Power of Attorney document as it will need to be sighted along with your proof of identity in order for Telstra to cancel the account and issue a final invoice. 

JayVee1
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How to cancel an account where the account holder no longer has mental capacity?

Hi Alpen, we will need you to send us the Power of Attorney documentation, your full name, contact number and the account/service number you’re to be associated with. You will then be contacted by phone or email to confirm that the request has been completed, usually within 3-5 business days of us receiving the paperwork.

You can either email this information to thetelstrateam@online.telstra.com with the subject line PUBLIC TRUSTEE (regardless of the kind of documentation you have), fax it all through to 1300 556 737 or post it to the following address:

Telstra Customer Support

Correspondence team – Trustee/Guardian

Locked bag 20026

Melbourne VIC

Let us know if you run into any snags or need any further assistance.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit