ausgumbie
Level 11: Detective

NBN "Installation Notice" after NBN installed?!?!

Has anyone else got a weird letter - ostensibly from NBN (or rather some NBN contractor) - telling them that NBN/its contractor is "intending to have equipment installed at your property"?

We did, today. What an unwanted surprise!

You see, we've had NBN connected via HFC and (fingers crossed) with no problems since 27 Nov. 2017. Hell, even NBN's Check-Your-Address page states for our address "Your premises is connected via nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) technology."

That's not to say there weren't frustrations and dramas along the way (I've vented about them on another thread). But, once we were connected, we stayed connected. No hiccups - all too good to be true.

Then today, Monday 22 January, just to burst our bubble, we get this letter:

An accompanying booklet contains, in what I found rather high-handed language, information about what the NBN contractor is going to do and what you can do if you don't like it or have questions.

If you want to send a letter objecting, you're told on page 7, it will only be "accepted" if it arrives "five business days before the planned installation start date". What date might that be? Our letter has given us a period of 5 months above - starting 7th February.

Alternatively, you can "call ... on 1800 550 234". Now, some suspicion has been voiced about that number online. See Reddit, and Reverse Australia.

Other aspects of the letter are a bit concerning. (1) Thin paper of letter and pamphlet - also quality of printing - NOT like other materials received from NBN in past. (2) URL references to NBN say "nbn.com.au" - not "nbnco.com.au".

So, a mail-based scam or legit? Whether a scam or legit, they appear to have someone pretty hapless manning "1800 550 234" (See the Reddit link above, and "JustStarted"'s posts on Whirlpool).

I actually found 1800 550 234 officially cited online - once. That was in an obscure document sent to the Strathfield Municipal Council concerning a proposed NBN project (October 2017). There, it was given as the number of the "NBN Network Delivery Contact Hub" - apparently a Telstra number since "Bla-bla-bla-Hub" was followed by "Telstra" and a "team.telstra" email address.

We've written to NBN via its online report form - I'll have to report what results there. Meanwhile, any and all comments here appreciated.

Cheers

ausgumbie

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: NBN "Installation Notice" after NBN installed?!?!

Unfortunately, scams are not a new thing and I would recommend sending the details of this to https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/ which is a part of the ACCC. You can find out more about what they do here

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ausgumbie

Thanks Shellock

I might hold off on the Scamwatch report for a bit. The jury seems to be out on whether it's really non-genuine. I've emailed NBN and followed up by phone and there is an emerging consensus the letter may, in fact, be genuine. That is, it is a generic letter whose sender (an NBN partner) seems to have assumed all their clients are to-be-NBN-connected and forgotten that some are already NBN-connected.

Also, a query. Why are your reply and mine marked as "Accepted Solution"? I didn't intentionally mark them as such. I notice the page is glitching and it may be that I have inadvertently clicked on the "Mark as Solution" box as the page was jerking around. Could it please be "un-marked" as I'm not sure yet that it is a scam and so reporting it may well not be appropriate.

If I can establish its intent, that may well be useful to other CrowdSupport readers.

Many thanks

ausgumbie.

ausgumbie

Hi Everyone

Mods, I reported a glitch that has resulted in this thread marked as "Accepted Solution" and "Answered". If it's possible to remove those inaccurate allocations I'd really be grateful and possibly readers would too.

I'd just like to add, for the benefit of readers, that I'm satisfied the letter is, in fact, genuine.

I phoned the NBN partner concerned (Visionstream Pty Ltd). I eventually got through to the office that I believed might have issued the letters and spoke to the Project Manager and Land Access officer there. The "chain of phones", so to speak, to these officers had been from authentic numbers I'd located and phoned at NBN and at other Visionstream offices. 

The Land Access officer was able to confirm the letter as genuine. That's issue one out of the way.

The other issue was that recipients were told they were to be connected to NBN, whether they were already or not. From talking to NBN and corresponding with other recipients of the same letter, it seems evident that a majority of recipients will not have been connected, so a "you're-to-be-connected" letter is appropriate for them. However, NBN confirmed they'd received a number of queries from people like myself who were already connected and so were a bit confused.

I have asked to connect with Visionstream's Public Relations section to alert them to this situation so they can modify future letters if they wish.

Hopefully, the above will assist any fellow Telstra "NBN-connecteds" who get a similar letter and start worrying.

Cheers

ausgumbie

mazinoz
Level 19: Deputy Director

mazinoz

Sorry posted and then read some more. Seems you are not alone in your confusion. Don't you just love time-wasting irrelevant official seeming mass mailouts?
ausgumbie

Hi mazinoz

Thanks for responding. There should, I think, be a lot more care in what is mass-mailed. Corresponding with others on another forum, it seems more people than just our household got that letter. On the other hand, evidently not everyone among our neighbours who were recently connected to NBN via HFC got the letter. The lack of consistency gets me.

Perhaps they were mailed out according to some other criterion but damned if I know what.

LATE EDIT: Also, not always irrelevant! As one respondent on the other forum said, he just doesn't want the techies, who are apparently coming to "check" and "test" already active NBN connections, touching and breaking anything that presently works just fine. Something one of the folk I phoned ruefully admitted has happened.

While I'm quoting, I'll reqoute what a mate said to me recently: "That's NBN, spelled 'c-h-a-o-s'." The NBN project is monumental, and it's evidently too big for Australia's infrastructure to cope with. And now it's too late to put the genie back in the bottle. Heaven help us all.

Cheers

ausgumbie

ausgumbie

I'll just add something by way of clarification that either this site or my internet connection didn't allow me to add to the edit - apparently you only have a couple of minutes to edit. Grrrr!!!!!

We'd first contacted the NBN via its online query facility. A reply came almost immediately. NBN was sorry for the confusion about the letter! It had merely been to advise us that techies would call to do a 5-minute test on our external box to make sure everything was working as it should.

REALLY? OK, then - any thread visitor who actually reads the letter I posted then the italic/bold bit here can feel free to chastise me for not inferring that immediately. Sure.

When I'd phoned NBN later, I'd spoken to a lass about my original contact and NBN's email reply, she confirmed there'd been a number of folk in our position (already with an active NBN connection and confused by a letter saying they were about to be connected).

She agreed that the letter didn't suggest a "test" was being offered, but explained that NBN was using the time gained by suspending new HFC orders for 6-9 months from 11 Dec. 2017 to (a) complete outstanding HFC connections ordered before the cutoff and (b) check the physical state of HFC connections made before the cutoff. So, we probably would be getting a visit by techies to ensure customers are having the experience NBN wants them to have.

It would have been better if this had been posted earlier, but there you go.

Cheers

ausgumbie

teddyboy2014
Level 6: Bloodhound

Its a shambles, just wait until you want tech support.

How did Telstra get in this mess??

The overseas tech support is nothing but dreadful, no call backs, no service, and reference numbers to keep you happy, but do not exist in the system.

Lets get back to inhouse support...in Australia. Overseas support workers are very polite, but fix nothing
Edward Biggs
ausgumbie

Hi teddyboy2014

Tell me about the overseas "support"! Been there, my friend, done that (or rather, been done by it).

There are some interesting threads across at the Whirlpool Forums about support outsourcing overseas. Politicians must be aware of what many (most?) Australian customers feel about overseas-based support, but they don't listen because nobody makes them. The various CEOs of telcos don't listen because they're too big for anyone to figure how to make them listen. NBN have legislation that says they don't have to listen (they can hide behind the IPs).

It's going to keep going like this until common, unprivileged, dependent and non-empowered Australians either feel hurt enough to get up of their behinds and force change on those higher up the pole, or just collapse into apathy which is the dream of powerful and privileged folk the world over.

Having just said that ... ?!?! I just crossed over to Whirlpool's dark side and - on a thread I've been neglecting for a bit - I found someone had posted this SMH article: NBN protester's problem solved by police called to remove him from Telstra store. Now, if this isn't a feel-good story for our age, what is?

Smiling now (for the time being)

ausgumbie

mazinoz

"It's going to keep going like this until common, unprivileged, dependent and non-empowered Australians either feel hurt enough to get up of their behinds and force change on those higher up the pole, or just collapse into apathy which is the dream of powerful and privileged folk the world over."

That's what got Trump into power. How he does is still uncertain.
ausgumbie

Hi all,

Maybe time to lurch back to the topic.

Just recapping the core issues of the OP.

ONE. The letter is apparently genuine. I say that because the "chain-of-phone-numbers" I used to get to the Land Access Lady began with a genuine number I phoned at Visionstream's main office in West End, and NBN (and many pages on its website) confirm Visionstream is a contracted partner.

TWO. Visionstream's Public Relations person has yet to contact. I'm not being cynical when I say I'm not holding my breath and will probably need to follow that up.

THREE. It occurred to me later - I think real slow (Queenslander):

What "5-minute testing" is it that the techies plan to do???

I'll have to go back to the Project Manager again and ask. (Sigh!) It does pay to make a list of things you want to ask folk before you ring them.

ausgumbie

ausgumbie

I couldn't post this to my CrowdSupport thread – or get into my Telstra Account – Wednesday because Telstra was down wasn't it?

So, it now it's umpdiddly days later, I'll post what's now old news.

Visionstream Community Relations Lady phoned Tuesday:

VCRL: Yes, the letter was genuine.

ME: Some of that letter's recipients seemed to be "already-connecteds" who didn't want tecchies wrecking what was already working. Could Visionstream please revise the letter to reflect this for future sendings.

VCRL: (Pleasant, but non-committal reply).

ME: So what will the tecchies be doing?

VCRL: The techies would just do some tests.

ME: Good oh, what tests?

VCRL: (General reply.)

ME: Did she want my property details – I, too, really didn't want anyone re-installing?

VCRL: No, the techies would see on the system that I was already connected. The lady was happy that I was connected and all was working – that was a good-news story to end the day on.

I'm not going to bother phoning the Project Manager back – I doubt if I'll get any more details.

There were some guys in a pit across the road Tuesday who told me, when I queried them, that yes they'd cut me (and probably a few others) off the internet. "Only be about half-an-hour". No, they weren't from Visionstream, although they'd done some contract work for them in the past. True to their word, the internet returned to me in half an hour.

I'm getting a certain feeling about us common consumers and those drawing salaries in the NBN, its partner companies, their sub-contractors, Telstra and all the other RSPs, their CEOs, politicians, bla, bla, bla.

ausgumbie

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit