ashleycox
Level 4: Private Eye

Transition of an 'additional mailbox' that is also an Outlook.com primary alias

Answered

Hello,

My Telstra email address (@bigpond.com) is an 'additional mailbox' to a primary Telstra account. I also use it as the primary alias for an EASI (Email as Sign In) Microsoft Account (Outlook.com).

Accordingly, I have two questions regarding the transition to Telstra Mail:

1. How will additional mailboxes be migrated to Telstra Mail?

2. Alternatively, if I closed my Telstra additional mailbox, how could I remove it as the primary alias from my Outlook.com account (and therefore sever the ties between my Outlook.com and Telstra accounts)?

Regarding question 2, is not a straightforward process of changing the Microsoft Account primary alias. Presumably due to the original Telstra migration to Outlook.com (and the subsequent restriction on creating Bigpond EASI accounts on Outlook.com), Bigpond addresses that were already primary aliases for Microsoft Accounts currently cannot be removed. This is the subject of a separate, unresolved query here: BigPond email address that is already a Microsoft Account. A similar question is also posed here: Bigpond Migration to Outlook.com.

Thanks and regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ashleycox
Accepted Solution

Re: Transition of an 'additional mailbox' that is also an Outlook.com primary alias

Some good new perhaps? My BigPond additional mailbox was yesterday upgraded to Telstra Mail. Interestingly (and I can’t help but think in more than a coincidence), my Outlook.com account (which was locked to my BigPond address as a primary alias) was also upgraded to the new Office 365-based version.

I once again attempted to change my Microsoft primary alias from my BigPond EASI address to a Microsoft address – it worked! I can’t be sure its positively linked to either of the account upgrades, but I had been suspicious as to why both had been delayed so long. It does give the impression that there was actually some Microsoft-Telstra collaboration behind the scenes.

My Microsoft and Telstra accounts are now de-linked, and as far as I can tell, the upgrades were seamless. I have retained my BigPond email as an alias and ‘connected account’ in Outlook.com, and it still seems to be happily polling to receive new email (using the new Telstra Mail POP3 settings).

My pleasure at this development (almost) overrides my frustration from chasing this for 3½ years.

(With great hesitation) - thank you Telstra???

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Tempo58
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Transition of an 'additional mailbox' that is also an Outlook.com primary alias

Why hasn't anyone responded to this post?  This is rapidly becoming a major issue and the silence is deafening!

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tempo85,

As the Email as Sign In is a Microsoft initiative, I am not sure how much help we will be able to be, and had hoped the community would be in a better place to assist you.

The only thing I have been able to find that looks like it is what you are attempting to achieve can be found here: http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/my-account/microsoft-account/change-email-sign-in-for-microsoft-accoun... - but I am assuming you have done this already before posting here. If not, I suggest giving it a try.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Tempo58

@Big_Dan wrote:

Hi Tempo85,

As the Email as Sign In is a Microsoft initiative, I am not sure how much help we will be able to be, and had hoped the community would be in a better place to assist you.

The only thing I have been able to find that looks like it is what you are attempting to achieve can be found here: http://support.xbox.com/en-AU/my-account/microsoft-account/change-email-sign-in-for-microsoft-accoun... - but I am assuming you have done this already before posting here. If not, I suggest giving it a try.

Hi Dan, I would have expected that if Bigpond would allow (or cancel the Reserved Domain restriction) Bigpond domain log ins, then we would be able to edit the existing connections until such time as we could replace the ID with a new one.  The other very big issue is the new Webmail is IMAP only, and, ironically pointed to Microsoft servers.  Adding a pop option or discussing the issue with MS so as to co-ordinate the migration, might have been a better option.  I am now busily running around setting email forwarding to keep people syncronising efficiently.  MS also needs to allow IMAP mail connections to Outlook.com so users can remove then re-add their Bigpond accounts.  All in all these issues were raised 3 years ago but fell on deaf ears.  My personal Bigpond account has been a Microsoft account for nearly 10 years, since the inception of the facility, but I have not been migrated and probably won't be due to my vociferous objections on the issue.  Again, I strongly beleive that the migration should be put on hold until we can work it out, otherwise you are going to alienate a massive amount of people that have been utilising the central syncronising capabilities of Outlook.com.

Tried to remove Bigpond addresses after creating aliases, but, Microsoft won't let you as they are restricted by the agreements with Telstra/Bigpond.

Frustrating!

Ian

Tempo58

Please note, all new Bigpond addresses automatically became MS accounts after the restriction was imposed, so Bigpond are also partly to blame.
Tempo58

Hi Dan, can someone escalate this to a higher level as I have many clients in this situation. Even if it is to just allow people to change their Primary MS account (@Bigpond.com) to an Outlook.com alias.
Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tempo85,

Unfortunately this is not something we can arrange through this channel, as we will need details we cannot request on a public forum.

I suggest raising a Case with Technical Support to get this investigated. Have you attempted this? If so, were you given a reference number I can take a look at? If not, can you please call 133 933 to get this investigated?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Tempo58

Tried the 133 number on behalf of clients and all I got from the support people was that they did not understand the issue, so they advised my clients to Delete their Microsoft accounts.  Not very helpful at all.  Asked them to escalate the issue as well but they could not see it as a BigPond issue.  Made me somewhat angry, which is why I turned to the forums in the hope that someone "local" might push this issue.  I need to discuss this with people at a level of policy not technical support.

Cannot change the MS profile to another alias as the primary (BigPond) account can only be altered by BigPond.

I am sure you can see the frustration in this.

Ian T

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Given the nature of the problem the only suggestion I can make would be to raise an escalated case, and get a case manager assigned. Instructions for how to achieve this can be found here: What Reference Numbers can I obtain from Telstra?

Tempo58

Not sure if I have the energy to go through trhe language barrier issues again.  And, being fair to the suppoirt team, they are trying to do their job, but when I ask for a higher level escalation they won't do it as they believe they can resolve the issue themselves, which they cannot.

I will try once more, and if this does not work then I will write a letter to the CEO as I have done on behalf of clients before.  David Thodey's office was good at this, I just hope the new CEO is just as obliging.

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Keep us posted Ian, apologies we've not been able to resolve this for you.

ashleycox
Accepted Solution

Some good new perhaps? My BigPond additional mailbox was yesterday upgraded to Telstra Mail. Interestingly (and I can’t help but think in more than a coincidence), my Outlook.com account (which was locked to my BigPond address as a primary alias) was also upgraded to the new Office 365-based version.

I once again attempted to change my Microsoft primary alias from my BigPond EASI address to a Microsoft address – it worked! I can’t be sure its positively linked to either of the account upgrades, but I had been suspicious as to why both had been delayed so long. It does give the impression that there was actually some Microsoft-Telstra collaboration behind the scenes.

My Microsoft and Telstra accounts are now de-linked, and as far as I can tell, the upgrades were seamless. I have retained my BigPond email as an alias and ‘connected account’ in Outlook.com, and it still seems to be happily polling to receive new email (using the new Telstra Mail POP3 settings).

My pleasure at this development (almost) overrides my frustration from chasing this for 3½ years.

(With great hesitation) - thank you Telstra???

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit