HB071
Level 1: Cadet

How to change account owner

Answered

I'm 18 years old and my mum pays my Telstra bill but I would like to disconnect the number because she is tracking my calls and message usage and as an adult I don't want her invading my privacy. Is there something I can do to disconnect my number and get a new one in my name ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: How to change account owner

If the service is in your mum's name then you can't disconnect it. Only she can.

There is nothing stopping you from getting a PrePaid SIM and starting to pay for yourself (a PostPaid plan may be more difficult as you may not be able to pass a credit check).

Just be sure to tell your mum what you want to do so that she has the opportunity to cancel the service and not waste money on it.

The other option is to talk to your mum and see if she is willing to transfer ownership of the service to you. Then you would be in control of it. You would need to fill out a Change of Ownership Form and submit it at a Telstra Shop. It can take up to 3 weeks for the transfer to occur.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Re: How to change account owner

If the service is in your mum's name then you can't disconnect it. Only she can.

There is nothing stopping you from getting a PrePaid SIM and starting to pay for yourself (a PostPaid plan may be more difficult as you may not be able to pass a credit check).

Just be sure to tell your mum what you want to do so that she has the opportunity to cancel the service and not waste money on it.

The other option is to talk to your mum and see if she is willing to transfer ownership of the service to you. Then you would be in control of it. You would need to fill out a Change of Ownership Form and submit it at a Telstra Shop. It can take up to 3 weeks for the transfer to occur.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit