Chick1288
Level 1: Cadet

Why can't I get a cheque for an over payment

I have made a $260 payment via BPAY to my account, now Telstra are telling me I cannot pay my account this way and I have to do it via Credit Card. So I have done so, but now have $260 credit there, I have asked to be refunded with a cheque and have been told that this is not an option. Why ??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why can't I get a cheque for an over payment

Is the $260 showing against your Telstra account? If so, you are entitled to get it refunded and if Telstra refuses to do so you should complain to both the ACCC and the TIO. There have been a number of reports of this happening. The method by which a customer has paid a bill has no bearing on being able to obtain a refund once the amount has cleared to Telstra's account.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Chick1288
Level 1: Cadet

It sure is. Its now $255 in credit, was $260 the other day. They told me they could not allocate this credit to the amount that was meant to be paid via their new Auto Credit Card payment, so I had to pay the $125 that was "outstanding" because I didn't pay it via Auto Pay. (the only reason I new anything was wrong was because my phone service got suspended today) It shouldn't be this hard, they have told me I need to contact my bank to dispute the bpay payment. 

Jupiter

They have accepted the money transfer and they now hold the money. You should not have to dispute the payment with your bank (your bank will even tell you this - plus it will take many weeks to resolve), there is in fact nothing to dispute if it is showing as a credit against your Telstra account.

If Telstra's systems can't handle a simple refund of a credit amount that they hold in their system, then they have some very serious problems and whoever signed off on the new software system should either resign or be sacked.

You should lodge a complaint with Telstra https://telstra.com.au/complaints

Another with the Ombudsman https://tio.com.au

And another with the ACCC (which I very rarely recommend to people, but I'll make an exception in this case as the problem Telstra has created is just so stupid) https://www.accc.gov.au/contact-us/contact-the-accc/report-a-consumer-issue

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Even if you do manage to organise a refund cheque, don't expect it quickly. The last one I got took nearly 8 weeks to arrive..   in that case it was a clear, blatant overcharge by Telstra and I still had to raise a complaint to get it actioned (which took nearly two weeks to do, on top of the 8 weeks refund process). I have since cancelled all DD's and pay by card - costs a wee bit more but I can control it..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

Unfortunately that's not a solution for the Upfront Plans as they require payment via Autopay (fancy name for Direct Debit).

SteveW_52

@Jupiter I actually do know that - I was just explaining what my action was in a similar situation.. Telstra didn't like it, but I have a fairly big spend for my fleet of devices and services and they didn't want to lose all of that..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit