xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Phase 1 - Dual-Stack Enablement

From September 2016, the Telstra Wireless network will be enabled with IPv6 Dual-Stack on Telstra.wap and Telstra.Internet APNs. However, no devices will be released until later in the year. Phase 1 is primarily a network function ready announcement, to support our existing user base during the transition period. You may manually configure your device to connect to the Telstra Wireless network using IPv6 by configuring your device with the following:

Non-Mobile device:

Dual-Stack

APN name: telstra.internetDS (This is a string – it is only so you can identify this is IPv6 enabled)

APN: telstra.internet

APN type: default

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

Mobile device:

After configuration, select the ‘telstra.wapv6’ APN not any others

APN name: telstra.wapv6 (This is a string – it is only so you can identify this is IPv6 enabled)

APN: telstra.wap

APN type: default,supl

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6 (you can set this to IPv6 only as well)

APN name: telstra.internet

APN type: dun

APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

Please note, if you have a BYOD that is configured with Dual-Stack already, you may already be receiving an IPv6 address. This is not a network issue – it is part of the IPv6 enablement process. If you have any device issues upon the introduction of IPv6 address on your device, please check your device settings and drivers with the manufacturer.

Telstra recommends the above procedure to be performed only by advanced users. If you are uncertain about the above procedures, you should not proceed. An automated update will be deployed by Telstra to supported devices in the future.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
allyford
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Phase 1 - Dual-Stack Enablement

Has anyone in Newcastle NSW got this working on their post paid phones at all? I really feel like I've followed the instructions in adding a new APN with IPv4/IPv6 enabled but I'm just not being assigned an IPv6 address on my samsung s5. I've tried switching my phone off for a while and back on and nothing seems to do it. Can anyone from Telstra confirm that this is enabled in Newcastle NSW? Thanks!!
xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Please send an email with your mobile number to ipv6wirelessdeployment@team.telstra.com and we will have another look.

gsiemon

Is this supposed to be working on iPhones on iOS 10?  I think I have the latest Carrier Settings (25.1) but websites like ipv6-test.com still say I don't have an IPV6 address.  Is this still being rolled out or should it be working everywhere by now?

I've used an app by Hurrican Electric to look at the IP Addresses assigned to the PDP_IP1 (Cellular Data) and it has two IPV6 Addresses with a prefix of 2001:8004:1a00:89bf/64.  As far as I can tell this belongs to Telstra (See below).  It looks like I have an IPv6 addres but traffic isn't making it out of the network.

% [whois.apnic.net]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

% Information related to '2001:8000::/20'

inet6num:       2001:8000::/20
netname:        TELSTRAINTERNET41-AU-20041202
descr:          Telstra Internet
descr:          Locked Bag 5744
descr:          Canberra
descr:          ACT 2601
admin-c:        TIAR-AP
tech-c:         TIAR-AP
remarks:        -----
remarks:        Telstra Networks IPv6 assignment.
remarks:        All reports regarding SPAM or security breaches
remarks:        should be addressed to abuse@telstra.net
remarks:        ------
mnt-by:         APNIC-HM
mnt-lower:      MAINT-AU-TIAR-AP
mnt-irt:        IRT-TELSTRA-AU
changed:        hm-changed@apnic.net 20041202
changed:        hm-changed@apnic.net 20041203
source:         APNIC

irt:            IRT-TELSTRA-AU
address:        Telstra Internet
e-mail:         IRT@team.telstra.com
abuse-mailbox:  IRT@team.telstra.com
admin-c:        TIAR-AP
tech-c:         TIAR-AP
auth:           # Filtered
mnt-by:         MAINT-AU-TIAR-AP
changed:        IRT@team.telstra.com 20101117

person:         Telstra Internet Address Registry
address:        Telstra Internet
address:        Locked Bag 5744
address:        Canberra
address:        ACT 2601
phone:          +61 3 9815 5923
e-mail:         addressing@telstra.net
nic-hdl:        TIAR-AP
remarks:        Telstra Internet Address Registry Role Object
mnt-by:         MAINT-AU-TIAR-AP
changed:        nobody@aunic.net 19951128
changed:        aunic-transfer@apnic.net 20010523
changed:        aunic-transfer@apnic.net 20020115
changed:        Kushnil@apnic.net 20020813
changed:        hm-changed@apnic.net 20050310
xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi there

Thanks for your enquiry. At the moment IPv6 does not work on iPhones on IOS10. It will be supported however in the near future.

The IPv6 address you are seeing is actually part of the VoLTE solution. VoLTE uses a special APN that is using IPv6 only. For regular internet traffic, a modification to the standard telstra.wap APN will need to be made on the device to enable IPv6. We recommend to all our customers to not do this manually on IOS, and wait for the official carrier update for Apple devices for IPv6 enablement.

We will provide a further announcement when this will be made available to our Apple customers after testing is completed. Thank-you for your patience!

AndrewSYD

Is there a reason for going 'dual stack' as I understand the aim is to get to IPv6 only with 646XLAT later this year?

xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

AndrewSYD, thanks for your question.

Going Dual-Stack is a step in our deployment to get to Single-Stack. We must cater for all of our customers while ensuring we are also simplifying the network to reduce complexity. This is why we will be able to handle both 'legacy' devices on IPv4 only, and new devices on IPv6 only in the single APN. We are also aware that some customers like to BYO, and must also cater for these customers in our network.

James_TR

Hi,

Is there a timeline on when this will be available on iOS 10? Looks like it's still not available on profile version 27.0.

AdamH2
Level 4: Private Eye

Should this be working for Windows 10 Mobile (Lumia 950 - from Telstra) ?

The FAQ specifically calls out Windows Phone 8.1 BYOD devices as not supported, but my device is not one of these.

My device works happily on dual stack ipv4/ipv6 on my home wifi network & internet connection.

xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Try it now on an iPad with 10.2 and Carrier Build 27.1.

Merry Christmas!

xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

This is specifically for a mobile connection only not a home wifi connection.

It could work on any device theoretically if you can modify the APN to use dual-stack.

AdamH2
Level 4: Private Eye

@xevious wrote:

This is specifically for a mobile connection only not a home wifi connection.

It could work on any device theoretically if you can modify the APN to use dual-stack.

1. Yes aware this is mobile only. I was just pointing out that the device works on my non-Telstra IPV6 enabled home network...

2. "could work on any device theoretically".  This is a bit of a non-answer... I'm asking about a specific device, purchased from Telstra.  Should this be working without the manual APN change, or do I need to manually change it?

In both cases I don't get an IPV6 address as far as I can tell. What else can we do debug?

Diosbejgli

I just got the 27.1 carrier update on iOS 10.12.1 on iPhone 7 but still no IPv6. I've checked with HE Network Tools and no IPv6 address assigned to PDP_IP0, only to PDP_IP3 which I believe is 4G Voice, as I cannot do any IPv6 based pings.

Is this expected? What needs to be done to enable IPv6? If it's not in this carrier update, which one will have it and when can we expect it?

Widgit

Hi,

I have check the current carrier setting my both an iPhone 5s and 6s. Ver. 27.1

But still no IPv6 address.

Lachlan

xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi

Unfortunately IPv6 is only available on iPads for the moment in the form of Dual-Stack. iPhone IPv6 Single-Stack support will come later in the year. Thanks again for your continued support with our IPv6 launch. I will post more information here as it comes.

nlenevez

Should this be working on the new Nighthawk M1 router?

It always shows no IPv6 address on the dashboard

xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You may need to configure it in the APN profiles. just set it to request for IPv4/IPv6 for the telstra.internet APN.
xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We wish to advise that the Telstra Wireless network will disable DNS64 temporarily for 1 month on the Telstra.wap APN. This is to facilitate preparation of a system we are upgrading to support IPv6 Single-Stack in the very near future. This unfortunately means our IPv6 Single-Stack power users will not be able to reach IPv4 destinations.

If you are impacted, please change your configuration to IPv4/v6 or IPv4 only as Dual-Stack and IPv4 Single-Stack will be unaffected. We expect this issue to be resolved by the end of April 2017. We have launched and supported Dual-Stack since September 2016.

Thank-You for your understanding.

cmcqueen

Now that we've reached the end of April, what is the status of IPv6 single-stack?

cmcqueen

Now that we're into June, what is the status of IPv6 single-stack?

I just tested it (Moto G4, prepaid), and with IPv6 single-stack my phone didn't get a CLAT IPv4 address. IPv6 sites worked but not IPv4-only sites. IPv4 sites got a DNS look-up failure. (Dual stack seems to be working really well.)

Diosbejgli

What about iPhones? On iPhone 7 with the latest iOS 10.3.2, I still don't have IPv6 at all, not even dual-stack. When is it going to be enabled?

xevious
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We are working as fast as we can to enable IPv6 on more devices in the near future. The delays for Single-Stack have been due to the complexity of enabling IPv6 only in the network, and we are well on the way to fully resolve outstanding items shortly. Unfortunately we cannot share exact availability of IPv6 on iPhones, but Dual-Stack is definitely enabled on the Wireless Network for telstra.wap and telstra.internet today.

As a FYI, Telstra has actually been running IPv6 Single-Stack for VoLTE since the start.

Diosbejgli

How do I enable dual-stack on iPhone? I use the latest iOS with the latest Carrier Profile settings but I still only get IPv4.

shaun198725
Level 2: Rookie

I have a HTC desire 610 and can't change the IPv4 it comes up blanked out there's no way to change it!
Shaun Zimmaro
FABSTER

Fabian Dyer

My Telstra

View and activate your international roaming status, and purchase international Data Packs with the My Telstra app.

Find out more