Adagio
Level 2: Rookie

THE GREAT Dec 7 ACCOUNT RESET

Answered

Why is Telstra ‘resetting’ every account on December 7th?

They claim that they’re trying to standardise their client information records but surely this could be achieved simply reminding accountholders to confirm or add information as required when they login. I may be cynical but I’m a bit apprehensive about this data audit, and very suspicious of its true purpose. Because I have a weird name I always have some difficulty confirming my identity and I really don’t want to have to go through the whole process again. Going into a Telstra shop is useless: they just tell you to go online. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: THE GREAT Dec 7 ACCOUNT RESET

Hi - I haven't received any similar communication from Telstra. Suggest you treat it with suspicion. Do not click on any embedded links to take you into a web page.

You may wish to verify the authenticity or otherwise of the communication  by visiting a Telstra Store or by calling Telstra.

View solution in original post

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Thanks for posting the email text. One would expect that type of notice would be embedded in the Home page of the service so that people who use the site are prewarned of a future change that will come into effect on a certain date or it presents to them the next time they log in after that date.   

I only have one Telstra Account which is an NBN HFC service with integral telephone line, so unsure if the on line experience is different for mobile accounts. This morning I logged into Telstra 24x7 My Account from my PC and was greeted by a page that indicated the site has been upgraded to make it simpler. The Home screen featured a huge 7 day price match guarantee for eligible phones and an Ad for Telstra Plus Front Room Tickets.

Previously when I logged in, I received a pop-up screen asking me to nominate an alternative non Telstra email address in case there were issues with my primary Telstra email address - secondary Telstra email address were not allowed. I don't have one , so I always bypassed it by dismissing that screen. It does not come up now. There is no birthdate entry field in my profile page to input data - it said that my personal details and profile were up to date but for some reason they had difficulties with showing Telstra Plus balance and to try again later. I am reasonably sure Telstra would already have my birthdate in a database as part of my original proof of identity documentation. Why they would need to use it to revalidate access is a mystery.  

Monday is not far away - we'll see what happens then. Thanks for raising the question. 

PS: I haven't had to call Telstra since pre-Covid days and my sympathies are with people who have had to experience excessive waiting times and then deal with untrained or poorly trained staff. Those Call Centres would be more effective in dealing with customer service issues and retaining satisfied customers if they returned to Australia with additional investment in management and training. Very few people post positive engagement experiences with the Call Centres on the forum, so it gives one the impression that Telstra management does not seem to place a high priority on after sales service rather focusing on sales growth. I did read that Telstra employed 1000 Call Centre staff in Australia during Covid, but I do not know the details of the associated deployment time frames.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Hi - I haven't received any similar communication from Telstra. Suggest you treat it with suspicion. Do not click on any embedded links to take you into a web page.

You may wish to verify the authenticity or otherwise of the communication  by visiting a Telstra Store or by calling Telstra.

Adagio

Thanks, but have you ever tried to call Telstra or get a response from them?

Adagio

This is the email I received today...

Mkrtich
Accepted Solution

Thanks for posting the email text. One would expect that type of notice would be embedded in the Home page of the service so that people who use the site are prewarned of a future change that will come into effect on a certain date or it presents to them the next time they log in after that date.   

I only have one Telstra Account which is an NBN HFC service with integral telephone line, so unsure if the on line experience is different for mobile accounts. This morning I logged into Telstra 24x7 My Account from my PC and was greeted by a page that indicated the site has been upgraded to make it simpler. The Home screen featured a huge 7 day price match guarantee for eligible phones and an Ad for Telstra Plus Front Room Tickets.

Previously when I logged in, I received a pop-up screen asking me to nominate an alternative non Telstra email address in case there were issues with my primary Telstra email address - secondary Telstra email address were not allowed. I don't have one , so I always bypassed it by dismissing that screen. It does not come up now. There is no birthdate entry field in my profile page to input data - it said that my personal details and profile were up to date but for some reason they had difficulties with showing Telstra Plus balance and to try again later. I am reasonably sure Telstra would already have my birthdate in a database as part of my original proof of identity documentation. Why they would need to use it to revalidate access is a mystery.  

Monday is not far away - we'll see what happens then. Thanks for raising the question. 

PS: I haven't had to call Telstra since pre-Covid days and my sympathies are with people who have had to experience excessive waiting times and then deal with untrained or poorly trained staff. Those Call Centres would be more effective in dealing with customer service issues and retaining satisfied customers if they returned to Australia with additional investment in management and training. Very few people post positive engagement experiences with the Call Centres on the forum, so it gives one the impression that Telstra management does not seem to place a high priority on after sales service rather focusing on sales growth. I did read that Telstra employed 1000 Call Centre staff in Australia during Covid, but I do not know the details of the associated deployment time frames.  

SteveW_52

That email looks dodgy..  a Telstra email will almost always (in my experience) refer to you by name..

The link resolves to a Telstra FAQ post from Feb 2020 by Ashliem (who shows up in here occasionally) 

@ashliem   can you verify the validity of this issue please? As the OP said, current support by Chat is painfully slow, plus the consultants don't always seem to be aware of Telstra products or acitivities. The question may not get answered by 7 December.

Still looks dodgy to me, a clever phishing scam maybe with this email being a softner in readiness for another email on the 7th.

Like @Mkrtich ,  I haven't had any such email either - so it isn't a 'GREAT Dec 7 ACCOUNT RESET'. If it is true, then it might be just your account being reset

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SteveW_52

That new My Account page has been up for a few days - it's new but can't vouch for the 'improved' part as yet.  Most of my services are there but I can't see or track a current order which IS accessible on the My Telstra app..

I think the splash screen was a once off when opening the new improved My Account page for the first time.

Update..  this morning I can leave a chat message vis My Account, when using Brave Browser - wouldn't work previously and meant I had to use Chrome. The chat window took a while, but it did eventually pop up!.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit