Fleming
Telstra Products & Services Team

How to: Configure Telstra Mail on Windows (Live) Mail client

Answered

I have seen a few people having issues with configuring these two clients, so I am posting instructions below.

The below assumes you are setting up the email client with your account for the first time.

If you have migrated from Microsoft or the old Telstra email service, then you may instead wish to alter your existing profile. You can use the details below to configure your client, or refer to the following wiki page which contains details for manual configuration:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail/recommended-email-settings-for-telstr...

How to configure Telstra Mail on the Windows Mail client on Windows 10.

1) Load the application. Click Accounts on the left side.

2) On the right side, press "Add Account"

3) On the pop up screen select "Advanced setup"

4) Select "Internet email" from the two options

5) Fill in the fields.

• Account name can be whatever you would like.
  • Your nanme, pretty straight forward.
  • Incoming email server enter: imap.telstra.com
  • Account Type, select: IMAP4
  • Email Address: Enter your @bigpond or @telstra address here
  • Username: Enter your email address here
  • Password: Enter your password.
  • Outgoing mail server, enter: smtp.telstra.com
  • Leave all the tick boxes ticked at the bottom of the screen.

6) Press "Sign In".

Your Windows Mail client is now setup.

You may have to press the refresh button to download mail, which can also take some time if you have a lot of messages so be patient.

To refresh:

1) Click Inbox on the left side under your account.

2) Top of the screen, towards the middle is a circular refresh icon (next to the spyglass). Press this.

How to configure Telstra Mail on Windows Live Email (2012 edition)

Load the Windows Live program

1) On the top of the screen, go to Accounts, then press the "Email" button in the ribbon.
2) Enter your Email address and Password to the appropriate fields. Also enter a display name (can be whatever you want)
3) Press the "Manually configure server settings" tick box.
4) In the "Server Type" field select "IMAP".
5) In the "Server address" field type in: imap.telstra.com
6) Put a tick in the box for "Requires a secure connection (SSL)"
7) In the port field make sure the value reads "993"
😎 In the "Authenticate using" drop down, select "Clear Text".
9) In the "Logon user name" type in your full email address
10) In the Outgoing Server Information area, in the "Server address" box type in: smtp.telstra.com
11) Put a tick in the box for "Requires a secure connection (SSL)"
12) In the "port" field type in: 465
13) Put a tick in the box for "Requires authentication"

14) Press Ok to complete.

Your folders should now start to populate.

I have tested both of the above methods and confirmed they are working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennL
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: How to: Configure Telstra Mail on Windows (Live) Mail client

Great guide.

Don't forget you can use Windows Mail client on Windows 10 to receive your Telstra calendar also!

Set up a new iCloud account but change the calendar (CalDAV) address to calendar.telstra.com.

Sadly contacts will not sync, but you can always try changing the Contacts (CardDAV) section to contacts.telstra.com

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
GlennL
Accepted Solution

Great guide.

Don't forget you can use Windows Mail client on Windows 10 to receive your Telstra calendar also!

Set up a new iCloud account but change the calendar (CalDAV) address to calendar.telstra.com.

Sadly contacts will not sync, but you can always try changing the Contacts (CardDAV) section to contacts.telstra.com

View solution in original post

MangDumeng
Level 9: Captain

got a customer awhile ago

accessed his computer

used this method

working

but problem is client downloaded ALL EMAILS 

downloaded EMAILS dated back 2013

how can we prevent this from happening?

MangDumeng

by the way

i just updated the settings in his windows live client

GlennL

You can remove the emails from the server at email.telstra.com

If you want the mail to stay on the server then you have to let the client download all the emails.
MangDumeng

thanks for the update!

Beatc
Level 1: Cadet

Really? You say the folders will populate ... Mine do as well,

But will it send with these settings?

My test messages get stuck in the Outbox

Any suggestions?

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Beatc, 

What error message are you getting when trying to send?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PVD

Will these instructions work with Windows Live Mail 2012 on Windows 10 for existing bigpond.com e-mail accounts?

Please note that I do not have and do not want an MS account. I don't use and don't want to use the Windows Mail app supplied with Windows 10 (because it doesn't properly support folders). I don't use and don't want to use anything to related to outlook.com within my multi-device device home network mix of Win10 and Win 7 PCs/laptops/tablets along with a Win XP machine for some legacy activity). My mobile phones are Symbian and NOT Apple/Android or Windows and they work just fine with the existing bigpond.com email as does my current Live Mail client. I have no need to share info using cloud services and don't use cloud based services in any form.

At this stage, only have warning that change will happen but haven't received date of change notices on any of the multiple bigpond.com e-mail accounts as yet. Any advice about potential impact of new Telstra Mail system on my systems would be greatly apprecaited.

Fleming

The above steps will work on any version of Windows, so yes.

However the above steps are for setting up a new profile.

If you have an existing profile, then you need to go into the options  of the profile and change the server settings. You can refer to the steps above start from Step 4 and alter the server settings using the values in bold.

It should work.

PVD

Thanks...I was aware of need to update existing profiles with new server settings. Concern was more about new system actually communicating if outlook.com was not involved at client end in Win 10. Info elsewhere on Telstra support pages suggests that there is an update wizard for Live Mail 2012 but that Win10 is not supported.
lmstearn
Level 6: Bloodhound

Thanks for the guide.

Questions from another WLM Luddite- as it is convenient for other (non Telstra) email accounts:

Should the current Bigpond email accounts be nuked before setting up the new Telstra acoounts?

The poster above with all the emails from 2013:- all my emails are deleted or marked as read:- that definitely won't happen?

Thanks again,

Laurie

Crowd Support? What about support for the masses?
lmstearn

Think I got confused with the OP title- actually using the older Windows Essentials Windows Live Mail here so it's the same as PVD above. @PVD: D\Have you got yours working?

One issue is the server can only be set up as IMAP, not IMAP4. The other is that "downloading the folders" fails, so the account is currently non-functional. Is it okay just to continue with the old Bigpond Mail.

BTW, in Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0, none of the markup buttons seem to work in these posts, as neither does copy/paste.

Thanks for reading!

lmstearn

Hmmm, missed the 2nd part of the OP- well now there's this: (BBCcode working now!)

Attempted to download folders, but straight away this:

Your IMAP command could not be sent to the server, due to non-network errors. This could, for example, indicate a lack of memory on your system.

Spoiler
Configuration:
   Account: Telstra Email
   Server: imap.telstra.com
   User name: XXXXXX
   Protocol: IMAP
   Port: 993
   Secure(SSL): 0
   Code: 800ccc0f

Followed directly by

Spoiler
Your account is temporarily locked. Contact customer support for password help.

Oh well, Something is barfed. 😛

Edit: The service is not available until October 11. That might explain it.

PVD

Imstearn...WLM2012 still working but not due for changeover to new Telstra Mail system until "within 48 hours of 26 Sep"...whatever that means. My email is set up as a POP3 system because I'm not interested in syncing with anything and prefer to b e responsible for keeping my own mail safe.  Telstra website implies that I can keep a POP3 system but may need to manually change settings within WLM2012...I can deal with that.

Don't entirely trust systems though and I will be downloading all mail from the server on 26 Sep and saving it to local directoriews and backing the whole lot up just in case.

More info after the 26 Sep....

mc07

l need help to move to the new telstra mail ...please.

Shellock
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi mc07,

The following link provides a lot of information regarding the migration to Telstra Mail.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PVD

Transition to new mail system was sort of OK...had to manually configure settings for POP use in each of the my three e-mail accounts in Windows Live Mail Client but that was expected.

What was not expected was getting two copies of all incoming mail for a couple of days...then problem just seemed to go away. More importantly, the instructions for manual configuration emphasise that the "outgoing server requires authentication" switch must be set to ON rather than the default OFF. Yeah, well turning it ON as instructed stops all outgoing mail no matter what. Turning this setting back to the default OFF allows eveything to work again.

Apart from the authentication thing, everything now appears to be working normally...says he confidently, while crossing his fingers and touching the wooden desk top as he types with the other hand...

lmstearn

Working here too- but there's more to do. 🙂

Have 2 accounts at Bigpond: The Webmail only seems to connect to the account based one. The other mail account is the well used username@bipond.com, but again these work fine in WLM.

The Telstra Mail account in WLM now has 2 folders for Deleted. One is "Deleted" and the other is "Deleted Items", and unfortunately we need both.

Windows 10 broke the WLM calendar synchronization so drawing a long bow with will Telstra make WLM calendars compatible and support import export etc. Also Telstra calendar only seems to support the current month.

Same with contacts- will there be an import of WLM contacts into Telstra contacts?

If Telstra/Bigpond can get their act together and employ some good programmers working on a decent mail client, we can then ditch WLM altogether with smiles all round. 🙂

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit