QldPatrick
Level 2: Rookie

You don't have permission to sign in with this account

After nearly 6 hours in the live chat help going round in circles, can anyone give me an idea of how to resolve this error message I'm getting when I try to log in to MyTelstra?

I have reset my log in and password today after getting this message earlier. Even now, when I log in through the webpage using the new combination it accepts them, gives a message saying "logging you in", them goes to an error page showing "We couldn't sign you in. You do not have permission to sign in with this account". If I use the app it says "We can't display your account". Any other combination of old account IDs or other passwords that the guy in LiveChat keeps wanting me to try says instantly "We didn't recognise the username or password you entered". That suggests to me that the issue is not the ID or password I'm using but some issue with the account itself - it IS a 15+ year old account that I haven't used in a while.

I can see an old thread here with the same problem but no obvious solution. Is anyone aware of where I should go next?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: You don't have permission to sign in with this account

When you say it is a 15+ year old account that you haven't used in a while, does it have services attached to it (and what type)? Note: Telstra IDs haven't been around for that long.

Have you been able to log in previously using that ID?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
QldPatrick

Thanks Jupiter. I've had a mobile phone through Telstra for that length of time which has migrated across various plans. I used to be able to access my account details online, but I can't remember how long it is since I successfully did so - possibly years.

Interestingly the log in process obviously works to some extent, because it has me logged in here, but won't show me any account details through the main Telstra page or the app - just continues to give the error messages I described above.

Jupiter

That means that your services haven't been associated with the Telstra ID login.

Given that the frontline consultants couldn't identify the problem; lodge the problem via a formal complaint (https://telstra.com/complaints), and they will be able to get your services associated with your Telstra ID.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
QldPatrick

Thanks again Jupiter, amazing that it's so apparent to you but not to the people in the help chat. I lodged the complaint on Monday as you suggested, but haven't heard anything at all since.

For fun I tried going through the chat system again but after another painfully slow back and forth - 7 hours from when I got to start engaging with a human before I gave up and went to sleep - got precisely nowhere again. It seems that if it can't be resolved with a password reset they just put off replying to you for long enough that you go away.

I'll try to call Telstra instead and see if someone can resolve it, and if they direct me to the chat again I'll submit another complaint letting them know that I'll contact the telecommunications ombudsman if I don't hear back because their help system is such a debarcle.

Jupiter

It can take 5 days to get an initial response to your complaint.

Do not lodge another complaint in that time as it resets the clock as the new complaint overrides the previous. Wait until you receive a response.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit