DuckDodgers
Level 20: Director

iOS7 Minimising Data Usage Tips

Hey All

I see that this is an ongoing problem and question keeps getting asked so put this together last night for all users so they can go through first before asking the question.

Admin if you could review and if you think its good enough might be a good idea to make into a sticky thread. I know its a bit of a read but I think it may help you all to minimising your data consumption.

Please feel free to correct me or add more to this, I think the more input that comes through the better it will be for most people that are having this constant iOS7 data drain.

iOS7 Minimising Data Usage Tips

Background App Refresh

This options was introduced into the iOS7, this option basically allows the phone to update the selected applications in real time even if the application is not being used in anyways.

To turn the option of head to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and flick the option to Off (you can leave on and choose your apps to run in the background but you have been warned)

iTunes Automatic Downloads

Again another option that allows your apps (up to 100MB now with iOS7) to be downloaded automatically, obviously when available, via your Mobile Data. You can set this to not download at all or only when you are connected to a WiFi access point.

To toggle the options head to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Use Mobile Data toggle this to Off and it will force the phone to only update apps when the phone is connected to a WiFi Access point.

Privacy Settings

This option has been available in iOS since 5 (I think), this setting as well can use Mobile Data to update your location even though you have not requested it. Although GPS technically doesn't’t use mobile data but once it has updated it also allow an application use a map to show your location which does technically use mobile data.

To turn off head to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, from here you can choose what app you want to access your location data, so be careful what you choose. If there is an app that you use all the time like Maps then you want to leave on otherwise you will need to head here to keep turning it on and off, but go ahead and turn off what you don’t use!

Notification Centre

This was introduced in iOS7 and has been revamped in iOS but really how much do you use it??? For me I very very rarely use so at this point it’s turned off for me. This may not use a whole lot of data but there are some option in there you can turn off that you don’t use.

To see what you can do head to Settings > Notification Centre, from here if you don’t use Stocks turn it off, that will always download the latest stock information.

Multitasking Apps

Last thing to check out is what apps you have opened and kill off what you aint using. When pressing the Home button the app is still running but in the background, think of it like minimising a window in Windows 7 the window is still there and open until you click on the ‘X’ button. Please note that this may save a lot of data but it will save battery life as well as whatever data it is chewing up

To close the application double press the Home button and then swipe up to close the application properly.

Thanks

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
DuckDodgers

Re: iOS7 Minimising Data Usage Tips

Hey All

Just wanted to add one more thing to this that i just discovered yesterday make sure when you head to Settings > Mobile/Cellular have a quick at the apps closly. Lately i have been playing these games called 4 Pics 1 Song or Movie or Word (very addictive and easily passes the time on the bus) but thought to myself why the hell would these games need data, although it was very small im sure that there are games out there that may chew up large amounts of data that you aint even realising.

A lot of this is more than likely related to advertisments that are placed within the game. Probably safe to say disable data usage within games! unless its an online game and you need data i would probably go ahead and turn off data for those games.

Also by going through this list it may actually give you a good indication on what apps you have installed and maybe a good time to start cleaning up your phone from all the unused apps that you may have.

Just an other thing to look at.

Cheers

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
CJ_01
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there, 

Thanks heaps for your tips.

I have had massive drama's with this, my phone goes through at least 5G's of data every month. I use my phone to check social media and email and that's about it. 

I took it into the Telstra shop and now I can't even see the data being used for each app. Would you have any idea how I can get that back?

Example - When I go to Celluar I did have a list of apps and how much data was used for each app, now all I have is facetime and passbook. Telstra have not been able to fix this on my phone and my phone has a voided warranty due to a smashed screen replacement. 

Any advice would be fantastic!! 

Thanks, 

CJ

Finnthekid
Level 2: Rookie

I've done everything to limit data usage, my bills were 300 or more on a contract of 100 a month, I just couldn't reconcile the data even when I was asleep, I've read everything about data and so when my last bill came in and my phone was being repaired in Apple, I knew I was being ripped off, so I didn't pay the bill, went on restriction, then telstra cut my connection, we'll guess what, I waited 6 weeks to see if I still would be charged data usage,

94 $!!";" dollar son a phone with no internet capabilities, switched off, broken and telstra had it restricted and disconnected from the network

Explain that, I have proof and will be going to the ombudsman, Facebook, here, anywhere that will listen, how many hundreds or thousands had I given them for data I didn't use, it would run into the millions upon millions for all it's customers
Steve_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi CJ_01

What iPhone model do you have?

Can you also confirm what IOS version you are running? you can check by going to Settings>General>About

- Steve J

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

CJ_01

Hi Steve, 

I have an iPhone 5. and the software is iOS 7.1.2. Telstra has suggested me cancelling my contract and resigning with them as the payout figure is basically what it would cost for them to send away and Apple give me a new phone if they found it faulty. When they checked my usage (before it disappeared on my cellular tracking) the assistant couldn't see where my usage was going. 

Cheers, 

Carly. 

Palpatine

Hi Steve,

This has been a recurring theme, relating to both Data use and Battery life. There was a very good response from Duck Dogers a few days ago, and I have responded myself.  I feel that all the suggestions should be colated into a single response that can be used for many other questions on this topic I have had a first cut at such a collated response as below.  

This is possibly better discussed via a discussion blog, but should also be added to the knowledge base

If you've recently upgraded your iPhone to run under iOS7, there are two new features in this update which may lead to an increase in usage. Firstly, the default for iOS7 is to automatically update apps when you are not actively using the phone, and it will also install apps purchased on other devices using the same iTunes account.

All previous versions required you to choose to install new apps for each device and updates had to be performed manually.

You can stop this by going to:

Settings > iTunes and App Store > Automatic Downloads to off

The second new feature is multitasking- this keeps apps running in the background and refreshing content for you, which could cause a significant usage increase as it will use both wifi and mobile network data.

This can also be disabled by going to:

Settings > General >Background App Refresh to off

Ensure that you end any games and iPod activities fully, eg if you are using the iPod function, don't simply press the home button if you want to do other things, the iPod keeps running until you actually press the music stop button. Many games are similar. If you are at all in doubt that games or music are running or not, DOUBLE PRESS THE HOME BUTTON AND SLIDE ALL OPEN APPS UP OFF THE SCREEN (see per point 2 below).

There are a few "routine" things you need to get into the habit of checking, and especially if you download a new software upgrade as Apple have a habit of automatically turning many things back on.

1.     Every few days ensure that you completely power down the phone, eg hold the power switch down for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" prompt appears and power off. You can turn back on in a few seconds.
  2.     Make sure you shut down any apps that might still be running, sounds simple but:
  3.      From the home screen, double press the home button, this will bring up medium icons of all the apps you have open
  4.     Swipe each individual app off the top of the screen, this will close them.
  5.     Ensure that you are using the right version of software - if there is an update, there will be a little "1" in the "Settings" icon. Always update the software when this appears, but it is advised to do this when connected to your PC or via WiFi because a software update could be in the 100+ MB range and can use up all your phone data allowance.
  6.     4G uses more power and is only beneficial for Speed of Cellular Data Apps, and of no real benefit for voice or txt.3. Go into "Settings"
  7.       Select "Cellular"
  8.      You may elect to turn off "Enable 4G".
  9.     Ensure that "Personal Hot Spot" is off
  10.     Check your "Cellular Data Usage" figures, these should be less than 200 MB per month (right at the bottom of this "Cellular Data" section, press the "Reset Statistics" button and check the data usage say, monthly)
  11.     Under "USE CELLULAR DATA FOR", check that you only have Cellular data turned on for the things you really need. Especially the ones with high data values under them, eg Facebook and FaceTime are heavy on both data usage and on power, and some of these could be running all the time, even if you believe you have exited the app.
  12.      Turn Bluetooth off (unless you are a regular user)
  13.     Similarly, scroll down through the "Notification Centre" menu, these are also on all the time and heavier on power. I have them all turned off.
  14.      Turn off all "Location Services" or at least turn off all the ones that are not relevant to your use.
  15.     Turn off "Background Application Refresh". SETTINGS>GENERAL>BACKGROUND APPS slide to OFF
  16.      Turn off "Push" notifications (in particular this means that you only get mail when you ask for it - by dragging down the messages till the rotating star starts) SETTINGS>MAIL>FETCH NEW DATA>PUSH slide to OFF
  17.     This gets a bit repetitive, but repeat the ideas in 4 above with all the applications further down the "Settings " menu, turn off all the things that you do not really need. Don't worry, if you go to use an app that needs a Cellular Data or Location Service turned on, the app will tell you when you start it

Finally, delete any icons that you don't need or use. Turn on, press the home screen button and hold your finger on any icon until they all start to shake. Ones that can be deleted will now have a little "x", tap the "x" on any redundant icons and there will be a "delete" prompt. Delete everything you don't use. Press the home button to revert to normal

Hope this helps, but there are other places to look, see if there's some recommendations that you maybe haven't tried

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Mobiles-KB/3-Battery-Saving-Tips-for-iOS7-Devices/ta-p

Apple support dashboard at http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/assistant/

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Palpatine

Hi DuckDodgers, I have plagiarized some of your wise words and added some of my own experiences into one solution for both data use and battery life - see my response to Steve (moderator) of 2 Sept, 9 pm ish
If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks Duckdodgers and Palpatine for this amazing tips on reducing data usage for iPhone customers. Kudos to you both.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

DuckDodgers

Hi Palpatine and Joe

Not a problem, glad to have maybe have helped a small percentage of users having the same issues. 

Also @Palpatine awesome tips you have brought up there, some im actually checking out right now. thanks again.

One more i might add are for all the Facebook users out there, go to Settings > Facebook > Settings > Auto-play (turn that to Wi-Fi Only) that will stop Facebbok fromplaying videos in your stream automatically when on 4G. Unfortuantely Facebook in my opinion is the major killer of data.

Lastly I do have to admit have been MIA latley, after the personal attack by an other user i basically got sick of it all and just not bothered coming back. But iOS8 is ramping up and im gearing myself for it and have been back on here to see if i can help now and possibley for the imminet release of the new iOS.

Cheers

DanFin82

Thanks for all the tips, but I'm unsure whether I'm having the exact same problem...

I've had my iPhone 5S for a few months now, and today it's chewed up over 400MB of data despite not using the phone, and being connected to wifi, and having the celluar data turned off.

My main point of difference is that the phone has not done this until today.  Since I got this phone the usage has been the same as it's been since first buying an iPhone 4 nearly 4 years ago.

None of my settings have changed since I got the phone.

I'm connected to wifi at home, and at work.  And when Telstra notified me to tell me that I'd miraculously used 200MB of data this afternoon I turned off the celluar data usage.

And since I only have a 500MB plan it's exceededmy usage... despite not actually using it!

There's no chance I'm paying excess fees for data I haven't used.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey DanFin82,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I can understand your concerns with the data that has accumulated on your mobile service and regrettably we don't itemise the usage that is incurred on your account. This does prevent us from confirming what you have been accessing when connected to the service.

I understand that you do try and connect to the WiFi as often as possible, but there can be issues with drop outs with these services to your phone, that are not notified of and can lead to usage being accumulated against your mobile service. It has happened to me with my Sony and the connection just does not pick back up unless you toggle it back on via the device.

The service will update to within roughly 6 hours of usage being accumulated, so your balance when the notification was received may have come from earlier in the day, or even the day before depending on when this was incurred. This can lead to confusion as to when the data was accumulated.

Along with the steps above can you also reset your cellular data statistics and see what does register on this device as cellular data for the time you have this reset. Cane be accessed under settings / Cellular / reset cellular settings. 

Nothappyjan81
Level 2: Rookie

The same thing is happening to us! We have 2 samsung mobile phones and 2 ipads with a combined data allowance of more than 12GB.. on 3 of the devices they are claiming we are going consistently over the data limit.. on one of those, my ipad, 3G/4G option was not even working on it for more than 3 months! Yet somehow I was using 8GB a month! One month there they claimed I used 24GB! Not possible when I dont use Itunes at all! Bill just came in over the weekend.. $300 over usage charges.. 

How many other people are they ripping off?

DuckDodgers

thanks for you post, this thread was more aimed on how you can minimise your data usage on iOS devices, the fact that you are using an Android device i cant help ya there... well not yet at least.

interesting that only 1 of your iPad's is causing issues but the other one is not. are the settings that are on one the same as the other?

maybe try taking a back up of the one that is not chewing up data and restore to the other one and see what happens.

if you feel that you are getting ripped off just change providers probably what i would have done by now.

misstraceo

Kudos @DuckDodgers thanks for the tips.  Since June I have gone from using 500 MG to 750MG of data to suddenly 2.8GB on my iphone 5 and had no clue how as my data usage hadnt changed and Im on free wifi at work.  Yep Im at workj 10-12 hours a day and a lot of weekends so couldnt figure out how my data usage had tripled.    Had already put in place half of them but didnt know abou the backgroup ap refresh and privacy setings  and hadnt sorted out my notifications.  I hope this helps reduce it abit     thanks  Smiley Happy

Palpatine

Hi Misstraceo, as you can see from the thread of this conversation, many people have encountered this problem, and unfortunately the answer is constant checking of settings, and monitor data use.

Dingo dan and I (Palpatine) have a rather long list of tips below, but to quickly add to that, follow the prompts as below (iPhone specific, but some other menus have a similar structure). The selections to make are in UPPER CASE even though they may not be upper case on your screen:

SETTINGS

CELLULAR > (select >)

SCROLL RIGHT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM, past all the apps, but check that the ones you do not want are  OFF (not green)

SYSTEM SERVICES > (select >)

You should now be looking at the Cellular Data used by each application, I expect you will find one or two with particularly high usage, eg PERSONAL HOTSPOT or FACETIME. Double check to ensure that these high use things are turned OFF in the previous list you scrolled past.

Go back to the bottom of the "SETTINGS > CELLULAR >" list of applications and press RESET STATISTICS. (Only do this after you have looked at, and made a note of,  the data use by application).

I have a post paid iPhone, and I make a habit of Reseting Statistics at my monthly bill cycle date, this way I can keep a good track of data use and compare with either my bill or the use as recorded on the Telstra 24/7 iPhone App. Keeping in mind that the 24/7 App usage might be 24 hrs behind, I have found that the figures are reasonably aligned.

I'd like to emphasise one guilty app, and that is Facetime. if you have Facetime turned on, and the person you are calling is also using Facetime, going into Contacts without care, and selecting the contact from a random press can accidently make that call via Facetime, possibly without you realising. Such calls are fine using home wifi, but a 19 minute call using your phone data allowance could be over 100Mb!

Also, it is very important that you recheck all the Cellular Data using Apps if you ever update your software, as I have noticed that updates may turn ON some applications as a default.

Hope this has been of some help

Palpatine

IOS Update - Minimising Data Usage Tips

Just an update on this thread which I feel came about with iOS 8. Something.

A new iPhone comes out of the box comes with certain high data use settings turned ON as the default, these include Backgeound Application Refresh (SETTINGS> GENERAL> BACKGROUND APPLICATION REFRESH - slide to off) but more importantly SETTINGS> iCLOUD> is ON, as well as iCloud Backup!

So, if you are changing from an old model to a new iPhone, and the sales assistant offers to transfer all your data, turn the above settings off first, because as soon as the new phone is activated, it will automatically back up to iCloud, and depending on how much data you transferred from your old phone (say 1000 photos), your plans data allowance could be blown immediately - this assumes that you had an iCloud/iTunes user name
Emily17

Phone was completely connected to WiFi. And charges of other darta were coming in . Telstra less then happy to deal with complaint afttee been offerd $40 i declined and rang oberdsman two min later i was rung back by Telstra apologise for the yelling for a staff member down the phone and offerd $140 data reinbursment , i refused saying i have taken issue to ombudsman asking for this to be looked in to as i belive this has been going on for some time and want a full 2 year histroy of charges when devices were within my home adress . Surprisingly they hung up... so fully documented it and re rung the oberdsman. With all my call now to be recorded as i have never had such rude customer service

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit