scoota_12
Level 1: Cadet

Corrupt Software Update

Hello, I have a HTC Sensation. Last night I checked the system updates through settings. I get a alert saying that Ice cream sandwich update is available. I attempt to download it via wifi though when the download is complete. I getting a error saying the download/file is corrupt. Would use be able to shed some light on how to fix this... Thank you

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
decoy_dan
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Corrupt Software Update

Wow! Anyone else confirm this as being available in settings?

The corrupt download due to massive load on the update server? (this OTA is literally fresh out of the oven so demand will be high)
billythekid
Level 8: Inspector

Yes, i downloaded mine last night . no problems . It took about 35-40 mins and 302 mb data.. But that  didn't matter as i had plenty left out of my 1.5gig data allowance.

Southways

Worked perfectly for me ... once I installed an SD card with enough room.

To fix a corrupt install, try Settings; About Phone:, Software Updates; & try again.

decoy_dan

Yes, I can confirm that it works for me also (took a bit longer as I had to do a bit of messing around to nand flash back my old GB rom and revert to original firmware/recovery, before I could download and run the update).

Not sure if it just did it to me because it detected a rooted rom but mine automatically did a factory reset on it's first attempt to install the update. lol, when it first booted up I was like "geez it really hasn't changed at all since Gingerbread ... wait, hang on" Smiley LOL

Anyway, had to check for updates and download it again (as the factory reset had wip[ed any knowledge of the previous download), but this time when it rebooted into update mode it completed correctly and now it is up and running ICS.

So, for anyone who hasn't run it yet (and especially those who have root), you might want to do a Titanium backup  before updating.

random111

Hey

So i tried the OTA update just now but it seems my phone is rooted or doesn't have the original recovery, thats what i get for letting my friend muck around with my phone.

How do i get it back to a stage where I can do the OTA update?

I tried and it just displayed a triangle with an exclamation point in it and a green android logo underneath.

So I did a quick google, figured out to get out of that and back to normal.

Thanks

decoy_dan

Yes, this is due to custom recovery.

Go here:
http://www.htcsensationforum.com/htc-sensation-rooting/ics-ota-update-on-rooted-phone/

On post #4 you can grab the "stock_PG58IMG.zip" file.

Put it on the root of your sd card and rename it to just PG58IMG.zip

Power off, remove battery for a second, power on while holding VOL DOWN button.

From there the bootloader should take you through the process of installing the original recovery and rebooting. Make sure you delete the zip file once you get back into android again.

Try update process again (warning: mine did a sneaky factory reset so be prepared for that)

Good luck Smiley Wink
TonyInTsv
Level 9: Captain

I got the notification that there was an update this morning. Didn't run it because I was about to leave for work. When I got home this afternoon I pluged my phone into the USB (its set to charge only by default), did the check for update option and set to download and install it. Battery was at 100%, was plugged into the PC with the USB cable. I came back to it a few hours later and it was off. tried to turn it back on, Nothing. pull the battery out, put it back in, nothing. Anyone else seen this?
I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
decoy_dan

That's pretty odd ... If I remember correctly the download finishes with a prompt to continue or install later, so it shouldn't have done the upgrade unattended.

Have you tried plugging into the HTC charger instead of USB? Any chance you have another battery to try with?

TonyInTsv

Yeh, Sorry I came back about half hour later and taped the perform update. It was just before I served dinner. Then came back after watching a movie with the skidz. I left it on charge overnight. when I went to turn it on the backlight came on for about half a second and then went black again.

I'm taking it into a Telstra shop today. I hope your right and its a faulty battery. If it is I'll be very happy.

PS. Assuming it is the battery and it has died during the update, will that have bricked the phone.

I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
decoy_dan

Oh I see 😞

Whether it got bricked is entirely depending on what stage battery died during (assuming it is the battery).

Try booting into the bootloader (power on while holding VOL DOWN) - with both your battery and the one at Telstra shop.

If you can still get into bootloader and use fastboot option then the phone can still be Resurrected by flashing images over usb (using adb debugging console from the android sdk).

Fingers crossed that it was just the battery dying after the upgrade was finished.

As a warning to others, it is probably best to not have anything plugged into the usb port during an ota update. During download is fine (you do want a full charge before beginning) but unplug before the firmware flashing happens.
TonyInTsv

No, not even the backlight comes on. I took it into the Telstra shop thismorning. They put the battery from mine into their unit and it powered it up fine and had 50% charge in it. the battery from their test unit wouldnt power mine up. Not even the backlight. They've sent it away to get repaired/reflashed/replaced so I'm without my phone for a week or so. Have taken back my old desire from my wife for the time being.

TonyInTsv

Got it back from the T-Shop yeasterday. They replaced it. Got a brand new one :D. Only had 3.4 or what ever it was by default. So as soon as I got it home I put it on charge and let it get to 100% then did the search for update. found it and installed it. I watched it like a hawk this time. Any how, it worked 😄 Now I'm trying to figure out where I had all my icons were before.

Fortunately I had all my apps backed up so I wont have to get back up to where I was on Angry birds and my Highscore on Air Control is still safe 😄

Does anyone know of an app or a way to save the all the personalized settings incase this happens again or I need to default the phone? Its happened once before and it was infuriating trying to get everything back the way it was.

decoy_dan

Cool, glad to hear you got a working one again.

Sorry but I don't know of any decent backup apps that don't require root (not saying there aren't any ... just I don't know them).

Speaking of which, now that you have a new handset and already updated to telstra ICS your phone will definitely be "S-ON" with the *locked* 1.27 HBOOT bootloader so be wary of any "rooting" guides that don't take this into account (the new firmware is notoriously harder unlock for rooting/roms).
adcondon

I have a similar situation.

Worked fine for about a week, then froze, turned off and rebooted into the booloader screen. 

It sometimes bricks for 4 hours and then will suddenly boot up and into the bootloader screen.

I have more than one battery so I new it wasnt the battery.

I have factory reset the phone and I have restored the phone.

I thought it might have been an app so I did a factory reset and It still happens. This all happend on my 1st day of a week out in the bush so im unable to do anything until I return to the Gold Coast.

This has all happened since the update.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit