zero9
Level 2: Rookie

Internet Data Usage

I seem to be going though GB at a high rate that doesn't make sense. How do I get a history of downloads by GB per day? I watch a movie day but that's should only be 1-2GB. Is streaming happening at a higher than normal rate??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Internet Data Usage

Are we talking a mobile service or home broadband service here?

The amount of data used by streaming services varies by codex used and resolution (and connection quality).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
zero9

Thanks for replying. Mobile broadband, via a dongle.

I noticed that I seem to have been transferred to 5G without being informed.

So I presume 5G burns through data faster than 4G. Is that right?

If so, then my next question is how to get Telstra to return me to 4G?

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

The change to 5G is just a plan feature..  does your dongle support 5G?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
cf4

Most video streaming services adjust the quality of the video according to the speed of the internet connection. Due to the faster speeds of 5G you might be using more data but you can manualy set the quality of the video either per device or globally depending on which streaming service you are using.

zero9

Don't know. No info on the device. It's Telstra though.

SteveW_52

There would have to to be a model number somewhere on the device. Maybe under a cover or even under the battery. Can you log on to the device itself to view/manage it? 

Is it detailed on your account (My Telstra app maybe?) and the current plan as well?

Can you take photos and post them here.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
zero9

I use various streaming services. I know what you mean about video quality, and some services make options obvious. I'm on an Apple desktop. Dunno if I can change the rate as a setting, or if it has to be at their end? I guess the point is 4G was fine, and quality was fine. But finding out if I've been bumped to 5G, and seeing if I can return to 4G, aint so easy with Telstra. Which department would even know the answers?

cf4

On most devices you can set them to use only 4G and even only 3G.

zero9

It seems that the dongle is 4G. At least it is displaying that. The plan is called Prepaid Mobile Broadband. No other info. But I've burnt 7.7GB in 3 days. A bit of browsing and about 3 movies. But a movie should be about 1.5GB. So it looks like somewhere the streaming rate was increased (maybe automatically) to HD.

SteveW_52

So 5G isn't the issue....

Where are you seeing the amount of data being used? it is possible to set the data usage up on the dongle itself..  but that needs to be setup the same as your plan...

Ny experience is that Telstra shows high data use, but some of that is non chargeable and doesn't get shown on your bill. With post paid, you need to monitor it over a couple of billimg periods. For prepaid, I am not sure how to best manage it...

Stevo 52
Jupiter

If you were watching HD on Foxtel or Netflix for example, you could burn through 3GB per hour, if it was an SD stream on those services, you'd be looking at around 1GB per hour. 7.7GB for 3 movies is perfectly believable (assume 100 minutes each, SD = 5.1GB, HD = 15.3GB).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
zero9

I guess that's probably it. I'll keep monitoring it. But thanks to ALL the responders for your advice. Gracie!

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Zero9. 

The best way to view your usage is to log into your My Account https://tel.st/4c94yc, click on your internet service. Then on the next page, scroll all the way to the end of the page where you will see "More with your service" heading with a "View Usage" button underneath. This will then show you your usage breakdown daily. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

zero9

Thanks for that. Will do.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit