veganyogi
Level 3: Gumshoe

can i turn off the wi fi with with a telstra gateway max modem?

hi

is there a way to turn off the wi fi with a telstra gateway max modem so that we're only using the ethernet cables to connect our computers to the modem? i've read in another post on crowd support that it's possible with an eco mode button on the telstra t gateway model but i can't find anywhere where it says it's possible or not with a telstra gateway max modem.

thanks for any replies in advance.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
65 REPLIES 65
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: can i turn off the wi fi with with a telstra gateway max modem?

You can do it however you will need to do it via the control panel.

Try:

http://10.0.0.138 > Wi-Fi > Unselect the tick box under Wi-Fi Radio Enabled 

Turn Wifi Off

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

veganyogi

thank you so much for your reply. i REALLY appreciate you taking the time to tell me this.

the problem is that i don't have the telstra gateway max or the telstra t gateway yet. i'm just about to become a customer and am trying to figure out which modem to get. so i can't really try that number you gave me but it looks like it works from your picture below.

yesterday i was asking this question to a sales person at telstra and they said that they asked their technical assistance team and that person said that it wasn't possible. as i know that i can't always trust what a sales person tells me (although she was lovely to speak with), i thought i'd ask here. i really appreciate that you showed me the picture of how to do it.

thanks again and bye for now

leesa

drivingmecrazy
Level 1: Cadet

I bought a Acoustimeter to measrue the EMR out of the box.

This Telstra Max modem puts out peak radiation with WIFI turned on or off on the panel. Not happy Telstra. Why would you do this.

You can't turn it off from the software 10.0.0.138

So now got to buy another Modem after spending $200+ on this one.

I measured ours with the wifi off and got very very slight readings but very significantly lower then the standard readings were.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

john501
Level 2: Rookie

I was really disappointed to also find that after disabling both 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi radios in the web interface control panel it still emits the same amount of radiation when measured with a EMR meter as leaving them on!

This is very misleading Telstra! Many customers will think that they have successfully eliminated all electro-magnetic radiation when in fact they have not. Some may even feel that it is safe leave on next to bed etc.

Please issue a fix for this.

john501

I got the exact same results. No difference in EMR levels with Wireless radios turned on or off. This functionality is grossly misleading as it tricks people without the ability to measure levels into believing wireless functionality has been turned off when in fact it hasn't.
veganyogi

i'd believe it. that would be right. they're either incompentent and haven't checked it themselves or they don't and don't care about their customers.  either way, they sucks so bad but they are not accountable for their actions unfortunately so i doubt if anything will change. do you mind if i ask you what kind of device you use to meausre the radiation output from the modem?

thanks for your time in advance

veganyogi

do you mind if i ask you what brand of modem/router you ended up settling with? i want to buy a different one too so i know we don't have radiation output in our house.

thanks for your time in advance.

GZed

Cable Internet modems cannot be purchased from anywhere other than the provider themselves.  The modems are specially made for them and custromised for their networks. 

It's not like ADSL,  where you can just go and buy yourself a modem from a computer store.

GZed

I'm wondering if this problem has something to do with the new Telstra Air feature.  This is a very controversial feature that allows other people to connect to your modem when they are near your cable modem. 

When connected to Telstra Air they use their own data from their own data allocated - not yours.  But they are still using your Internet.

The problem I see with this feature is:

1. Telstra might be forcing people to leave the Telstra Air part of the Wi-Fi enabled invisibly, even when the customers "normal" Wi-Fi is OFF.   We need some official statement from Telstra to confirm or deny this.

2. Even though Telstra Air users are using their own data, they are still sucking performance from your modem. 

e.g. If someone connects to your modem via Telstra Air and starts uploading a large file, your internet performance will be significantly reduced.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

WiFi can be disabled on all of the BigPond modems. How To Troubleshoot WiFi contains links for each of the BigPond modems and provides the steps on how to access the WiFi settings page for our modems.  You will see there is an option to enable or disable the WiFi network on the same page that you set the Wi-Fi channel and security keys. If you have a Gateway Max, you will need to repeat this for the 2.4 Ghz & 5 Ghz networks.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Another thing to watch out for is if you have Telstra Air activated on the service it may still be broadcasting the Telstra Air and FON networks even with the primary turned off. I have found that with our newer max as we had the standard gateway and no air activated on it before.
Helpful Links

fassbinder
Level 5: Eagle Eye

> I bought a Acoustimeter to measrue the EMR out of the box.

> This Telstra Max modem puts out peak radiation with WIFI turned on or off on the panel. Not happy Telstra.

That is extremely helpful. Thanks. I have just signed up with Telstra, and was about to open the Telstra Gateway Max box they sent me ... and will now either send it back to them, or sell it on ebay. I feel sorry for the people who buy it, because I certainly would not be wanting to nuke the brains of my kids at home ... especially when it is totally unnecessary to do so when you can use an ethernet connection that is faster and more stable anyway.

I wonder whether Telstra is behaving in a professionally negligent fashion - it will just be a matter of time until they get sued by someone who believes they got a brain tumour from beinf needlessly radiated by a Telstra product ... maybe just 1m from their head. Of course, Telstra could avoid this by either providing non wi-fi routers, or providing equipment that actually lets you swutch it off.

fassbinder
Level 5: Eagle Eye

The Telstra Netgear Cable Home Network Gateway Modem (CG3100D) DOES let one switch off all the wi-fi crap ... and I have checked it with a radiation meter ... though I might have ripped out some if its innards too (can't quite remember, as it was about 2 years ago). Either way, this little baby is neutered ... and emits no radiation now.  I would still prefer Telstra to offer  a Cable Modem that has no wi-fi for those who just don't want it in their home.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Telstra relies on the advice of a number of international and national health authorities including the World Health Organisation (WHO) for overall assessments of health and safety impacts. You can see more information about EME in the following link: https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/eme

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

sunshine1707

Hi - just received my Telstra T Gateway modem - have set up and have the blue Eco light on. Measured with an acoustimeter and the reading is about the same if you were to stand about 500m from a phone tower! 

I have moved to an area where they have no cable service so had to downgrade to adsl2.  My previous modem was good because i can really switch off wifi and EMR reading is zilch. So - i am very disappointed with having to now go to a slower connection and be exposed to high level of EMR! I have young children hence the choice of going from wireless to wired. 

Telstra better not be charging me for this unit - regardless I am returning it! 

May I ask what type of modem you bought to replace this modem ?

thank you

NWO_Die_By_Wifi

This thread has not helped me whatsoever. So I will ask the question again: How does one turn of the wireless from this highly toxic Technicolor Telstra Gateway Max Modem TG799vac; that my sister has sitting next to her bed, which is no doubt responsible for her health problems, and unexpected sudden death of our cat? I have also disabled all wifi, yet I am still receiving extreme levels of RF radiation on my Acoustimeter AM-10. If the radiation cannot be controlled or maintained, then what modem can we buy to replace it that does not emit radiation once wifi is turned off?

If it's impossible to replace this toxic modem for a better one, then I would like to say goodbye to Telstra, you will never receive our business ever again. Why not have a simple switch off wifi button, either on the device, or on the computer, or even a way of switching it off from Telstra's end? Smells like another conspiracy to me - from another giant corporation, hell bent on sending us their love and support through the airwaves.

If my sister cannot remedy a solution or change providers, I have protocols in place to try minimise my own personal exposure from her pollution coming through my bedroom walls. I have just ordered 48 feet of the best RF shielding fabric money can buy, to cover all 4 of my bedroom walls, called Swiss Shield Naturell, and I paid AUD $2292.75 to have it sent to me from Canada through eBay. Hopefully that should protect me, but for my sister and mum and dad - I am concerned for their health. If we cannot stop this modem from spewing out radiation, then I will be forced to buy other expensive products from America, such as placing the modem inside a Faraday cage. I have spent weeks researching methods of remediation, and the best products I can find can be found on an American website called 'LessEMF' where they sell several interesting looking products called a Signal Tamer, WaveCage and Router Guard. And this should roughly block out 95% of the radiation being emitted, which to me, would be a good start to mitigating this invisible threat.

So, I would just like to say, thank you very much Telstra for already forcing me to spend thousands of dollars to stop your pollution infiltrating my environment. Shame on you and your inferior technology!!!

SmithInOz

Same issue here, wifi disabled and emissions on the max are 52x higher than the old Telstra modem.
It looks to be dect despite the dect light being off
Telstra said on the NBN if I want a phone have to use their modem.

This is negligence, raising a complaint it's the only way to get this fixed.

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint
SmithInOz

Hi this post is misleading as it does not disable dect.

dect uses the wifi band and emits much higher signals.  So all the options to disable wifi, reduce the strength don't actually turn off wifi completely.

SmithInOz

please find a picture of the Telstra Gateway Max, please note that both Wifi lights are off as well as the DECT light.  Despite this the modem is emitting readings of 1,827 mW/m2.   Note: The meter was directly on the device so I could take a picture, as you would expect moving 1m away the emissions drop off to about 50 mW/m2.   Where the previous modems, Billion, Netgear the emissions were < 4 mW/m2 at 1m.

I personally have no idea if Wi-fi is good or bad, however Telstra send out SMS’s to my mobiles with FAQ’s and recommending to limit exposure, and my iPhone only measures 2 mW/m2, this is well under the above two readings from the modem, and it is completely unacceptable to have these transmissions in my house, especially without warning.

GatewayMax - Copy.JPG

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We have investigated the source of the radio emissions and can confirm that it is not being caused by Telstra Air but rather is a function of the DECT base station that is included as part of the normal function of this modem. We are working with the vendor on a solution for customers that are not using a DECT phone with this modem.

- Shelly

SmithInOz

Thankyou Shelly
sunshine1707

Hello - I have purchased a Netgear N300 ADSL modem which has 2 buttons you can press to turn wifi off  - and it does turn off! 

We have a wired network at home - I have had an electrician install data points where we plug in our laptops (and yes laptops are always plane moded). I think this would have been cheaper rather than buying the shielding. I did look into that as well.... and boy, they are expensive! 

You can always switch off the modem when not in use and definitely when you are all sleeping.

Don't forget too that it is not just the wifi modem that you need to look at - there's anything DECT (cordless phone, baby monitors), mobile phones, ipads (with their various antennas - don't forget the 4G, the wifi, the bluetooth may be on ALL together!). 

Also, if your shielding is not grounded, wouldn't that reflect the signals back to the other rooms away from you (in effect perhaps doubling the signal)

I am somewhat amazed that there is awareness on this issue. Smiley Happy I am not alone!

But the issue here is the Telstra modem that does not perform to the consumer's expection. I will be calling Telstra Billing to get credit for this modem that I do not use! 

Goodluck! 

XBuilder

hey Shellock

any further on this?

just received a letter forcing to upgrade my Motorol Surf  to Telstra Gwy Max, and guess what - unless this DECT/wifi issue is fully resolved, I'm prepared to  terminate my Bigpond cable contract

please urgently advise an alternative solution - don't want/dont need WiFi at all - allergic to it, no requirement for DECT either, need a plain cable modem w/out DECT and WiFi - which is exactly what I subscribed to in my original contact  - A CABLE CONNECTION

cheers

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 

For the cable version of the Telstra Gateway Max (Netgear C6300) the work around would be to ask for a modem swap and get the CG3100D-2 . These devices are Docsis3, but do not have the DECT ULE module in them. 

XBuilder

thanks

what's the escalation path to get  the CG3100D-2 instead of Gateway Max?

Just spent ~1hr on the phone with your cable 'rollout' people - they are non-technical and dont understand the issue

not impressed

XBuilder

BTW: Can WiFi transmitter be positevely disabled in the CG3100D-2 - ie no wiFi frequency emission what so ever?

XBuilder

as expected, the rollout team is claiming ignorance, they literally said "If you dont want Gateway Max - dont collect it, it will be sent back"  - what a cost effecitve way of doing things

but they still do not know how to fulfill the CG3100D-2 instead of Gateway Max

May I suggest we get someone who can resolve this between your Tech support and 'rollout' teams

cheers

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 

The WiFi can be disabled on the CG3100D-2.  Our Tech team should be able to help, they can be contacted on 133 933.

LindsayR1

This smells like a scheme to turn our modem routers into Telstra Air hotspots without asking our permission. I have had several calls to Telstra on this issue and no-one can or will deny it.  Anecdotally I am aware of friends who installed the new modem routers and then lost significant bandwidth until they spend 5 hours on the phone with Telstra trying to work out how to turn the wifi off. 

Why would you send out a modem router to take advantage of "New Cable" technology when an upgraded modem would be sufficient?

Telstra needs to be reminded we are customers not sub contracted service providers who aren't even aware we are providing the service.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LindsayR1,

Your permission is needed in order for Telstra Air to be activated on your modem.  YOu can find out more about joining Telstra Air here:

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/telstra-air/how-to-join

Once you have Telstra Air activated on your modem we do have safeguards in regards to your bandwidth. In order to protect the experience of our Home Broadband customer, Telstra Air hotspots are limited to a maximum bandwidth of 2MBps, per active user. The number of active users is limited to one for ADSL, and three concurrent users for Cable and NBN.

Hope this helps.

LindsayR1

Then why when I connected my the Gateway Max were Telstra Air Hotspots visible on my laptop that had never been visible before. I had not activated Telstra Air and I had not even activated the Gateway Max?

Also, if this is just about me being able to harness new cable technology, why does this unit come with WiFi at all?  Surely there there is no value to Telstra in providing me with a WiFi router that I either didn't need or already had, unless Telstra wants to use it?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If your previous Cable modem did not have Wi-Fi then it sounds like the new modem will allow you to take advantage of the new Cable network technology which is more than the Wi-Fi and Telstra Air. This change in technology allows for download speeds to increase to up to 100 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload when the speed boost is active. 

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/telstra-air/disconnect-or-cancel-telstra-air provides information on how to cancel Telstra Air if it is active on your service.

If you do not need the Wi-Fi connection, then you can disable this with the Wi-Fi button on the front of your modem.  This will also disable Telstra Air.

- Shelly

LindsayR1

Shellock

It is not the wifi router that will enable me to take advantage of the new cable technology, it is the cable modem. 

Why is Telstra forcing me to install a wifi router that I do not need and do not want?

I am told repeatedly by your support desk that my internet service will be disconnected if I don't activate the Gateway max modem router.

Why did the Telstra Air wifi connections appear on my laptop after turning on the Gateway Max? Even although I had not activated Telstra Air on my account or activated the Gateway Max.

BTW as far as I can tell the Gateway Max won't allow me to activate it if I turn its wifi off and make an ethernet connection to my own wifi router, so its not as simple as turning off the Gateway Max wifi as you suggest.

Cheers

Lindsay

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We do not currently provide any modems with the new Cable technology that doesn't include Wi-Fi as one of its features. As advised, you can disable the Wi-Fi and Telstra Air using the information that I previously provided. 

At this time, it is not possible to disable the DECT feature within the modem, but we are working with our vendors for a future fix.

- Shelly

SmithInOz

Will this fix extend to the FTTN modems? And when is the ETA.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi SmithInOz,

It is my understanding that we continue to work with our vendors, with no ETA at this stage.

In saying that I'm confident once we have a fix, we will advise further.

Jamie-99

Any update on this?

It's strange because in another thread - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Gateway-Max-wireless-radiation-EMR-is... - it was stated last year that a technican can disable the DECT functionaility, but the one that installed our modem couldn't find a way of doing so.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

This is not a standard process to disable the DECT as it also removes the phone functionality which means that this interim measure is not available for all customers. 

I have also responded to your post on that thread.

- Shelly

veganyogi

thanks for the tip on the  modem type sunshine 1707.  what radiation meter are you using to test to see if the radiation is in fact no longer being emitted? i'm currently looking at purchasing a radiation meter and the only one i can find in australia is an acoustimeter for $580 (incuding shipping). there's a cheaper version of it but i'm not impressed. just wondering if there's a cheaper but still decent meter i'm not aware of. thanks for your reply in advance. PS, i am also allgeric to wifi/cell phone radiation and lost my career because it made me so sick and basically destroyed my health 7 years ago. so you're not alone.

veganyogi

hi smithinoz

i was just wondering how you find that radiation meter that you're using? can i ask why you chose that one over the acoustimeter apart from the obvious cost savings? did you order that from the USA and have it sent to australia?

thanks so much for your time in advance.
leesa

hg3

Kenobi,

It is disingenuous to say that "Your permission is needed in order for Telstra Air to be activated on your modem."

The home wi-fi does not work unless you get it activated.  So it is not really a free choice if you want to continue the home wi-fi.

This was not in my contract.  I want to maintain my home wi-fi but I do not want the extra EM that the new Gateway Max is emitting. 

I think it is only a matter of time before someone starts a class action suit against Telstra on this issue.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi hg3, 

If you want to have Telstra Air disabled please log into your My Account  to disable this or call us on 132200.

-Chris

TotallyM

Hi Shelly,

Any update from your vendors on being able to disable DECT?

I would like to minimise the amount of EMR being generated in my home, near my children.  I'm waiting to find out what this fix is before installing the gateway max and migrating to NBN.  

If there is indeed a future fix to be able to turn the DECT off,  is it then also possible to have any incoming calls to my home phone number permanently redirected to my mobile phone. Is there a cost for this?

We only use wireless occasionally and turn our ADSL modem off when not in use.  I'm a little concerned that to have our home phone functioning we will need to have the gateway max on constantly, and from whats been stated in previous posts, emitting a high rate of EMR.

thank you,

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We are still working with the vendor to ensure that the fix is operational before being released to the customers. As this is still a work in progress, I am not yet able to advise of the time frame for when this will be pushed out to the modems.

A diversion can be set from the home phone to a mobile number of your choice and charges will apply. Depending on the plan or bundle that you have, calls to mobiles may be included but please contact Billing on 1800 834 273 to confirm.

- Shelly

rundllexe

Good afternoon - just wanted to see if there's an update on this issue? The FTTN rollout has just recently gone live in my area of Craigieburn but I'm holding off changing over until this issue is sorted (have long since abolished WiFi and other EMR sources within the house). Are you able to advise some indication of ETA?

Cheers,

rundllexe

Sky16

HI Shellock

I have a Telstra Gateway Max - connected to Cable. (as opposed to ADSL or NBN)

I too still have substantial EMR after Wifi is turned off. (it only goes to nothing when the modem is totally switched off)

I have spoken with Telstra Platinum technician who said that 'DECT was not on the configuration profile page for this type of modem'  so would not be the problem. Is that correct? 

Therefore i do not understand with the EMR is coming from. And my Telstra technician was at a loss too.

Can you or anyone provide any advice on turning off the EMR.

Or is this a fault of this modem that can be fixed by swapping it for another of the same model?

My Telstra Platinum technician  was looking for advice on who at Telstra could assist / what department or home tecnician to this can be further resolved. 

Thankyou

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sky16,

There is a DECT ULE chip in the Telstra Gateway Max (Cable version , CG6300) that is on even when the Wi-Fi is turn off.  Unfortunately this cannot be disabled.  

wimple

I just signed up for telstra cable broadband and got the gateway max 2 as well.

I noticed that the EMR from the device was massive. Compared to my old ADSL wifi modem it was orders of magnitude stronger in radio.

So I turned off telstra air.

Telstra air came back.

So I disabled it in the online telstra control panel. That was gone.

I used the button on the front and turned off wifi, but still the radio EMR was very strong. Stronger than other wifi routers, and this supposedly had radio switched off.

Then I found out about DECT ( used for radio phones I believe ). I spoke to tech support, they could ( would ) not help me disable this on the modem. There was an option to pay $120 for premium support, but for that I could just buy an old cisco modem.

I looked in to opening up the modem and snipping some stuff out, but that was a last resort.

Bridge mode with wifi off worked. EMR radio dropped to very low, v/m2 still a bit high, but it's next to an electric applicance so to be expected.

To ram home the point, I wrapped al foil around a shoe box and dropped it over the router. It made a big difference to the DECT radiation, but once that was all off the al foil box just looked like a naf chrstmas present.

Here's what worked to disable DECT and get netgear cable gateway max modem router to safer levels:

1. Turn off Air in Telstra MyAccount.

2. Switch modem to 'bridged mode'.

3. Use a different wifi router, and plug it in to the lan port of the gateway max.

4. Turn off wifi on the galaxy max using the button.

Now connect to the wifi access port on your replacement wifi router. It should be getting internet access from the gateway max, but it will be doing the NAT and wifi for you now.

I also noticed a small improvement in ping ( 21ms using galaxy max as modem / router / wifi down to 16ms just as modem and another device for router / wifi ) but needed to be over a longer test for any significant result.

Hope this helps,

w

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now