CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
the_engineer
Level 2: Rookie

Credit checking - signing up to a contract

Answered

hello. i hope this is the right forum to post this in. if not, my apologies.

I currently have a 'type 9' debt agreement that i volunteered for.

i also just recieved my credit report and it said due to this i am classified as 'bankrupt' but this is not the official case according to my agency, fox symes, because i have not actually filed for bankruptcy.

am i able to still transfer my vodafone numbers to telstra and sign up on a contract? 

my bill payment history with vodafone for the past 5 years has been flawless as well.

thanks for your help.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Credit checking - signing up to a contract

I obviously can't comment on what Telstra does and doesn't look at when offering credit to potential customers.

However in all honesty I would think that with a Part 9 (which is one step away from bankruptcy) they would be unlikely to approve you for a mobile service. At best they could put an application in and see what happens.

Keep in mind even though Part 9 isn't called bankruptcy you are forever listed on the Personal Insolvency database and it stays on your credit file for 7 years.

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi the_engineer,

I can confirm that part of Telstra's Credit Check does include a check through Veda Advantage and the results of this check can result in your application being declined.

However this information is used in conjuction with the information that you provide us, so there isn't a hard and fast answer as to whether or not you'd be able to port in your number with the Part 9 until you lodge an application with us.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

From what I can gather, a Part 9 Debt Agreement is an Act of Bankruptcy which is why it's listed on your Credit File. I would rate your chances of getting a line of Credit from Telstra for a Mobile Service as low, however Telstra are the only ones who can tell you (when you go to transfer your services or connect a new service).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Accepted Solution

I obviously can't comment on what Telstra does and doesn't look at when offering credit to potential customers.

However in all honesty I would think that with a Part 9 (which is one step away from bankruptcy) they would be unlikely to approve you for a mobile service. At best they could put an application in and see what happens.

Keep in mind even though Part 9 isn't called bankruptcy you are forever listed on the Personal Insolvency database and it stays on your credit file for 7 years.

If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi the_engineer,

I can confirm that part of Telstra's Credit Check does include a check through Veda Advantage and the results of this check can result in your application being declined.

However this information is used in conjuction with the information that you provide us, so there isn't a hard and fast answer as to whether or not you'd be able to port in your number with the Part 9 until you lodge an application with us.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Ben_F
Accepted Solution

From what I can gather, a Part 9 Debt Agreement is an Act of Bankruptcy which is why it's listed on your Credit File. I would rate your chances of getting a line of Credit from Telstra for a Mobile Service as low, however Telstra are the only ones who can tell you (when you go to transfer your services or connect a new service).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

the_engineer

hi everyone

thanks for the responses.

so i guess the best way around this is just to make an application, and go from there.

i'll give this a shot, hoping my history in successfull bill payments with VHA will work to my favour.

Thank You!

the_engineer

Hello

I put through an application and it was not approved. Is there a way i can escalate this, or have a chat with someone - or would this be a final decision?

Thanks

Ben_F

It depends on the reason. You can ask the sales consultant to escalate the issue to the credit assessment review team, but I don't know how it works with mobility.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

the_engineer

Hello Ben,

I signed up online, so there was no sales consultant to deal with.

I received a contact number, however i got transferred to an overseas call centre and they transferred me x3 times which took 15 mins - so i hung up on the 3rd time in frustration.

Ben_F

Perhaps LiveChat can help, they can submit another application and tell you why it failed on the spot Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

the_engineer

Unfortunately livechat was not able to help. I'm suprised Telstra don't have an Australian contact for credit checks and the ability to speak to someone....

dianehughes2000

Could your Case Manager at Fox Symes help perhaps? You need to get your information to a level above the usual customer service reps who can only work within their parameters.

Good luck! 

the_engineer

I have messaged my Case Manager to ask for feedback/advice.

The goal really is just to transfer my VHA number (which has been offered a full cancellation waiver) to port to a network offering 4G signals. Hopefully my succesfull bill payment history with VHA over the 7 odd years can help.

Really hoping if a Telstra rep on here can help since i'm having difficulty reaching someone appropriate over the phone.

Thank You.

Have you just considered porting to Telstra Pre-Paid? If you don't want a new phone they are fantastic value.

the_engineer

Yes i have considered it only to dismiss it as an option. The purpose of me trying to transfer would be to obtain 4G signal and data speeds, Vodafone currently provide me below average 3G speeds and after an investigation, have offered to pay out my contract.

If i switch to prepaid, even if 4G is availble, it would mean i have to outlay about $500 to purchase a new handset, which defeats the purpose of the reason i took my debt consolodation agreement. Smiley Happy

4G is available to prepaid customers, if your handset supports it. However if you are after a $0/subsidised handset, this obviously isn't available.

Unfortunately that may be your only option as unfortunately being listed on the insolvency database means that it's a very high risk for the provider that you won't pay your bills on time. Regardless of whether it's bankruptcy or called something else.

Wish you all the best.

tash4
Level 1: Cadet

I too went with fox symes. An when we finished paying consolidation amount , I got a release form saying that yes I have payed the amour an bla bla. Anyways didn't mean a thing it screwed our family up Big time we couldn't borrow or credit card or phone contract. It has been 7 yrs since being released an we still unable to get a loan but however I did manage to get a contract through Telstra I really hate to say this but foxsymes really screw ur name up as it did to us Smiley Sad I know they helped an consolidated bills but never again..... An to topit off I never had debt collection agency after us but I was told by the people at ford motor group that never go with foxsymes agaain as they do declare u bank rupsy so u can't borrow or anything for during time u pay it off an 7 yrs afterwards. I hope this helps.
TarunG

Hi, I have recently moved from UK to Australia in Aug'17, hold a PR as well. I don't have any bad credit, hold a reputable position in an company and working as a General Manager. I had submitted an application for Loan, Lease and all got approved. However, when i went to Telestra and Vodafone to obtain a phone contract, they said my credit check failed. This is shock for me. I have tried speaking to phone, chat support but no one is able to guide or help me with the right information.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TarunG

Welcome to Australia, and welcome to Crowd Support.

This is weird, if you are only new to the country but your Credit Assessment has failed with two Telecommunication companies. 

In this scenario, I would recommend speaking with our 24x7 Live Chat team,  http://tel.st/49kl and requesting an escalation be lodged with our PACC (Post Application Credit Checking Team), so this can be investigated fully. 

Kind Regards

Bjoern

I wouldn't call it weird. I would call it common with Telstra. We got exactly the same problem. Unfortunately, we have Telstra Velocity which means that we could only find one different provider for our broadband (at a significant higher cost). But, Telstra means so much hassle just to sign up. So, it is not an option anymore and it will never be again!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit