LloydGraham
Level 2: Rookie

Can't access mobile data after holiday using Global SIM in iPhone7

Answered

I used a CoverMore Global SIM in my iPhone 7 for a trip to Egypt in November. At the start of the trip I had trouble getting the Global SIM to work and called their help-desk, who fixed the problem remotely. After that the Global SIM worked well, but since returning home to Australia and reverting to my normal Telstra post-paid SIM my iPhone 7 can no longer access Telstra's mobile data.

I have been back in Australia for 12 days and nobody knows how to fix the phone, not even the Mobile Assurance teams at Telstra. The Global SIM Profile is no longer installed on my iPhone -- it was removed long ago. In Settings under Mobile Data there is no longer a heading called Profile; the APN is telstra.wap, with no Username or Password showing. I have Reset Network Settings and Reset All Settings to factory defaults many times. Telstra even provided me with a replacement SIM. The phone has been powered off and on again many times. Nothing has worked. I still cannot access Telstra's mobile data. Telstra says everything looks normal from their end, and their in-shop tech people can find nothing amiss with the phone or its settings. 

In despair I have even forced the phone to disconnect from Telstra's network by and then let it rejoin in the hope that this might reset some hidden parameter -- no luck. 

My case was supposed to be escalated to Telstra's Back-of-House Team this weekend but I missed their call-back on Sunday and haven't heard from Telstra since. I can't contact that team directly and don't have a Case Number, so will have to start again from scratch. 

Please, can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,

Lloyd.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LloydGraham
Accepted Solution

Re: Can't access mobile data after holiday using Global SIM in iPhone7

Matt - thanks for your call and advice. I can report the following results.

1) Tried reinserting the Global SIM -- mobile data is still working with it, but my attempt to reinstall the Golbal SIM Profile failed with an error message saying that its UUID was not unique, probably because it is already covertly installed. Under Settings > General there was no Profile for me to delete. Reverted to the Telstra SIM -- still no mobile data. Moved to the more drastic option.

2) Did full backup to iTunes and did a Restore iPhone, setting it up as a new phone. After that, Telstra mobile data was working!

3) Then used iTunes to do a Restore from Backup to get my content and settings back into the phone. Most of these features were successfully restored to the phone, but the invisible profile must have hitched a ride too because Telstra mobile data no longer worked.

4) Redid step 2. Telstra mobile data is now working again, and key content (contacts, photos) has been restored automatically to the phone by iCloud. Hopefully it will stay that way... I am a bit reluctant to customize the phone until I'm certain that the evil profile isn't going to be restored in due course by iCloud.

Thank you once again for your help. It is quite appalling that this bug has been around since IOS 6 and has not been addressed.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@LloydGraham

Thanks for your post.

I've had a similar problem myself.

I'd recommend checking your phone settings.

Go to: Settings > General > Device Management

If you have a management profile installed here, remove/delete it.

Restart your phone and you should be good to go.

Let me know if this does not help you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

LloydGraham

Thank you for the suggestion @DeltaSquad, but I don't have a heading "Device Management" under Settings>General.

I have also looked under all of the existing headings within Settings>General and can't find any trace of a profile.

Any other ideas?

LloydGraham
Accepted Solution

Matt - thanks for your call and advice. I can report the following results.

1) Tried reinserting the Global SIM -- mobile data is still working with it, but my attempt to reinstall the Golbal SIM Profile failed with an error message saying that its UUID was not unique, probably because it is already covertly installed. Under Settings > General there was no Profile for me to delete. Reverted to the Telstra SIM -- still no mobile data. Moved to the more drastic option.

2) Did full backup to iTunes and did a Restore iPhone, setting it up as a new phone. After that, Telstra mobile data was working!

3) Then used iTunes to do a Restore from Backup to get my content and settings back into the phone. Most of these features were successfully restored to the phone, but the invisible profile must have hitched a ride too because Telstra mobile data no longer worked.

4) Redid step 2. Telstra mobile data is now working again, and key content (contacts, photos) has been restored automatically to the phone by iCloud. Hopefully it will stay that way... I am a bit reluctant to customize the phone until I'm certain that the evil profile isn't going to be restored in due course by iCloud.

Thank you once again for your help. It is quite appalling that this bug has been around since IOS 6 and has not been addressed.

View solution in original post

RohanH
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Lloyd,

I saw your post and I have had the same issue after using a SIM card from Japan! 

I've found a solution that allows you to override the hidden profile without wiping any data, using a program Apple has released for enterprise deployments called Apple Configurator. Look on my thread on Whirlpool for more detailed directions -https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2690435

Hope this helps!

Rohan

LloydGraham

Thanks, Rohan. May be useful as I am going overseas again shortly.

The other thing I will do (in case Configurator doesn't fix the problem) is a full backup of the functioning phone to iTunes just before leaving. That way, there will be a backup to restore content from that definitely does not harbour the invisible profile.

LloydGraham

Hi Rohan,
I now have the same problem as before after returning from a second overseas trip.

I want to install Apple Configurator 2 but can't find it (or anything similar) when I search the App Store from my iPhone. It does seem to be listed at https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12, but this webpage doesn't allow me to install it on my iPhone.

Has the App been withdrawn or renamed? Any help gratefully received.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit