msmithson
Level 2: Rookie

iMessage Telstra Carrier Settings

Hi there,
Having an issue with iMessage on my iPhone 4. Had to get a replacement iPhone after the camera stopped working. Set up from a clean install but iMessage is constantly hanging saying 'waiting for activation'. Went to Apple Chadstone and they said it was an issue with the latest Telstra carrier settings that leaves new users hanging. I'm running 11.2. Any ideas/is there a fix on the way?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
159 REPLIES 159
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: iMessage Telstra Carrier Settings

couldn't set it up from a backup of your old phone?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
msmithson

Yeah thought that could work. Tried to restore from an old backup, left it 24 hours and it didn't work. So started from scratch to see if it was a corrupt leftover from my old backup. Still isn't working. Also tried switching iMessage and FaceTime off then on again and also turned the phone off and on and still no luck.
jokiin

I just did a restore 2 days ago, carrier version is 11.2 and iMessage is working fine, perhaps something else at play

really from what I've seen documented as changes from 11.0 to 11.1 and 11.2 there's nothing that would impact iMessage at all anyway
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
msmithson

Just spoke with Greg from Telstra on Facebook and he said they're aware some users are having issues with iMessage but they don't know what the reason is.
harrisonthe1st
Level 1: Cadet

I too am having issues with iMessage, it was working with most of my contacts except for one (also Telstra).

Powercycled phone no change. Turned off iMessage to send regular SMS which is fine, however when trying to turn back on it still says waiting to activate.

Also happening (and still waiting to activate) on my housemates phone, also with Telstra.

any ideas?

jokiin

whenever there's any weird software behavior power cycling generally does nothing to help as it tuns back on in the same state as when you shut it off, a hard restart is more effective, hold power and home together until the Apple logo shows and the phone reboots, this kills any dead processes and restarts them
MissCK

Hey guys, I've got the same issue. Have tried numerous ways to fix this. Restore, hard reset, updated apple id, created new apple id, removal of sim card, changed "My Info" details. Nothing 😞 it works fine through my email but won't verify my number.
Thinking a trip to the Apple store tomorrow might be needed
getsmart86

I have the same issue. Have been to the Apple store, restord my iPhone at the store, turned iMessage back on & still waiting for activation. Was told to wait 48 hours... So went back to Apple today & tried my Telstra sim in a brand new iPhone. Same issue. Apple advised me to get a new sim. The Telstra shop siad they had a few people that have reported this issue & a sim swap did not fix. 

jokiin

I think it has something to do with the device ID being tied to the SIM card which as I understand is something Apple control, people have issues with this world wide, it's not just a Telstra thing, I had a phone replaced by Apple today and have the exact same issue, no iMessage or Facetime now, I put other SIM's in the phone and they registered straight up, my existing number won't
Kano

iMessage waiting for Activation

My iPhone 4S was working fine with iMessage from my phone number until I turned iMessage off and on this afternoon. Since then it is stuck on 'waiting for Activation' and when you look in the 'Recieve at' list it says 'verifying'.

I have tried numerous tips and tricks from online to fix this including hard restarts; clearing network settings; changing my number in phone settings; removing SIM and reinserting; right up to a full restore, and nothing has fixed the problem.

I found this message on the whirlpool forums:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1859154#r13

Which suggests that Apple verifies the iMessage phone number by sending an SMS from your phone to a server in the UK and getting a response, but for some reason telstra is blocking the response.

Is this legit? Is anyone here able to give us more information?

Kano

In this whirpool thread:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1859154#r13

The user suggests its a fault of Telstra's.

jokiin

if it's a Telstra fault then all the all the other telcos are following suit, a lot are having issues with this, from what I see I would guess a routing issue between the sending server and the receiver, other issue is you can't effectively deactivate a number from this service which I think is a bigger part of the problem and a problem on Apple's end
azriel550

Here's another thread on the apple forums.  A bunch of people (including myself) all with the same problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/17503950

baboyd

Re: iMessage waiting for Activation

I'm having the same issue. I have tried every suggestion via other forums and nothing seems to work. I have heard the same thing regarding the validation sms to the UK.

Incredibly frustrating, as its now been 3 days.

Nice one Telstra

azriel550

Eliz0448

I have had the same issue since 31/01/12.  Have also gone through all fixes suggested in forums however no success.  Telstra Helpdesk have been unable to assist even though this is obviously a carrier issue.  I have asked them to escalate the issue to their technical team for further investigation.  Please contact their Helpdesk if you are experiencing the same issue so that we can get some wieght behind this.

jokiin

the wheels have certainly fallen off with this at the moment, hopefully it can be resolved in a reasonable amount of time regardless of where it is falling over or who is at fault I'd just like to see it fixed
Geoff-C
Level 3: Gumshoe

Not sure if this helps but looking at some old iTunes backup & comparing them to the last backup with iphonebackupbrowser it has some error codes in the com.apple.imservice.Madrid.plist  Library/Preferences/com.apple.imservice.Madrid.plist

Look at the line marked with the hashes  http://pastie.org/3326187

Beckboots

I just purchased my new iPhone on Friday, most of my contacts have iPhones and iMessage. When I use iMessage to send a message it comes up on all the contacts who have my email as my email address not phone number. I went in to apple today and they told me it was an issue with Telstra and Telstra only. Is anybody else having this issue.? I contacted Telstra and they said it wasn't an issue with them but with whoever was receiving my text must have my email address as the main contact not my number. It's frustrating that nobody can answer questions.. Anymore feedback?
Eliz0448

Log your call with Telstra Wireless Data Team 1800 647 514. It *is* a Telstra specific problem - any new iPhone users or current iPhone users that reboot or turn iMessage off/on. Also spoke with Apple Support (1300 321 514) and they are working with Telstra to find fix. Hoping to have new carrier settings pushed out to resolve issue.
naughtycoconut

Not working for about 3 days here too.. my phone dropped off the network and when it reconnected iMessage stopped working, I have spoken to the iPhone 'support' at Telstra in the overseas call centre, I use the term loosely as all they did was talk over me and insist I do everything three times over with resetting everything, then at the end of the call she told me I needed to contact Apple. When I insisted it wasn't an Apple issue they hung up on me.. I guess I will give them until this Friday to come up with some sort of solution otherwise I will be moving to a new carrier and Telstra have become the Vodafone of 2012! Smiley Frustrated

jokiin

@Geoff-C wrote:

Look at the line marked with the hashes  http://pastie.org/3326187

did you add the hashes or is that as the file was?

Geoff-C

Yes I added  to highlight the lines

jokiin

ok thanks for clarifying
beady

Just be careful guys, I just recieved my latest bill and on the final day of February 1st I have been charged with 15 text messages to Apples UK number +447786205094.

The worrying thing is I'be been trying to activate most days since then.

I just sent Telstra an email referring to this thread and told them I don't intend to pay for them and want the rest removed from my next bill too.

Maybe its best to keep imessage switched off until this is resolved.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@beady wrote:

Just be careful guys, I just recieved my latest bill and on the final day of February 1st I have been charged with 15 text messages to Apples UK number +447786205094.

The worrying thing is I'be been trying to activate most days since then.

I just sent Telstra an email referring to this thread and told them I don't intend to pay for them and want the rest removed from my next bill too.

Maybe its best to keep imessage switched off until this is resolved.

I've checked the Carrier File for 11.2 and the request is sent to +61418707634 and not to the UK number you describe.

Can you confirm that you are running Telstra 11.2 as your carrier file, and if not, can you please force an update (either through iTunes or by restoring the phone). In addition, are you running the latest OS, and have you jailbroken the device?

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Geoff-C

Ben_F wrot

I've checked the Carrier File for 11.2 and the request is sent to +61418707634 and not to the UK number you describe.

Can you confirm that you are running Telstra 11.2 as your carrier file, and if not, can you please force an update (either through iTunes or by restoring the phone). In addition, are you running the latest OS, and have you jailbroken the device?

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Carrier.plist#FaceTime

Looking at the link above for facetime the phone number of the activation server.

Defaults: 28818773 for U.S. & Canada, +447786205094 elsewhere.

The 447786205094 is only number that shows up in my history over 140 times & has been noted in apple forums it is to do with activation lucky I am on talk & text+ & it does not seem to be using any Bonus Text or credit.

All so you do not have to use iTunes or restore to force an carrier update just go into Settings >General>About & if there is an update it will happen OTA will ask you to update now or later.

I have restored my iPhone4  4 times now & didn't work from a set up as a new & wasted so much time on this issue.

Jailbroken or not it just doesn't work.

Geoff-C

I just looked at all the AU/NZ carrier bundles & they all got  +44 numbers & two have the +447786205094 but Telstra has the +61 number.

Telstra

<key>PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress</key>
	<string>+61418707634</string>

Virgin

<string>+447786205094</string>

Telecom_nz

<string>+447786205094</string>

Vodafone

<key>PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress</key> <array> <string>+447537410200</string> <string>+447537410210</string> <string>+447537410220</string> <string>+447537410230</string> <string>+447537410240</string> <string>+447537410250</string> <string>+447537410260</string> <string>+447537410270</string> <string>+447537410280</string> <string>+447537410290</string>

Optus 
	<array>
		<string>+447537410203</string>
		<string>+447537410213</string>
		<string>+447537410223</string>
		<string>+447537410230</string>
		<string>+447537410240</string>
		<string>+447860015020</string>
		<string>+447860015021</string>
		<string>+447860015022</string>
		<string>+447860015023</string>
		<string>+447860015024</string>

Three

<array>
		<string>+447537410204</string>
		<string>+447537410214</string>
		<string>+447537410224</string>
		<string>+447537410234</string>
		<string>+447537410244</string>
		<string>+447860015030</string>
		<string>+447860015031</string>
		<string>+447860015032</string>
		<string>+447860015033</string>
		<string>+447860015034</string>

bax_ry

This is clearly a Telstra issue.

There is no need to get stuck on the phone to india for 2 hours or go to an Apple store, as they clearly cant help. 

The more cases reported the sooner Telstra is going to react. 

They should be looking into the recent update of carrier settings and rectifying what ever they changed. 

The best thing would be to make Telstra aware of the extent of this issue.

Either make a comment on here, send them an email or contact the mobile data team as stated above.

They are clearly aware they are responsible so for all of you paying for a service you are not recieving make your self known.

bax_ry

iPhone Telstra carrier settings issues affecting iMessages & FaceTime

Id like to make Telstra aware that there is an issue with what seems to be the latest version of the carrier settings. New users, new phone activations, and current members switching iMessages on/off are reporting that the phone number validation is failing.
This is affecting large numbers of customers and needs to be made a priority for Telstra to rectify. I like all customers in the same boat are paying for a service that's not being delivered.
Others in the same position, I suggest you make Telstra aware of the size of this issue and notify them or post on the various forums regarding the problem.

edit: Merged from separate thread to avoid confusion and cross posting - Ashley, Moderator

jokiin

hopefully someone from Telstra here can bring it to the attention of the right people
jokiin

@Geoff-C wrote:

I just looked at all the AU/NZ carrier bundles & they all got  +44 numbers & two have the +447786205094 but Telstra has the +61 number.

unless the terminoligy is incorrect the UK number listed is a gateway number, I wonder if Telstra has implimented their own gateway number and it hasn't worked as expected/ the call routing been stuffed up or whatever, if their agreement says there is no charge to the end user to turn this on and off and you have thousands of requests a day I guess the costs could add up pretty quickly, just thinking out loud though, no idea if this is the case

hopefully it is something simple to address and it can be fixed by pushing out another update, be nice to think it was just a simple one line edit to get it working again

Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

I understand how frustrating the delay in activation of iMessage is and the lack of information available about what is going on and when the issue is expected to be fixed. We have passed the details you have given onto our technical team so that we find out what the problem is and get it fixed. As soon as we hear back from them we will pass on what has been found and when we are expecting the issue to be fixed.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jokiin

as you have confirmed the problem has been brought to their attention at least we know the wheels are turning, thank you very much 🙂
db

I've just ported my number to Telstra and now iMessage won't activate.

Very frustrating. I hope a fix is released soon...
jokiin

well they are at least aware of the problem so hopefully not too long
Kano

For some users it has been almost a week at this point. I would suggest that is already too long.
jokiin

can suggest all you like but things take time to fix, it doesn't take away from the priority of it at all whether it has been a short time or a long time, it's still a priority I'm sure
ms

Hi All

I ported to Telstra last week with a new 4S and I'm having the exact same issue.  My phone number is not registering under Settings > Phone and iMessage will not activate using my number.  FaceTime is also affected using my phone number.  Not a great start to using Telstra, I hope this fault is rectified very soon, it's been nearly a week.

My partner (existing Telstra user) is having the same issue as they switched their iMessage off and back on when they saw the issue I was having, unaware that it was going to affect them as well.  They have spoken to Apple and were advised that they have had many calls about it, but are waiting on a fix from Telstra.

ucas98

I bought 2 brand new iPhone 4S from Telstra last Thursday (5 days ago), these were with brand new sims, and we are both new customers (having just arrived from the UK).

I immediately noticed the lack of a 'my number' in the phone settings, and the fact that neither FaceTime or iMessage could activate. Also International Assist seemed to be having problems. Having both had iPhones in the UK, I initially put it down to some sort of conflict with our Apple IDs, and that we had restored from our previous iPhone backups.

On Friday I had a day of back and forth between phone support at Telstra (who said call Apple), and Apple (who said call Telstra). Apple were clueless, agreed with my diagnosis, and said wipe everything, which I did. Telstra said it was the Apple servers, and would look into it and call me back, but they didn't. Brilliant.

Frustrated, on Saturday I went to the Sydney CBD (George Street I think) Telstra Store, and had the tech bar guy look into it. 3 hours later he had; swapped out both phones, swapped the sim cards 3 times on each phone, and tried every hack he could find in forums. He then sent me across the road to the Apple Store, where the 'genius' put in his own Telstra sim from his personal phone, which immediately worked. Not hardware, not Apples issue, back across the road to Telstra I go.

Telstra then ring up their own tech support, eventually escalating it to 'level 3 support', and promising me a call by this Friday, didn't give me case number though. If I don't hear back, I suppose I go back and return the phones, and go with Vodaphone or something (seems a shame, from what I hear).

TLDR; Telstra support seem fairly clueless as to what to do, Apple definitely don't see it as their issue, Telstra are 'looking into it".

Geoff-C

Ok now I see a 35c charge for a UK number in my history.

Text Message 44418707634 07/02/12 00:31 1 number Main Balance 0.35

Why can't they just roll back the change & if it is a issue with the gateway test it before rolling it out to the masses just like the 11.1 update messed something up the 11.2 has done the same sure is great quality control with releasing carrier updates from Telstra.

MarkEmery

I have two iPhone 4S here at work, we turned iMessage off the other day to test MMS via the carrier (Telstra of course) Did you know MMS doesn't work on Telstra network when WiFi is active? Officially they don't support that, is Telstra response.

Anyway both of these iPhones now will not activate the phone number in iMessage, but they have activated the e-mail addresses. And Facetime still works as well. Both are carrier version 11.2

Can send via iMessage to another phone number but the receiver does not get iMessage option when sending back.

I have Wi-Fi access on so hard to imagine how Telstra network is screwing this up, although I'm certain it is their fault somehow. Toggling WiFi fixed the MMS issue sending via 3G but hasn't helped with iMessage issue.

Or does the number activation go via the carrier regardless?....

Kano

From the discussions around the place it seems the iMessage activation for your number is done by sending an SMS from your (in background) to a server which then verifies your number. Something along that communication path is failing or being blocked.

Its quite possible that a similar method is used to verify the number of the phone when a new SIM card is inserted and the people reporting that issue are reporting more symptoms of the same root cause.
jokiin

haven't tested it myself but reports from others suggest that carrier version 11.0 doesn't suffer from this problem, if you're keen enough you could do a restore and deny the carrier update when offered during the restore process so that you have 11.0 as was included in iOS 5.0.1

personally I think I'll just hang out a bit longer, can't imagine that it should take too long before they can get an update out
Antman1984

I too am having this issue and have posted about it here (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3703008?start=15&tstart=0) and called Apple support (obviously moot since all roads lead to it being a Telstra issue).

Unfortunately I don't have a backup prior to carrier settings 11.2.

That said, even if I did - what sort of fix is that (apart from a VERY temporary one).

I'd hate to have to go back to a previous restore, changing all my apps etc just because a screw up on Telstra's end! 

jokiin

11.0 is the version in the current firmware, if you do a restore it will prompt you when the phone starts up for the carrier update to 11.2 which you can decline and you'll remain at 11.0, you may get prompted from time to time still

a restore in my phone takes about an hour due to all the stuff I have on it so I don't think I'll bother, will just wait for the fix
beady

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I'm running Carrier file 11.2

I'm not jailbroken and I did a restore a few days ago but it did nothing.

I'm also roaming overseas at the moment if that helps.

jokiin

personally I travel a lot and I make a point of not fiddling with settings, restoring etc when overseas, not the time you want things to go wrong, when I'm away I do use overseas SIM's though so something that wouldn't matter so much for me
Geoff-C

It is now working 🙂

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit