PaulQ
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

How to configure Port Forward on your Home Network Gateway Technicolor TG58x & T-Gateway

Answered

If you are having problems configuring Port Forward on your Home Network Gateway Technicolor TG58x & T-Gateway try following these 10 easy steps.

Step 1 of 10:  Open up a browser window, then go to the following web address http://10.0.0.138

Step 2: In the main window, under the “Toolbox” section, click on ‘Game & Application Sharing’:

Step 3: In the ‘Game & Application Sharing’ window, under ‘Pick a task…’, click on 'Create a new game or application':

Step 4: In the ‘New Game or Application’ window, enter a ‘Name’ for this new port forward rule, choose ‘Manual Entry of Port Maps’, then click 'Next':

Step 5:  In the ‘Game or Application Definition’ section, you can now enter your desired Port range you want to forward, then click on ‘Add’:

Step 6: Click on 'Apply':

Step 7: In the ‘Pick a task…’ section, click on ‘Assign a game or application to a local network device’:

Step 8: In the ‘Assigned Games & Applications’ section, select your new rule under ‘Game or Application’, then select your device under ‘Device’ you want to apply this rule to, then click 'Add':

Step 9: Hit the 'Apply' button:

You have now configured your Custom Port Forward rule for your device:

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Yannick
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: How to configure Port Forward on your Home Network Gateway Technicolor TG58x & T-Gateway

For instant quick answers/tutorials and ‘How to’ steps your Home Network Gateway Technicolor TG58x & T-Gateway 

Help and FAQs

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Yannick
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: How to configure Port Forward on your Home Network Gateway Technicolor TG58x & T-Gateway

For instant quick answers/tutorials and ‘How to’ steps your Home Network Gateway Technicolor TG58x & T-Gateway 

Help and FAQs

View solution in original post

Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Chi confirmed that some basic functions such as port forwarding don't always work very well on the Technicolor modems and that they are developing a fix for it. You can check whether or not your port has been correctly forwarded by putting in the details at canyouseeme.org
Lathania

Excellent thanks

Sellars
Level 1: Cadet

Step 8 gives me an error.

The port configuration of the game or application conflicts with an already assigned game & application. Assigning this game or application is not possible.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Sellars wrote:

Step 8 gives me an error.

The port configuration of the game or application conflicts with an already assigned game & application. Assigning this game or application is not possible.

Means you have already assigned that port to another PC somewhere.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

rach680

Thanks for the reply. I've followed all those steps and it seems to work fine, I don't get any error messages, but the designated ports are still showing closed (and filezilla still doesn't connect). How would I be able to tell if a port's in use for another application? Thanks.

JDMils
Level 6: Bloodhound

I'm getting the same error:

I'm trying to configure port 51413 to my media player with no success. Trust me, I have NOT assigned this port to any server as my "assigned" list is empty!

Technicolor TG797n v3

|
|
+-- JDMils
|
JDMils

The reason I'm getting the error when I have no port forwarding rules setup is that the respective port is being used by my media player, and has the "Use router uPNP" option set. So the media player has "asked" the router to open that port.

I'm now trying to setup a port-forward rule to open the same port and the router doesn't like the two requests happening at the same time. The solution is to shutdown the media player and reboot the router which clears open uPNP ports.

If you do not want to restart the router then you can shutdown the media player and after a few hours the router will drop the uPNP request which makes the port available to you to create a new port forward rule.

|
|
+-- JDMils
|
Culebron

Hi,

I followed these instructions and I still can't access the device from outside my home network. The device is a webcam which I want to connect to port 81. The current public address of my home network is 56.169.37.120, so I assume the webcam will be available at 56.169.37.120:81. However, using a port scanner, all of the ports on my home network, including port 81, appear to be closed. A number of articles suggest that these may be blocked by Telstra, rather than the modem. How do I open port 81 so I can access this webcam from the Internet?

Thanks,

Rob

patchezza

Hello again, this did not work. I am able to view the cameras via my local network but not via 3 g. I have changed my ipaddress and added the ports but your new device will not port forward all the cameras. Nor am i able to see my Plex media server via 3/4 g.

Everything worked fine before this new modem. I had been able to use port forwarding without any dramas.

JDMils

Hi Patchezza,

You need to have the following information to setup port forwarding:

1. The IP of the device inside your network.

This is, I would assume, a central control station to which all your cameras connect to. I assume that when on your internal network, you would connect to this device to view the cameras?

2. The port which the device uses.

This will either be port 80 (HTTP) or 443 (HTTPS) but being a proprietary device, it could be any port. I would assume this would be both TCP & UDP but your device's manual should tell you what type of protocol to configure.

3. The logon credentials of the device.

Pls make sure your device asks for logon credentials before attaching it to the internet! You do not want to put an "open" device from your internal network onto the internet.

4. The IP of your WAN link.

This is the interesting bit. I have a static Telstra-WAN IP attached to my account which means that for the rest of my connection's life, it will ALWAYS get the same IP. You need to know whether you have a static IP or a dynamic IP. Static IPs come at an extra price!

So, as an example, let's say you have the following:

1. Device IP: 10.0.0.101

2: Device Port: 80

3. Logon credentials: Patch / Ezza

4. Static IP on WAN: 56.56.55.54

You would thus create the following "Game & Application Sharing" item:

From port range 80 to port 80 (for both TCP & UDP), redirected to port 80 on IP 10.0.0.101

What you do now is find your device in the Device List. This is the list of all internally connected devices and shows whether they are connected to LAN or WLAN, their IPs and their MAC addresses. Once you find your device, configure it so that it has a nice name, like "My_Camera_Console".

Now you need to assign the "Game & Application Sharing" item to your device "My_Camera_Console".

Once this is done, goto the internet on your external device (mobile phone, friend's home computer, etc) and point your browser to 56.56.55.54. You should now get a logon page for your camera control device.

I've done this quite a few times and it works every time. If you have any issues then it would be related to your device, 99.5% of the time!

Let us know how you go.

|
|
+-- JDMils
|
Cleave

Thanks for the advice.

I have a new NBN FTTP Telstra connection and like others have been aflicted with Technicolor TG797n v3.

I have a simple set of CCTV cameras which I used to able to connect to when away from home. This was achieved by simple port forwarding. The "new" TG797n v3 web interface allows simple setting of the port forward - very easy. The only problem is that with software version 15.3 the port forwarding does not work. Last week the port forwarding with the same settings worked fine for me now the forwarded port is blocked at the gateway.

I was about to junk the Technicolor gateway as many have recommended but as far as I can find out it is the only option to provide my telephone service. There are the two RJ11 ports on the NBN box but these are not active.

It would be appreciated if someone in Telstra could fix the port forwarding on the Technicolor TG797n v3 version 15.3 software and/or provide an option for the activating the voice port on the NBN box so that we customers have the option to enjoy the voice service which we pay for and use a decent gateway which will support the very basic function of port forwarding.

Thank you.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Cleave,

If you wish to use an alternate modem, you can set the Technicolor modem in Bridge mode (located under LAN tile in Advanced Settings) which will allow you to use the phone service and connect a BYO router of your choice.

- Shelly

JDMils

Where did you get the updated firmware? Mine is running on old firmware as shown here:

Product Name:    TG797n v3
Serial Number:   XXXXXXXXXX
Software Release:    10.3.V.C
Software Variant:    BT
Boot Loader Version:    1.1.4
Product Code:    3692888A
Board Name:    DANT-O

My router keeps crashing every so often so maybe I could get the latest firmware as well?

PS. Port Forwarding works really well on this firmware.

|
|
+-- JDMils
|
Tatsuga

I have the same problem with my local camera. so i can only view it on wifi network but not on 3G via an app provided by the camera people. i also noticed that on the camera network setting there is port signaling port. media port and mobile port. so i went to port forwarding to trigger the signal port and it didn't work. 

So apparently according to your instruction i was supposed to trigger the http port 80 instead ? but could you tell me how to config on the mobile app to view the camera ? do i use the public IP and port 80 on the app or signal port on the app ? i am confused. thanks in advance

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Tatsuga

This would be a question best suited for the manufacturer of your cameras and the app you're using.

Provided you have a static IP Address configured with your service, (to ensure that you are provided with the same public IP each time your service drops or is restarted, etc), specific settings required in your camera configurations may need to be directed to the manufacturer.

Tatsuga

Thank you Delta Squad

I am just wondering when i setting in the mobile app. which port do i use. the http port 80 or the signal port or media port or mobile port. i read the instruction many time but it is pretty vague. 

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more