Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

WP7 Updates

Telstra can you please fix your smartphone update page based on the news for MS today.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/01/06/new-maintenance-release-f...

Since the carriers have put there foot down and don't want MS to name and shame them can you please update your page more frequently with more detailed information and be more pro-active.

Currently my Mozart is waiting for 7740 and now 8107 which contain bug fixes.   Which could help improve you network performance or service or the perception of it at least.

http://wmpoweruser.com/full-changelog-for-8107-update-released-by-microsoft/

Note how the link is not MS or Telstra as it is the only way you can find accurate information ... Does anyone see the problem?

We know updates take time to test and some bugs may not be relevant to your particular handset but as long as we are informed then it is not a problem.

Things you could do to help the crowd:

• Support any handset as long as it is in contract with atleast one customer ... Guaranteed ...
  • When you receive a update put it on your update page straight away and state firmware and OS version if applicable. The current descriptions are rubbish.
  • Give statuses like received, assessing, issue with update with MS, issue with update with handset provider, with MS for deployment and obviously deployed.

Currently your software page has not been updated since late November and we know you have been given 2 versions.  Below is the promise you offer on the update page, all I ask is you stand behind it and keep us informed.

"We know our customers want the latest, best-performing software for their smartphones. We work with handset manufacturers and operating system designers to bring these software updates to our customers as quickly as we can. To ensure each phone performs at its best on the Next G® network, all updates to Telstra smartphones are rigorously tested."

Come on Telstra impress me I dare you!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
91 REPLIES 91
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: WP7 Updates

Dawookie.

Good luck mate. The last 12 months has taught most of us that Telstra (and other carriers) get around to WP7.....when AND if they can be bothered.

Sheeds.

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Windows 8 and Surface fan! FORMER Telstra Customer (adios lol).

If you like my Microsoft (WP/Win8) posts here, consider Kudos+1

Check me out on Twitter - WP_DownUnder - I don't come around here no more.
Highlighted

Dont ask, dont get!

You have done some great work Sheed's if everyone was as vocal as you we might get somewhere.

I work in a service industry like Telstra and we spend millions getting customers and millions stoping them from disconnecting but wont spend a cent on a good customer.   Big business has to learn it is not quantity of customers, that will come, if you offer a quiality and transparent service they will flock to you.  But no one will take a short term loss of there commision for a log term gain as they will jump to another job in 12 months anyway so they dont care about the future.

Since Sol left Telstra seems to be changing for the better, but as long term guidance and senior management commisions start increasing it will once again degrade into every man for himself. 

The reason they dont want to update phones is it doesnt make them any money and it increases the chances of customers moving to a new one just to get the latest software (new contract new handset fees).  This is why they are drooling over Android, its free and hard to update but it is the "in" thing.   This is also the reason why carriers are going cold on iPhones because they are easy to update and have to much longevity, how many people do you know who are still on 3g, 3gs, 4 and not 4s's.

Anyway bit of a off topic rant but I want to see what crowd support has to say about the WP7 updates!

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Personally I really want clarity...  I can understand if Telstra makes the decision to only apply the critical patch updates (which I believe the voicemail notification fix falls into, but whatever), but just make us aware which ones will be rolled out and what phase they are in.

For example the 7740 update might have been skipped by Telstra with the knowledge the 8107 patch was coming straight afterwards.  But what is happening with 8107??  I just want to know.  I went into a Telstra shop and they couldn't tell me anything & told me to talk to microsoft - which is completely wrong as Telstra decides these things.

Come on Telstra, just let us know what your plans are.  Thanks!

Highlighted

DAWOOKIE,

Thanks for the feedback and kind words Smiley Very Happy

Unfortunately, I am pessimistic over the update situation - more so after this latest post from MS:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/01/06/new-maintenance-release-f...

Do not think this bodes well for WP7 owners at all.  Just look at the 14 months of Windows Phone in Australia so far - like any of the Carriers have demonstrated their support for the platfrom....NOT.

Smiley Sad

Windows Phone Enthusiast, Windows 8 and Surface fan! FORMER Telstra Customer (adios lol).

Highlighted

No worries Sheeds,

Looks like MS is doing a little bit of damage control.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-its-business-as-usual-with-windows-phone-updates/11584

Although the statement that worries me is:

" If Microsoft were to continue adding each and every new phone model and new carrier relationship, the Windows Phone Update table would have become unwieldy"

select contry

select carrier

select handset

see software history!

So with the billions of dollars they have and the 92,000 employees they can not afford one person to maintain a web page of current handsets and carrier information which I would assume a carrier relations person would have anyway.... really.

There is always room for improvement!

Highlighted

Despite MS' assurances the back-end all works just the same - their "Where's my update page" was more about trying to keep Carriers publicly honest and accountable on updates for their customers....and transparency.  This is a backwards step!

All Aussie WP7 owners/enthusiasts - I have started a DownUnder "Where's my Bloody Update" page.

http://www.wpdownunder.com/?page_id=3428

Happy to try and fill the gap for us down here that MS are now leaving.

Cheers.

Sheeds.

Highlighted

It is funny how one guy with a bit of spare time can do what one of the biggest companies in the world and Australias biggest carrier cant!

Just let us know Telstra, we understand there are technical difficulties and priorities just let us know!

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

DAWOOKIE wrote:

It is funny how one guy with a bit of spare time can do what one of the biggest companies in the world and Australias biggest carrier cant!

“Can't” and “choose not to” are different things. Taking your assertion as straightforward instead of rhetoric, the effective difference is there that “one guy with a bit of spare time” does not formally set expectations that lock down obligations on the part of the companies in question, above and beyond what is required by consumer law and industry codes, etc.

I'm guessing your intent is not just to receive information, but being able to use it effectively to pursue what you believe is your entitlement, right? If so, then “one guy with a bit of spare time” cannot give you that.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Checked with Telstra Twitter team today...asked them if they could confirm if they were testing 7740?

Would not confirm (I even asked them if they could just add that bit to their own smartphone update table).

If they refuse to confirm if they are testing it....it is hard not to think the worst.

Highlighted

Hi Drat,

I totally agree with you and your assumption is kind of right.

I plan not to pursue Telstra (many have tried and failed) to get the updates but be informed on there intentions so I can do what any customer can do who is not satisfied with the service being provided, which is churn out from Telstra to someone like Vodaphone.   In the past they have had a wrap on there knuckles about service and appear to be changing and delivering updates in a timely manner because they have to get customers back.   Telstra does have the best coverage in Australia but unless they are going to service there customers people will churn. 

Would Telstra care if I left, probably not!  But what else can you do?

Call up no one knows what you are talking about.

Go into a shop know one knows.

Ask on twitter cant comment.

Ask on a forum no response.

Can you see the frustration?

Carriers need to change there mentality about updates if they choose to sell a phone they need to support it while it is in contract or let the handset manufacturer or OS provider support it with out there intervention (or minimal).

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

I can fully understand why our customers want updates released ASAP. At the same time though, CrowdSupport is not the place to force the company to have a dialouge. Its designed to allow customers to work together to resolve common issues.

Feeling somewhat like a Broken record, I'll repeat what has already been said. The people you are asking (our Front Line Staff, Twitter teams, Customer Service etc.) don't have any power or decision over these releases. I can say that I've seen some stuff internally about changes which are coming in terms of the End to End Customer Experience, and I think from what I've read this will address the update process as well.

And before you ask, I can't go into specifics or when/how this will be done, due obviously to confidentiality requirements Smiley Happy

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply Ben.

Just out of curiosity - how do you feel that your WP7 customer's would score Telstra on their "end to end" Csutomer experience to date....?

Just to point out if you were not already aware:

- We can't add comments to a Telstra Exchange post (your preferred method of customer engagement) which doesn't exist.

- We have no WP7 Gen2 announcements or Devices in Australia from ANY carrier, not just T.

- There are NO WP7 handsets avaialble online from T

- There is most likely not a SINGLE demo WP7 handset in the country on the Mango (much improved version) OS release.

- No one that knows anything about WP7 is in your "front line" - they are hidden away uncontactable

- You make no comment on important bug fixes/updates weeks/months after they are released.

How's it stacking up in your opinion?

Appreciate you entering the fray however.

Sheeds.

Highlighted

DAWOOKIE wrote:

I plan not to pursue Telstra (many have tried and failed) to get the updates but be informed on there intentions so I can do what any customer can do who is not satisfied with the service being provided, which is churn out from Telstra to someone like Vodaphone.

  ⋮

Can you see the frustration?

I understand what you're saying, and being a customer who bought WP7 and Android devices from Telstra myself, I also would like a clear statement of the company's ‘intentions’ with regard to providing future updates – but I'll settle for a policy statement instead of a table of devices, specific firmware versions, and corresponding status and/or release dates.

Carriers need to change there mentality about updates if they choose to sell a phone they need to support it while it is in contract or let the handset manufacturer or OS provider support it with out there intervention (or minimal).

The issue with the latter is two-fold: (i) a firmware update may inadvertently affect the amount of data traffic each updated device generates, which may adversely impact overall carrier network performance (although the terms and conditions of service would then probably allow for the suspension of the associated mobile service, at risk of bad publicity for the carrier) as well as generate unexpected data charges and consequential ‘bill shock’ for the device owners; and (ii) a firmware update may inadvertently introduce defects that cause devices to become not fit-for-purpose, with regard to consumer law provisions, and (unfortunately… sorta) the carriers as retailers of the devices will have to wear the impact of the OS or handset manufacturers' mistake in that scenario.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

wpdownunder wrote:

- There is most likely not a SINGLE demo WP7 handset in the country on the Mango (much improved version) OS release.

- No one that knows anything about WP7 is in your "front line" - they are hidden away uncontactable

To be fair, ‘front-line’ customer-facing staff should focus on – and some of them today are reasonably knowledgeable about – the out-of-the-box user experience because that is what Telstra, as a handset retailer, is selling. Features and functionality on demo handsets (other than the pre-packaged marketing slide shows and movie clips) can no doubt be taken, under consumer law, as formally setting customer expectations of the product, so by putting Mango on a demo WP7 handset, when the same model of handset in stock only has an earlier release of the firmware factory-installed, is going to call new handsets fitness-for-purpose into question.

I don't think it can be reasonably expected that a retailer will update a demo handset, and all sealed packages of the same model of handsets in its stock, as a way of ‘upping the baseline’.

——

Highlighted

@Drat wrote:

I don't think it can be reasonably expected that a retailer will update a demo handset, and all sealed packages of the same model of handsets in its stock, as a way of ‘upping the baseline’.

I agree. There should have been a MS initiated process (in conjunction with carriers) to replace demo handsets with Mango units following the update - or subsidies to have the carriers spend time/effort to update key stores...

Highlighted

I've never bought the arguement that the reason Telstra needs delay all these updates is because the updates might do something to the phone that affects the network for 2 reasons.

1. If phones that were updated without testing by the carrier could be so dangerous to the network, then why would you allow people to bring their own unlocked devices which get updates straight away, to the Telstra network? Most of the updates we're talking about are things like fixing bugs with the software keyboard and digital security certificates, nothing that is going to affect the network.

2. Telstra doesn't delay the updates for the iPhone, they come out straight away! I don't recall there has ever been a problem with an iPhone screwing up the Telstra network

Microsoft does significant testing of updates themselves before they release them to carriers, surely that should be enough.

Also, we are using this forum to help each other out, we're working together as the customer base to push back against phone companies who have bad internal policies. I know it's not the fault of the people who we talk to, but hopefully if enough of the customer service reps communicate the problems to upper management, things will change.

Oh & I'm pretty sure all the iPhones in store would be running iOS 5, not iOS 3...

Highlighted

Sheeds,

I'll answer what I do know..... Note that this is information from my own personal experience, and obviously may not reflect the full experience.

If I remember back (Was a while ago), I personally did a course on WP7 when I returned to the company. It wasn't detailed (Call Centre staff aren't supposed to know how to set up the devices) but it was enough to explain what the devices did.

Of all the Windows Phones we have provided to customers in my current Role (Retail Service Advisor) I can confirm that most return them back and rate the experience of the device poor in comparison to their iPhone or Android device. They don't mention bugs or anything else, they simply mention that they didn't like the design or layout.

Telstra is in the interests of selling a "Whole of Customer" Experience. Combining a great network, with great hardware, and great software. If a majority of customers don't think that Windows Phone 7 is a great experience, then the product doesn't get promoted.

To quote Steve Jobs (Insert irony here): Products are packages of emphasis. Some things are emphasised in a product, some things aren't done as well in a product, some things are chosen to not be done at all in a product. The product I'm referring to is the Package that I'm referring to above. Combining the NextG network with phones that our customers will love.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

@andrewtechhelp wrote:

I've never bought the arguement that the reason Telstra needs delay all these updates is because the updates might do something to the phone that affects the network for 2 reasons.

1. If phones that were updated without testing by the carrier could be so dangerous to the network, then why would you allow people to bring their own unlocked devices which get updates straight away, to the Telstra network? Most of the updates we're talking about are things like fixing bugs with the software keyboard and digital security certificates, nothing that is going to affect the network.

2. Telstra doesn't delay the updates for the iPhone, they come out straight away! I don't recall there has ever been a problem with an iPhone screwing up the Telstra network

Microsoft does significant testing of updates themselves before they release them to carriers, surely that should be enough.

Also, we are using this forum to help each other out, we're working together as the customer base to push back against phone companies who have bad internal policies. I know it's not the fault of the people who we talk to, but hopefully if enough of the customer service reps communicate the problems to upper management, things will change.

Oh & I'm pretty sure all the iPhones in store would be running iOS 5, not iOS 3...

Andrew,

There has been quite widley reported issues with incompatibilities on some iPhone devices and the Telstra Network recently, so there have been and are issues with how Apple does their updates.

With devices that are brought onto the network, Telstra is not responsible if the phone doesn't work. Telstra only has to supply the network (as thats all that we have sold). If your phone doesn't work, we will try to get it working, but at the end of the day we aren't obligated to get 3rd party phones working. Its against the law to use a device which hasn't passed basic safety standards set by ACMA (A-Tick Program).

I won't go into the "Extensive Testing" Argument (I'm thinking of how great MS is with releasing products that can be easily explioted such as Windows).

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Thanks Ben,

I appreciate your help and I am glad to hear change is coming and I understand your restrictions as I have said I am in a simular business.

I guess you bringing up the big issue, there is no way to find out these details.

But just to clarify I have no issue with delivery time of a update, if I know it is delayed for a reason.   Currently at this moment we have no idea were 7740 or 8107 are in the Telstra machine, I would assume testing but this is currently unknown.   So do we assumme Telstra is a well oiled machine and they will arrive shortly or do we assume there is no cost benefit or FTE to test it so it isnt coming at all.

Highlighted

Would like to trply now (good discussion) - however gotta go have a tooth pulled, seriously. Less pain than talking about WP7 though Smiley Wink back later (on good drugs). Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

I'll believe it when I see it regarding Apple iOS updates getting delayed by Telstra. That would be a news story.

Highlighted

Ben_F,

I was totally with you until:

"I won't go into the "Extensive Testing" Argument (I'm thinking of how great MS is with releasing products that can be easily explioted such as Windows)."

Phones are dedicated hardware with strict 3rd party software restrictions I dont think you can compare the Windows PC OS which is run on millions of variations.

Apple had the advantage of coming to market with a bloody great phone which gave them strong negotiating power with carriers and being able to force there hand on updates.  MS being the small fish now does not have that power.

Honestly I think the best thing for consumers would be if Android, IOS and WP had equal share which then makes them inovate, look what happened to Palm and Nokia because they were not prepared to put any real money behind inovation.

Anyhow can we keep this thread on topic and not degrade it into Apple vs MS they each have there good and bad points lets leave it at that and focus on the issue at hand.

Highlighted

OK, I'll admit my last post about extensive testing was a bit of a MS bash.... I'm a Mac, and always have been a Mac, and even I (having worked in this industry) still have issues in understanding how to use a Windows Phone.

iPhones have a great, simple OS that just does what it needs to do.

Android has the ability to customise and personalise your phone

Windows Phone has.......?

As for updates, I've asked the question internally. We are waiting on a response from the decision makers at the moment.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

I think that your previous comments simply reinforce the fact that front of house reps in Telstra have little to no understanding of the WIndows Phone operating System.

When you say the iPhone operating system is simple is misleading as each individual consumer will have their own interpretation of what is simple, I have many family and friends that have iPhone currently however they have stated that windows phones are easier to understand and navigate than iPhones, most of them even took many hours just setting up the iphone and trying to sync it with iTunes, how can you call this simple. And saying that it just does what it needs to do, yeah it does but you need to download and app to do it, which isn't that bad however for one of the leading mobile operating systems it isn't optimal.

If you were to take a stock iphone, android and windows phone device straight out of their box without loading any apps onto either of them, the windows phone is more feature rich and can do much more than the android and iphone. Yes it is different  UI which can take a little time to adjustment too however saying windows phone has......? Come on. Just do a search on the Internet and you will see that most people that have given windows phone a trial for a decent amount of time agree that the windows phone is a better designed operating system.

GCrane1982
Highlighted

Thanks Ben I appreciate it.

Your opinion is probably biased by your eco system investment like mine would be with my windows eco system investment.

I think you are being a bit harsh on WP, I see it currently like the original iPhone a cautious entry based on everything being new (ground up rebuild, not windows mobile).  I think you will see its functionality and intergration expand expotentially over the next few years. 

Yes WP7 is behind the curve now but I believe it will become a strong challenger in the coming years.

Edit: Okay people great discussion good to see passion but can we keep it on course Smiley Happy  Ben is choosing to help us play nice!

Highlighted

But its a hard device to configure and teach to a customer. Bearing in mind, customers sign 24 month contracts based on a few minutes of in store demonstration of a device.

I have as much understanding of the Windows Phone OS as I have of everything from a BlackBerry to a Nokia 6120. I've been able to pick up any device and make it work, with the exception of a Windows Phone, which confused me. I looked at them as an option personally, and they look like powerful phones, but its about making it simple and easy for each customer, which I believe it doesn't do for a majority.

Why should retail or FoH staff receive "Specific" Training on the OS? Its the job of the Manufacturer of a device to make it easy to understand and use for customers. If I was to state to my customers that Windows Phone in my opinion was simple, easy to use and setup, I would be misrepresenting my opinion.

At this stage, I think that its getting into a Relgious debate, which I won't be entertaining any more. I've stated my point, and to address the OP we are working on getting information in relation to updates for a range of Phones.

B.

PS: I should point out that I've just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.... Best Phone I've ever played with (Including the iPhone).

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

@Ben_F wrote:

But its a hard device to configure and teach to a customer. Bearing in mind, customers sign 24 month contracts based on a few minutes of in store demonstration of a device (A)

I have as much understanding of the Windows Phone OS as I have of everything from a BlackBerry to a Nokia 6120. I've been able to pick up any device and make it work, with the exception of a Windows Phone, which confused me. I looked at them as an option personally, and they look like powerful phones, but its about making it simple and easy for each customer, which I believe it doesn't do for a majority.(B)

PS: I should point out that I've just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.... Best Phone I've ever played with (Including the iPhone) (C)

A> If that's the case....more the fool them (to not research more before they buy) - and they are STUFFED then for Windows Phone, per the retail health Check survey I did of all the stores (all carriers+resellers) in one Melbourne suburb!

B> One of the core strengths of the WP OS is how simple it is to do what you want with your phone - without being simplistic.  Not sure what I can say in response to you saying it confuses you.  Don't want to be personal...

C> Does the quadcore?/dualcore? processor eliminate all instances of the lag in Android yet? Brand new, does it last a full day on a single battery?

Your earlier comment advised "waiting on a response from the decision makers" on what...whether to even bother with supplying your customers this update? Whether to skip and go to the brand new update MS announced (8710)?  Obviously the update is therefore not currently being tested.  Which OS version is the Lumia 900 LTE you guys are currently testing on?

Sheeds.

Highlighted

So Telstra also are deliberating not reviewing an update that fixed a major issue for buisness (and personal) users - the voicemail sms/message notification issue....?

Highlighted

@wpdownunder wrote:
So Telstra also are deliberating not reviewing an update that fixed a major issue for buisness (and personal) users - the voicemail sms/message notification issue....?

Sheeds,

I don't know. A majority of the users on this forum don't know, or can't say (due to Confidentiality Clauses or NDAs). What I can tell you is that we are trying to find out. Telstra is a big company, we just need to find the right people to answer the question.

Please be paitent with us. It's 5:30pm where I am, which means that most people have shut up shop over east as well.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

kk ty off to bed. was a bad (2hr ordeal) for 1 tooth extraction. not feeling greatest....

Highlighted

@Ben_F wrote:

"But its a hard device to configure and teach to a customer

I've been able to pick up any device and make it work, with the exception of a Windows Phone, which confused me. I looked at them as an option personally, and they look like powerful phones, but its about making it simple and easy for each customer, which I believe it doesn't do for a majority."

Interesting comments Ben.  I've been seriously considering buying my 70 year old parents the WP7 because I feel it is the simplist to use once setup.  You have a point around the initial setup... it's a piece of cake once you know what to do, but I'm not sure how clear MS make it for customers.

I've seen a couple of large corporations chose iPhone over WP7 not because of functionality or ease of use, but rather the fact that everyone knows iPhone and accepts it.  That's a large hurdle for MS to overcome!  I think once a user understands the iPhone shifting them to WP7 would be very difficult... they both fundamentally do the same thing, but the iPhone is the 'safe' option (even if I believe the WP7 is superior!).

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

As a Windows Phone user and enthusiast (HTC Mozart), naturally I'm eagerly looking for news on updates as well as the new range of already released Gen2 devices from Samsung, HTC, Nokia, and Fujitsu that will eventually make their way to Australia, someday. I sincerely hope that both the 7740 and 8107 update are bundled together and released soon, as I'd prefer not to have such a worrying vulnerability (SMS issue) delayed unnecessarily. 

Working at a Telstra Dealer, we sold plenty of the Mozarts, more than the LG Optimus 7Q or HD7, as soon as we were able to secure stock after launch. This was encouraging for a small country town!

The only issue we ever found with getting a customer's phone set up in-store was the inability to bluetooth contacts, but the sim import built into the OS fixes that. Customers always had their phones already set up well before they left the store, and we answered any questions asked of us (or, more often, me). From memory, we only ever had one unit come back to us that had to be sent off to the Telstra Repair Centre with a software issue that couldn't be fixed by factory reset (couldn't download a game over 3G or WiFi), but that was using the original 7008 OS release. I haven't seen any phones returned at all post-Mango release.

I've never had a customer come back to store saying they didn't know how to work the OS, or were unsatisfied with the OS. The same can't be said for Android.

The last Mozart we sold was in November to a mature gentleman who was able to pick up the OS with less than 5 minutes of instruction, even teaching his kids a thing or two about what he could do on his new Windows 7.5 handset. I've been in contact with the customer since, and he hasn't had a bad thing to say about the phone.

I will add that with the phones currently on our Live Table in store, there is no room for a Windows Phone even if the Gen 2 devices are picked up by Telstra. We are in a small town, but currently on our demo table we have the HTC Desire S, Samsung Galaxy S II, Sony Ericsson Neo, iPhone 4s, Motorola Atrix, ZTE 165+ Explorer and ZTE T54 Tough 2, in addition to a T-Hub. 4 Androids, 2 ZTE and 1 iOS. Unfortunately, I'm the "walking demo unit", always happy to show a customer how Windows Phone 7.5 works and helps to put people first.

Thanks

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

@rivenfox84, thanks for a balanced view, certainly seems that some people have one eye shut and blind in the other!

Highlighted

GREAT POST rivenfox84. Smiley Happy Kudos! Would you mind if I used this post on my blog? Please DM me if you are OK with this (and it does not impact your employer in any way)....

TY Sheeds.

Highlighted

@bitslave wrote:

@rivenfox84, thanks for a balanced view, certainly seems that some people have one eye shut and blind in the other!

Hey Hey!! I might be blind in one eye but I don't have the other one shut Smiley Tongue

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Ben, I'm shocked that you would even think for one moment I was referring to you, it was a general comment about potential new customers unable to see a different way of doing things as well Smiley Surprised

Highlighted

I said it in jest bitslave Smiley Wink I know what your referring to Smiley Very Happy

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

@bitslave wrote:

Ben, I'm shocked that you would even think for one moment I was referring to you, it was a general comment about potential new customers unable to see a different way of doing things as well Smiley Surprised

I think it would be quite clear to all that Ben (as demonstrated here) is perhaps one of the most helpful Telstra staff members you're likely to run into, no doubt his earlier reply was firmly tongue in cheek

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

Links are not normally allowed. I would like to think the Mods would make an single exception for this:

http://www.wpdownunder.com/?p=3507

Thanks rivenfox84 for a great post, and reality check, Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I have something of a reply for all of those waiting. I've been told that there is a Program of Work designed at keeping the Smartphone page as up to date as possible, and there is someone looking into how soon we can get information pushed out to everyone.

Stay Tuned!

PS: I've re-read this, and I have to emphasise - Don't hold me to anything. I'm not responsible for any aspect of this program of work (with the exception of complaining about it on Y'all behalf Smiley Wink)

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Thanks Ben, that would be awesome.  Appreciate your help!

Cheers,

Andrew

Highlighted

Thanks Ben.

Excellent that you have been able to get some puclic comment on this for us all - tnx mate.

Sheeds.

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Thanks for the write up, Sheeds! Looks fantastic!

One of the things that I think helps set our store apart is that with the exception of Blackberry, all of the major phone OS's are in use by our salespeople daily: Symbian, ZTE, Gingerbread (Motoblur + Touchwiz), iOS 5, WP7 Mango and Bada. It gives us a good range of experience to draw upon when trying to help customers out.

I don't know if I'm classed as a Telstra employee, though, as we're a Dealer not a Store (so not our only focus). I actually work in the back office, but am always happy to help out where I can.

I'm very happy to hear that we'll have some sort of announcement soon about the update, too! Thank you to all the fans and those at Telstra trying to help their customers out. It's really fantastic to see Smiley Happy

Thanks again,

Tim

Highlighted

Any time Tim. Your story was a good one, and made me stop and reflect - so thank you for that! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Highlighted

The Smartphones site has now been updated

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/phones/smartphones.html

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Sooooooo ... no change?

So my assumption is that you must have recieved notification from MS of the new versions presence and are choosing not to support in contract device.  *pauses to consider Vodaphone*

Highlighted

People please dont blame Ben he is trying, blame the machine!

Highlighted

@DAWOOKIE wrote:

Sooooooo ... no change?

So my assumption is that you must have recieved notification from MS of the new versions presence and are choosing not to support in contract device.  *pauses to consider Vodaphone*

Which is exactly that, an assumption. I asked for an update more generally to that page, and an update was provided. We are working on keeping in as up to date as possible from what I've been told however, so please don't fret if your handset isn't up there yet. I got an email this morning that my request was "still in progress" so its possible that this is a minor update, and not the 100% full thing yet (that or I don't check my emails often enough :/)

BTW, doing my (limited) research on Windows Phone 7 indicates that Mango is the latest release (which we are pushing out for the HTC/LG phones). Am I missing something here? According to the great Wiki, we can't push an update that isn't here yet..... Smiley Frustrated

Edit: Whoops, I may have come across a bit narkier then I expected. For the record, the first comment regarding assumptions is designed to remind people about how assumptions can be so wrong, particularly when your dealing with a company that has several departments that don't communicate (currently) directly with customers Smiley Wink.

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit