CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

telstra fraud

Someone has bought a phone and other things on my account by opening a second account joined to mine, i have read on here that many many other people are suffering the same fraud. I have not had any help from telstra in the last month that this ordeal has been going on.. I just got a bill for 550.00 dollars and my credit rating has gone down.. telstra has allowed these people to get access to my private account details by giving them a second username so not protecting my personal details.. All this stuff was bought online and i cant understand why telstra would not protect its customers. SR 1-1960424980949. this is my first complaint number i have made two of them online and been into a telstra shop also 7 phone calls and no help from telstra at all.. IS THIS FRAUD COMING FROM INSIDE TELSTRA? i am currently in contact with a lawyer and looking at how to deal with this very stressful ordeal, and a gross mishandling of my personal private information that telstra are supposed to protect.. I have read the countless complaints from others on here and i see also that there credit score is affected in a negative way as mine is.. telstra needs to be held accountable for their incompetence and Australians should know that telstra cant protect their privacy or personal information.. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: telstra fraud

Hi @gunsolano,

We take customers' privacy seriously and continually review our processes to ensure we're doing all we can to protect them from any type of malicious activity.

However, if someone has gained access to your personal details (any type of ID accessed through social media sites or from a lost ID card) they can then fraudulently use these details. 

There are some steps that can be taken to help protect your personal information:

* Contact us immediately if you have received information about your account that doesn’t seem right so we can investigate

* Use stronger privacy settings on social media sites to limit the information shared

* Use a spam filter to help block unsolicited and unwanted email

* Ensure that you have a strong password online and separate passwords for every account

* Don't share personal, credit card or banking details over the phone, unless you made the call and the number came from a trusted source

* Make sure your computer is protected with regularly updated anti-virus software

* Be wary of unsolicited requests for sensitive information

* Never respond to requests for personal information in an unexpected email or pop-up window

* If in doubt, always contact the company that claims to be the sender of the email or pop-up window, using their official contact details

* If you're not sure if the person on the other end of the phone is legitimate, you should hang up and call the organisation using their official contact details

More information on staying safe online and identity fraud can be found here: https://tel.st/rtg5r

In regards to the formal complaint you have lodged, I have reached out to request follow up for you to ensure that this matter is addressed and resolved. If you haven't heard back within 2 business days please let us know. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you to IvanS for your reply, I have now received a phone call from Telstra and a assurance that this issue will be resolved over the next week. This includes my credit report cleaned and the fraudulent phone account will be shut down and no further problems to me. Thank you.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update. Let us know if you have any further issues.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit