Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
KrayzeeKev
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Timeline for update for HTC Desire S

The model that Apple uses is to push updates out irrespective of the phone company - kudos to apple. Android based phones go another way, they give the phone company a chance to test, and change where necessary. This is how it's always been with Android, and smart phones are purchased on the understanding that they will be improved by software updates.

I don't believe you're right. The Android testing process is far more transparent, yes. Google announces the updates exist, the manufacturers announce they have their version ready, etc. And that takes time (how long since ICS was announced and how long did it take manufacturers to announce ICS for their handsets? months?) Then Telcos get a go at testing. Then release schedules happen. But you get to see it all.

Something roughly equivalent happens with Apple. You just don't see it. By the time Apple announces the next version of iOS, all that has already happened. Sure, the operators may have less power to alter Apple's course than with other vendors but, for instance, should a telco, during the beta testing phases, find a fault with a phone that renders it illegal in the market (I'm sorry for using this example all the time but it's a real, has-happened, concrete, easy to understand use-case), I don't think Apple's going to push that OS into that market. 

I know nothing about what Telstra does or does not know about Apple's future plans. I do know that I, as a holder of a developer license, see iOS updates MONTHS before they're announced. And I've probably breached the confidentiality agreement I've accepted with Apple for saying so - but I was running iOS5 in my iPhone4 for months before the 4S and iOS5 were announced. As were thousands of other people. 

I can also guess that if Apple announce of Day 1 that a new version is released and they're pushing it out on Day 12 then it's not unreasonable to conclude that somebody in each Telco has been working with Apple. Probably under very strict NDA. Even from their own colleagues. It doesn't make sense for it to be any other way.

So, while there are differences in how much power the various players in the equation have, and very big differences in the transparency of the process (caused mostly by Android being a multi-vendor solution - both within a device and between devices), the same basic process is going on.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
pugsly
Level 2: Rookie

@KrayzeeKev wrote:
So, while there are differences in how much power the various players in the equation have, and very big differences in the transparency of the process (caused mostly by Android being a multi-vendor solution - both within a device and between devices), the same basic process is going on.

Sure. I understand that, I understand there is a lot of testing. Bringing the apply example in was probably a bad move on my behalf, with the testing cycles being less transparent.

Let us return to the crux of the matter, and take a timeline approach, and please tell us where we're being unreasonable.

25 July 2011     - Android 2.3.5 released 

late Sep 2011   - Users in UK report 2.3.5 OTA update on HTC Desire S - indicates that 2.3.5 was made available to                                      carriers earlier than HTC's announcement.

02 Oct  2011      - HTC Announced Desire S to run 2.3.5 

10 Oct  2011      - Telstra asked for a timeline of thier release

Nov 2011      - Users of other carriers within Australia start receiving the 2.3.5 update

Feb       2012      - Still no word from Telstra 

So, I appreciate all the information on the testing process KrazeeKev, thanks, it is informative. However, it's not helpful to the topic at hand. We're not demanding the update, though we would very much like it, all we're doing is asking for a timeline to when the update will be made available.

Obviously other carriers around the world and locally have managed to test and roll it out, Telstra won't even tell us if it's on thier radar. It's yet another example of Telstra's poor customer service.

IamDavid
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

All,

I wanted to share with you the current status of the HTC Desire S 2.3.5 update. This update has been approved and HTC have told us that the FOTA update will commence deployment within the next 24 hours.

Telstra currently only publishes a public schedule for major updates – there are a large number of minor updates being worked on at any one time (right now there are 32 maintenance releases across a variety of products on our programme of work). Regarding updates in general, as mentioned previously on this forum, Telstra strives to get software updates out as fast as humanly possible – we know it’s important to customers and it’s in our interest to have devices we sell running the latest software. Once software updates are submitted to Telstra they generally get turned around in 2-3 weeks (for minor updates) and 4-6 weeks in total for major updates (e.g. new OS versions).

I'll continue to keep this forum informed with regards to further device updates.

Hope this helps.

David

David Powell | GM Device Experience, Apps & OS

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

pugsly

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the update!
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

@IamDavid wrote:

All,

I wanted to share with you the current status of the HTC Desire S 2.3.5 update. This update has been approved and HTC have told us that the FOTA update will commence deployment within the next 24 hours.

Telstra currently only publishes a public schedule for major updates – there are a large number of minor updates being worked on at any one time (right now there are 32 maintenance releases across a variety of products on our programme of work). Regarding updates in general, as mentioned previously on this forum, Telstra strives to get software updates out as fast as humanly possible – we know it’s important to customers and it’s in our interest to have devices we sell running the latest software. Once software updates are submitted to Telstra they generally get turned around in 2-3 weeks (for minor updates) and 4-6 weeks in total for major updates (e.g. new OS versions).

I'll continue to keep this forum informed with regards to further device updates.

Hope this helps.

David

it's certainly encouarging to know that there are so many updates being worked on, this is perhaps the first time I've seen it mentioned by anyone of authority, perhaps whoever is responsible could reconsider how this information is conveyed and think about adding even minor releases to the information found here  http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smartphones/?red=/mobile/phones/smartphones.html#t... I would think it would stop a lot of questions and accusations, particularly related to security releases

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
looktall
Level 6: Bloodhound

even though i had already updated my phone with a custom rom because i was sick of waiting, thank you for finally coming through and releasing this update.

i agree that the software updates page needs a bit of work relating to information availability.

miked1903
Level 1: Cadet

Hello,

I was promoted for a FOTA update last night and a 2.3.5 update this morning on my HTCnDesire S

The update failed with an error indicating I was running a "modified version" of system software. I dont think I have made any mods.

Is the error related to the Telstra build or is it my phone?

Mike
pugsly

I had a similar problem. I suspect it was to do with one of the apps I had installed. I backed everything up, then did a factory reset. The upgrade then went through without a hitch.
ozecosse

Hi David,

Many thanks for your update! 

I too had the problem with the "modified version". This was rectified with the Factory Reset as suggested here and on the whirlpool forums. Very happy with the update so far.

Best regards,

Rod

KrayzeeKev
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@jokiin wrote:

it's certainly encouarging to know that there are so many updates being worked on, this is perhaps the first time I've seen it mentioned by anyone of authority, perhaps whoever is responsible could reconsider how this information is conveyed and think about adding even minor releases to the information found here  http://telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/smartphones/?red=/mobile/phones/smartphones.html#t... I would think it would stop a lot of questions and accusations, particularly related to security releases

That's exactly what's going on .I've had conversations with David and the engineering guys involved and all are keen to tweak the info on the updates page - maybe to include those minor updates that become important for various reasons (like the S2 and Desire S ones) and also to use CrowdSupport more for communicating. So David and those guys are looking into those changes. 

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
katarihug

I have just checked and I don't have any messages re an update 2.3.5. Do I need to be connected to a WiFi network to get the notification?

Cheers,

Matthai
Level 3: Gumshoe

"Katarihug",
Turn your phone off, pull the battery for a second then restart it. for some reason, my brother's desire s needed that to show the update.
looktall

@KrayzeeKev wrote:

maybe to include those minor updates that become important for various reasons (like the S2 and Desire S ones) . 

this update in hardly a minor update.

it's actually quite a significant change. it updates the system to an entirely new version of sense UI.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@looktall wrote:

@KrayzeeKev wrote:

maybe to include those minor updates that become important for various reasons (like the S2 and Desire S ones) . 

this update in hardly a minor update.

it's actually quite a significant change. it updates the system to an entirely new version of sense UI.

Whilst the changes may be significant, the status of an update as "Major" or "Minor" is usually done via the Version Number, not by the amount of changes.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Bolsty

Had to factory reset which i was not happy about! Back up worked fine, but shouldnt have to? The only app i could have thought would have been non-legit was swype and i deleted it and still nothing.

Sense 3.0 Is awesome, would've been nice if theydve gone straight to 3.5.7 and sense 3.5 though, Velocity has that, had a play the other day, not a huge update but still a bit better.

looktall

@Ben_F wrote:

Whilst the changes may be significant, the status of an update as "Major" or "Minor" is usually done via the Version Number, not by the amount of changes.

B.

that's fair enough i suppose.

i think it's wrong, but i can see your point. 🙂

tbbb

I received this update last night, but now there is no way of setting the default application that launches when the phone is inserted in the car kit/cradle.  It automatically launches in to "Locations" and you either purchase a license to use Premium Navigation or cancel and return to the main screen.

Up until yesterday I had been using a Car Pannel app that was fantastic, but now there's no way of setting that as the default car kit application.

Is Telstra aware of this reduced functionailty that forces it's customers in to subscribing for a paid service that offers less than what was available before the update?  And what can be done to rectify it?  

Otherwise the upgrade was fantastic...but this very important feature that was a key point on buying this phone for me is defunct.  Can my phone be returned for a refund as it is no longer fit for purpose?

crazyed66
Level 5: Eagle Eye

OK now when are we getting ICS???

Just kidding!!

has anyone else noticed a vast improvement on battery usage?

The update (for a minor) is awesome

AmyK

My Dad's Desire S has done the update and not mine? Checked mine last night for updates, it said there was one, so went to download it, and it downloaded seemingly too quickly, and installed. Have reset phone but still nothing, and software update check is telling me that everything is up to date!
pugsly

@crazyed66 wrote:

OK now when are we getting ICS???

Just kidding!!

has anyone else noticed a vast improvement on battery usage?

Given ICS has been announced by HTC for the Desire S https://plus.google.com/105983594520322058171/posts/1Pwtu8E4ZA4

for later this year, and after the round of updates for other phone in March, I'd hope to see it sometime before July '12.

Having said that, it relies on HTC getting it out to the carriers in good time, and Telstra having the resources to test.

AmyK

Have done soft reset and hard resets on my phone and still no update. Got my phone in June last year, and my dad got his in September, and his has updated! Really wanting this update and it just won't update! Says there is no update available for it, yet it's only running Android 2.3.3 and HTC sense 2.1 yet my dad has Android 2.3.5 and HTC sense 3.0
endlss

settings/ about phone/software update.

will install a small update , then you have to reset  the phone , depending whats on it you will have to do a hard reset and wipe it clean to install 2.3.5

hope it helps

AmyK

Have done all that and it didn't work.
Bolsty

Phone ran great for a while but a bit buggy of late. When i have a call, recently its been reverting to the old 2.3.3 answering screen where it has [accept] [decline] buttons rather than the drag to circle to answer option. Also the home screen get stuck on an angle quite a bit.

Still good, perhaps i need to clean up my phone a bit to get it to go faster but lagging a bit here and there, battery life is definately better!

Bolsty

Any idea if the desire s will great ice cream sandwhich? reason being, i think i've had mine since about July last yr or so, and have another year and a bit on my contract, would be nice to see it with ICS

Bolsty

august more like it tbh

Bolsty

Anything coming? Would like at least 1 more update before i get a new phone in about 8 months time..

Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bolsty,

Please refer to Handset updates - 6 September for more information on software update for HTC Desire S.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

HuggaBounce

Seems as though the update for ICS has been scrapped.  Seems suspicious to me... while Telstra are saying it was cancelled by HTC, you can get a download from HTCdev.com for the Desire S, and indeed other telcos overseas have rolled out OTA (is my understanding).  So why not, Telstra?  I don't feel like we know the full story.  If there's a technical reason, why not tell us?  I would guess its because everyone's warranties are probably expired by now, meaning Telstra consider it an End Of Life product and not worth the effort.

Anyway, that aside, I personally don't use any of the Telstra bundled apps, so an unbranded ROM is fine by me and as it is out of warranty I don't mind buying a new phone if I brick it.  But I was disappointed with the smoothness and reliability after the last OTA update so I'd like to try a newer release.

Has anyone got any experiences to share on upgrading to ICS using the HTCdev.com release (since I doubt very much Telstra will provide instruction)?   I believe the HTC carrier WWE region is the one to get.  Is it worth it?  Things like:

• Upgrade steps
  • Gotchas
  • Reliability
  • Performance smoothness (good/bad?)
  • Battery life (better/worse?)
  • Wireless and 3G (improved?)
  • Things that break
  • Compatibility with car kits etc

I believe a technically savvy person should be able to do this themselves, but someone like me doesn't want to go about comparing ROMs and linking to dozens of different web sites for steps done by people that didn't have a Desire S phone bought at an Australian Telstra dealer.  Would be really nice to have a set of steps specifically for this phone now Telstra don't want to play 🙂

Thanks for listening!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit