JohnDodson
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Crowd support structure, new subjects & finding things

How can I...

Create a new very top level CrowdSupport category that is discussion about CrowdSupport itself?

Then within that how can I create a category for improvements to CrowdSupport?

Then within that how can I encourage the powers that be to also put the navigation

(boxes numbered to take you to the end of long discussions that are only at the bottom

& require a long scroll to get to) to also be at the top of a discussion making it easier to

navigate?

Then within CrowdSupport improvements again, how can I encourage the powers that

be to identify discussions that have become long, old & containing multiple subjects

& which may have drifted, to reorganise & split discussions to new (short & sweet)

headings which better highlight the current topic with better highlighted answers?

There also needs to be the ability to point the discussion on to the new or other locations

easily available as something like - create link here to....

AND lots of other improvements?

Like a button that some senior member can push that says "We need telstra comment on this! From someone who really technically understand the problem!"

AND... Maybe we need an extra heading that is "CrowdSupport Wish list"?

AND...

John

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Crowd support structure, new subjects & finding things

Thread hijacking occasionally occurs, and I have asked posters to start a new thread, which has generally been well received.

It can be useful to jump to the last page of a multi page thread because that can be where the solution is either located or referred to.

Your ideas are well intentioned, however they would require more Admin involvement whereas in reality it appears to be diminishing.

JohnDodson

OK... "Well intentioned however..."???

So... not going to happen???

Is Admin being encouraged to diminish?

If so, time for a new start! 😉

Or at least some indication that the community find this system useful to the very senior management of telstra?

In the face of hours on hold, or misunderstood chats.

Seems to me the admin would actually be minimal & most of what I said is easily automated,

eg. when a thread gets to 5 pages a link that says - maybe this should be a new thread - appears?

(I obviously don't have access to the code that drives this system so at the moment I'm in the dark

about how it could be implemented)

But even a top level code of conduct (hard for me I get so frustrated with telstra!) that covers things

like how the board should try to structure itself giving advice on threading etc.?

Does that not exist? (Or perhaps no one - like me - reads it?)

I'm not really talking about "Thread hijacking" but in some cases a thread goes on for seemingly years

with no real sign of a resolution,

eg.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/modems-hardware/discussion-arcadyan-firmware-update-notes/m-p...

It has great stuff & people in it, but the problems seem to have lasted years & "telstra" input has seemingly stopped ages ago.

Impressively there is a new version & that will hopefully make everyone happy.

You say the jump to "can be useful" - can we rephrase that as "absolutely essential"?

Most similar discussion boards have those "jumps" at the top & bottom. generally it's "standard".

It also functions as an immediate indicator of the length of the discussion when someone first

visits & allows them at least to see how long it might take to find the "answer" they are looking for.

Sorry, I'm really just thinking I'm stating the obvious. Maybe not.

John
JohnDodson

I am now even more confused about the structure of this system...

This conversation is in

John
Mkrtich

@JohnDodson Thank you for raising a thread on the Crowd Support operation. Hopefully more people can also contribute their thoughts through your thread to Telstra Community Support staff. Your last post appears to have suffered some corruption. I have also had the Red Authentication errors in the past on Telstra and Optus sites - I think it is a false positive.

Telstra use the same Khoros framework for Crowd Support as Optus does for their YesCrowd and both have similar limitations although the Telstra site is much slower to due to the overused prevalence of unnecessary extra large photos and graphics.  It is not difficult to get a sense of some abandonment in regards to the lack of active offical responses from Telstra that don't go past a suggestion to report the problem through other channels e.g. Code chat, reference links or telephone contact details. 

Brains Trust members have the ability to Move posts where the topic changes, private information shown or uses offensive language. We can also ask Moderators to Edit information. Sometimes it is difficult to Move posts as the changes can be related indirectly or it may be of general interest to post followers. In regards to the number of pages under a thread, I think the Telstra site is reasonably conservative in that area. The 'white hat unofficial development team of hackers 🙂 [ for some reason Emoji icon is not responding' EDIT - does not show when typing, but appears to work for reading view? ] that keeps the Technicolor Modem thread alive on Whirlpool is over 400 pages and I have seen other threads on that site with over 1000 pages and many posts go off topic but make an interesting read. Whirlpool pages as much longer than Telstra's.  

We have had positive action taken by Community Managers in the past in regards to the structure of CrowdSupport. It's disappointing when feedback is not received. I am not sure if this is known by all users - I didn't realise we had a Wiki - it was a revelation to me initially when people were referring to a Wiki that I could not see. The Crowd Support Wiki was not visible due to a video resolution issue - we had to use the Control and Minus to shrink the screen to see the link. That problem was fixed after lobbying by Brains trust and it is now visible under the Blue CrowdSupport link at the top left hand corner next to the Telstra Icon. The Wiki link is at the bottom of the screen ( a suggestion to place it at the top for better visibility did not get up) - once you select CrowdSupport Wiki link, it will open up all the usual categories  and you can then select e.g. Mobile, Broadband and NBN etc. We have tried to resurrect the Wiki, which appears to have been forgotten prior to Brain Support members started to publish there last year - not having a user friendly view of the link prior to the current setup may have contributed to that state. I would still like to see it at the top of the tree for selection rather than at the bottom.

I would encourage other users to add to your thread - the more people who do indicate an interest in improving matters, hopefully, the more likely somethings will change.  

JohnDodson

Thanks Mkrtich for a little enlightenment 🙂 (I'll just use text)

I just pressed "accept as a solution" because it had a tick in it & I didn't want to "accept" just yet"

It gave an error "entity too big" (or words to that effect) whatever that means! - does anyone look at the

error log for this system?

Yes, the corruption occurred after it complained that there was illegal html (I'd pasted a link - go figure - can I

see the error log 🙂

Let's hope someone will allow one small change that we can build on, or should I ask what the version

number is & are we running the latest? (Khoros? - I see the  CEO, Jack Blaha - is that nominative determinism at work? 🙂

Yes this system sure is slooooow...

Any idea why it seems the same place is named "Modems & Hardware" in one place & "Modems & Wifi" elsewhere or are they really different? Confusing or just inconsistent (Like the moderator managed to rename

one level but does not have rights above?)

I think I used this system years ago when I couldn't get any anwers out of telstra, or spent so long on the phone I got frustrated - as usual, I think I was a bit frustrated by it then - obviously you need to persist if you are going

to get anywhere but I always want to fix something that seems broken to me before I start to "use" it in earnest.

John
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

I guess the bigger question of what Telstra intends to do with CrowdSupport in the long term needs to be asked?

The reducing presence of Telstra people including @Gamgees or other Manager, no information/lack of monthly updates etc. would seem to me to be signs of a forum in the stages of running down perhaps?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Mkrtich

Yes, it doesn't like pasting a link as I discovered in early days, the Insert/edit link icon has to be used and for pictures, the Insert Photos icon. I have also had an 'illegal html link' error in the past which asked me to review the message before a retry - sometimes without changing anything, the second Reply action sent it through. I have experienced this on the Telstra and Optus web sites as well - thankfully, after giving up and Cancelling the post, the AutoSave feature has assisted in some occasions by keeping the text as a draft which has not been sent and when I have been in a dead end, I copy the text before deleting the post and do a fresh one with the pasted text. 

The differing title headings in the CrowdSupport web site for Broadband&NBN / Modems&Hardware web and the CrowdSupport Wiki / Modems&WiFi may be due to different people doing the web design and layouts at the time.

JohnDodson

Certainly is the bigger question.

I'm told that the telstra "helpdesks" will all be returned to Australia by 2022 & that there is some kind of

rethink of the customer experience (mine never seems to fail to be frustrating) planned.

John
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

I also read the 2022. If they were serious, they would have done it a year ago.

By largely closing off the present 132200 number, that reinforces my opinion.

It doesn't take  2 years to expand a call centre, as they outsource it anyway and there are local contractors in Australia, of which I worked for one.

Well before Covid, I read in an industry article that their wish was to digitise customer "service"  and Covid gave them the unexpected excuse.

Plenty  of big organizations eg one of Australia's biggest banks did it within days.

The downgrading of Crowd Support as already commented on is just another economy measure in their 2022 plan, and C.S. is part of social media, where their 24/7 facebook presence appears to be their preference. As most C.S. links have already been removed from Telstra sites, it's obvious there's little or no future here. The senior staff manager and manager apparently have not been present most of the year from what I know, and can be corrected.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
JohnDodson

Thanks for the responses folks.

I have an email from this system (CrowdSupport) telling me that I'd received replies

& "did it solve your problem" to which I think the resounding answer is NO!

Notably it was signed "Your Telstra CrowdSupport Team".

I don't think we can say that it is resolved, so I intend to push the "No, I still need help"

button, & see what happens.

I think what might start to resolve it is probably another email to REMOVED

but lets give the above button a chance.

The big question pointed out by

John
Dowser

Due process usually involves working up the chain of command/responsibility, not leap frogging straight to the CEO.

JohnDodson

OK, so what is the due process?

Will it take long?

Perhaps first we should move this discussion to the appropriate forum?

(That is, that it's about this system itself as noted before)

Then I guess, we need to understand where the chain of command/responsibility starts & how

it eventually reaches the CEO (I'm interested in such things, deja-vu in many contexts, the intervening

chain is usually simply one of "resistance to change" - I was so guilty of it often, but once I'd thought

about it overnight, written the code on the train to work)

John
JohnDodson

It's been a week since I asked...

OK, so what is the due process?

Will it take long?

Is there anyone that can advise me on the best way forward?

John
SteveW_52

It's not an easy question I guess..

There is a lock of real Telstra contributors in the forum lately, who could advise on the process..

Maybe a message to @Gamgees  whom I believe to be the current forum manager (but haven't seen any posts from him recently).

As I have said, I think the forum - useful and supportive to customers as I personally think it is, is in rundown phase and the lack of Telstra presence attests to that. But no formal comment has been made at this stage.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Dowser

By due process I meant that the normal course is to move up the chain of command one step at a time.

Steve has mentioned one CrowdSupport manager.  @

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit